Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Big Tens
Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I think a lot of people have said the same thing, he relies on counter wrestling too much and not enough offense. It's nothing he can't improve on though. At least his match against Gomez didn't have any controversial calls, it was pretty straight forward."

Agreed.
I don't see a new version in 2 weeks buy if we do, watch out.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Joyce added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Quote from Jeff Fortman's post:

"Not if he goes in as the 3rd seed. If hes 4th he would be in his half. Unless of course we have a new #1."

He wont. It’ll be Milner or Gomez. Tariq is the two unless he loses in ACC final. Sasso will be the 4th or 5th depending on what they do with Milner/Gomez at 3/4

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Ahhh. Yea, not ideal. Maybe he needed a little kick to get into high gear. Just a shame it happened at the big ten final

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Not a good Sunday for the Bucks. In the contested matches they looked tired. I get it, the Big Tens are incredibly difficult. I've never seen so many forfeits at the Big Tens. I'm used to seeing this at the US open on the back side, but not at conferences. Moving to a format where the top 33 guys are seeded, and allocations exist has created a situation where conference tournaments are devalued and gamesmanship has taken hold. It may create a more fairly balanced bracket at nationals, but at what cost? Forfeits, dodging matchups, intentional medical forfeits, etc?

Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Guys, that was BORING!!! The forfeits are bad, but man, watching so many top level guys refuse to be aggressive is awful. I respect Desanto for taking risks, same for Gomez. But what other Big Ten champ went out there and tried to score points and build a lead?

And I know it has been said before, but sitting over an ankle on top has to be stalling. That has to be added to the 5 second count rule.

Also, the Bull, while I love him, moving side to side on the edge of the mat not letting his opponent back on is also stalling!

Everything I just mentioned is bad for the sport!

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"Guys, that was BORING!!! The forfeits are bad, but man, watching so many top level guys refuse to be aggressive is awful. I respect Desanto for taking risks, same for Gomez. But what other Big Ten champ went out there and tried to score points and build a lead?

And I know it has been said before, but sitting over an ankle on top has to be stalling. That has to be added to the 5 second count rule.

Also, the Bull, while I love him, moving side to side on the edge of the mat not letting his opponent back on is also stalling!

Everything I just mentioned is bad for the sport!"

I couldn’t agree more. There was only like 2-3 matches I thought were fun to watch.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Riding has got to be the next change in our sport. I respect the skill of Starocci on top but all he's doing is hanging on. If you can't turn or dominate on top but bottom but he can't escape, stop the action and return bottom to neutral with no point awarded.

And I hate the out of bounds thing. It's so inconsistent.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

"Guys, that was BORING!!! The forfeits are bad, but man, watching so many top level guys refuse to be aggressive is awful. I respect Desanto for taking risks, same for Gomez. But what other Big Ten champ went out there and tried to score points and build a lead?

Everything wrong with the current NCAA rules & seeding was in display here. Think about this — Amine and Brooks are in same side now because Hidlay - who hasn’t beaten anybody in top 6 will get #1 seed. BUT if Amine hd MFF, he’d have 3 seed. Beat defendinn Champ and your reward is a big fat nothing burger.

Flaming garbage heap.

I know you are a Michigan guy Hank so no offense but I can’t stand Michigan having a bunch of guys in their lineup that graduated HS 6-8 years ago.

Next year they lose 125 (6th)-141 (8th year) 149 (6th) 174(7th)-184 (7th year) 197 and rumor has Paris might play football his Sr year.

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Everything wrong with the current NCAA rules & seeding was in display here. Think about this — Amine and Brooks are in same side now because Hidlay - who hasn’t beaten anybody in top 6 will get #1 seed. BUT if Amine hd MFF, he’d have 3 seed. Beat defendinn Champ and your reward is a big fat nothing burger.

Flaming garbage heap."

I think it will be the following:

1. Amine
2. Hidlay
3. Brooks
4. Kid from UNI

Joe Johnson added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

So true. They’ve ruined this tournament with forfeits. It’s shameful. I can live with Kemerer. I think he’s really hurt. Cassioppi and Eirman forfeits were a joke. Did this trend start when Cael forfeited to Myles Martin in the finals? I’ve kind of lost track. This was like watching the nba all star game.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

My brother and I said the same exact thing!!

I’m appalled by Iowa forfeiting all those matches. The “Iowa style”, and hard nosed crap is just a bunch of hot air.

Don Bork added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Agree with everything being discussed. All the forfeit’s, stall rides, etc., but in the end the Buckeyes had eight matches for top eight places. We won three by forfeit and lost all five we wrestled. A pathetic finish.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Some of the matches where Buckeye wrestlers had no offense was perplexing. Romero’s match for third place was one. He backed up the entire match and was lucky he only got dinged for stalling once. There was definite improvement on getting escapes which had plagued them for years. The offense seemed to regress though. I’m still puzzled as to why Smith didn’t attack Kemerer more after he took injury time.

The forfeits were awful. Even Iowa fans were booing when Cassiopi ducked Gable.

Overall the Bucks had about as good a tourney as one would expect at 4th place.

Jim Fox added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

What a disappointing day of wrestling. As discussed not only how the Bucks wrestled but all the MFF's. Today it seemed that just about all the wrestlers were not into it. All had qualified for nationals so the ones that wrestled did so to not get hurt. Winning was not important. Sure, there were a few matches where both went at it but not many.

We have heard almost all the coaches from the Big10 talk about the only thing that matters is Nationals. If this the direction the Big10 is headed then fewer and fewer fans are going to go. I sat in a section of all Iowa people and they were pissed at all of Iowa MFF's today. Some of them have going to Big10's for well over 25 years and they were even talking about not coming anymore.

Now I'm sitting in a hotel room in Des Moines Iowa with 4 inches of snow on the ground and it's still snowing. Perfect ending to a bad day!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next