Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Mendez v Bouzakis
Jim Behrens added to this discussion on June 15, 2022

Guys,
Asking for a friend.
When writing, especially if the post is long or has many different directions to it, please start using paragraphs. I suspect that every one of us had a English teacher who would be most upset at what they see here. Look to what Hank or Brian Matthews do as an example.
Too many people seem to now use "text speak" when writing and it is NOT reader friendly.
Let the flame war begin!
Thanx,
Jim

Last edited by Jim Behrens on June 15, 2022; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 15, 2022

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"Guys,
Asking for a friend.
When writing, especially if the post is long or has many different directions to it, please start using paragraphs. I suspect that even one of us had a English teacher who would be most upset at what they see here. Look to what Hank or Brian Matthews do as an example.
Too many people seem to now use "text speak" when writing and it is NOT reader friendly.
Let the flame war begin!
Thanx,
Jim"

I don’t sense negativity. I sense constructive help; trying to make the reading more user friendly. No shame in that.

As a 7th grade ELA teacher, I’m just glad punctuation is being utilized!

ps: have we compared this incoming class to something already? I know, I know - they haven’t even stepped on a college mat. I get it! But my question is have we compared this incoming class to another incoming class when that compared class was incoming?

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 15, 2022

While we’re at it, stop with the duplicate posts.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on June 15, 2022

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"While we’re at it, stop with the duplicate posts."

^^^ I second what Drew said.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on June 15, 2022

^^^ I second what Drew said.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on June 15, 2022

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"

^^^ I second what Drew said."

Love it!!

Love it!!

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 16, 2022

This class is by far the best Ohio state has ever had. Three out of the top four kids I don’t believe has ever been done before by any program period. Then you add in a guy Luke Geog, who I believe is the most undervalued kid in the entire class. I believe he is going to be an absolute stud at the college level. I am very hesitant on Shumate however as he has steadily been falling in the rankings the last three years and even lost his district title match. Shumate as a sophomore was a top 5 p4p guy and fell tremendously since. I’m pretty sure Feldman last loss period was to Shumate. He has been committed for three years and probably cost Ohio state Fishback. He would have made this class ridiculous.

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"Guys,
Asking for a friend.
When writing, especially if the post is long or has many different directions to it, please start using paragraphs. I suspect that even one of us had a English teacher who would be most upset at what they see here. Look to what Hank or Brian Matthews do as an example.
Let the flame war begin!
Thanx,
Jim"

I don’t sense negativity. I sense constructive help; trying to make the reading more user friendly. No shame in that.

As a 7th grade ELA teacher, I’m just glad punctuation is being utilized!

ps: have we compared this incoming class to something already? I know, I know - they haven’t even stepped on a college mat. I get it! But my question is have we compared this incoming class to another incoming class when that compared class was incoming?"

Well the NCAA just changed the policy for true freshman. A true freshman can’t wrestle unattached first semester, but can wrestle 5 times attached without using a year of eligibility.

This is a game changer. Imagine letting Feldman wrestle against Iowa or penn state without using any eligibility.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on June 16, 2022

Interesting. So can true freshman still wrestle in the several early tournaments without burning a redshirt or using these 5 opportunities? I'd imagine this would apply to dual meets or entering a guy in the Southern Scuffle (Early 2nd semester tournament).

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 16, 2022

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"Well the NCAA just changed the policy for true freshman. A true freshman can’t wrestle unattached first semester, but can wrestle 5 times attached without using a year of eligibility."

This is a bit of a game changer. Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on June 16, 2022

[quote="Nick Lecklider"]This class is by far the best Ohio state has ever had. Three out of the top four kids I don’t believe has ever been done before by any program period. Then you add in a guy Luke Geog, who I believe is the most undervalued kid in the entire class. I believe he is going to be an absolute stud at the college level. I am very hesitant on Shumate however as he has steadily been falling in the rankings the last three years and even lost his district title match. Shumate as a sophomore was a top 5 p4p guy and fell tremendously since. I’m pretty sure Feldman last loss period was to Shumate. He has been committed for three years and probably cost Ohio state Fishback. He would have made this class ridiculous.”

I do not think Shumate fell “tremendously,” though he didn’t finish on the trajectory he had started. He still won states.

I really would have liked to have Fishback at TOSU. Much like Rowlands he started lighter then got big but still wrestled like a lightweight. I understood he really liked NC St. regardless of what the Buckeyes did.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 16, 2022

"

"Well the NCAA just changed the policy for true freshman. A true freshman can’t wrestle unattached first semester, but can wrestle 5 times attached without using a year of eligibility."

This is a bit of a game changer. Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds."

not much, since the freshman cannot wrestle in Big Tens nor NCAA

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on June 16, 2022

I believe the early season tournaments WILL count as 1 of the 5. So if a freshman wrestled at the Michigan State Open, they would do so attached and use 1 of their 5 slots, but not burn a year of eligibility.

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

"

This is a bit of a game changer. Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds."

not much, since the freshman cannot wrestle in Big Tens nor NCAA"

Yes that they can not do, but imagine a dual with penn state or Iowa or Michigan. If Feldman proves to be better that Tate he could wrestle kerkvliet parris and cassiopi without ever burning a redshirt. Mendes and bouzakis can wrestle every big ten dual and show that they are ready or not and can alternate matches with zero redshirt loss. You can even throw in a guy like Geog or Shumate against a less formidable opponent. I don’t see how this isn’t a game changer. If you wrestled one dual before your redshirt was burnt. This is pretty big in my opinion.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next