Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks at Collegiate Duals 12.19-20
Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 20, 2022

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"I can’t wait to never have to watch Tate wrestle again.

Bucks fall to UNI 19-13. I know it’s a meaningless dual and in the end these matches don’t mean a lot. But how do they not have a better option at 157-165. Wilcox is average at best and not having a legit backup kills you.

Rumor Carson is out for the year and Hepner will start moving forward"

Having to use 149 lb Reeves at 165 and later 157 lb. Brown at 165 isn't going to do it.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on December 20, 2022

Two things. Firstly, UNI is a pretty solid dang team. You know what you’re getting from a Schwab coached team. Each bout is going to be a war. This is all team that finished well ahead of OSU at Cliff Keen and then backed it up in a dual. Outside of 125 they are pretty solid top to bottom. Let’s be honest, we should’ve probably lost at 133 too, had it not been for some wizardry from Bousakis at the end. The coaches had to know going in that they were not favored at 133, 141, 157, 165, 184, and 285. I’m not a math genius but 6 of 10 does not make us favorites. We had previous losses to the same opponents at 141 and 285, and we were wrestling back ups at 157 and 165. Luckily we have another stud 133. Do I think OSU should always beat UNI, yes. But in hindsight we should not be surprised.
Sasso did not lose because he was the inferior wrestler. Sasso lost because of poor positioning that he put himself in. For the life of me Im not sure what he is trying to do there, but he has clearly tried that same maneuver in previous matches. He essentially is extended in head outside single position and then attempts to step over the near leg and roll the guy into a Peterson position. Instead he gets stuck in near fall. The UNI kid did not score a single offensive point outside of the position that Sasso put himself in. Again, he beat himself. Sammy will be fine. I am curious how he stacks up against the ISU kid. With seeding I don’t see a scenario where Sammy gets seeded at nationals in the top four. Best case scenario now is a six seed away from Yanni. 4/5 don’t help and I don’t think he can get the 3 unless he beats Gomez at big tens.
The team needs a break for recovery. Plain and simple. Half the team is either injured or taped up. RR

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on December 20, 2022

Well said, Jared.

It is true that unless you're talking about losing a starting QB in football, it's likely that losing a starter in wrestling in the most meaningful loss in sports. Specifically in college when juggling RSs, travel budgets, guys competing in opens, etc.

Having said that - I do believe OSU should always beat the 3rd best team from Iowa.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on December 20, 2022

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"
That was a great Match, and I thought they could have given him the pin."

We don't "give" anything.
Everything is earned, the official simply awards it.
BTW, one truism is that if a fall is there we are happy. It gets us off the mat which lessens the chances of screwing something up!"

I thought they could have awarded him the pin :). I felt he had it from my angle in my easy chair. :)

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on December 20, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I remember when Sasso only lost to top ranked guys. Now, he's the guy you beat to climb the rankings. What a fiasco.
I'm a huge Sasso fan but there's something very wrong with how he's being trained/coached, etc...

Staff needs a shake up. Only Anthony Ralph is doing his job well.

What's the point in bringing in top recuits if you have a deeply flawed plan for how to coach them?"

When Michigan brought in Kevin Jackson I thought that was a huge addition to their program, and you can see his impact I believe on the team. He's a big personality and you can hear him constantly coaching from the edge of the mat. And I've seen videos of him teaching wrestling technique and it's obvious he's great at it.
I believe the Buckeyes need a guy like that. Not to replace Tom Ryan necessarily but a guy who can shake up the room.
So, I'm asking you guys, who would you suggest for that job? Who, considering their current situation and history do you think would be an outstanding addition?
I have one, Ben Askren.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on December 20, 2022

Lou Rosselli.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on December 20, 2022

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Lou Rosselli."

I think Lou was great when at Ohio State but has done nothing while at Oklahoma.

I think you need someone younger like Noff or Dake but not getting any of those type of guys till they are done competing.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on December 20, 2022

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"
So, I'm asking you guys, who would you suggest for that job? Who, considering their current situation and history do you think would be an outstanding addition?
I have one, Ben Askren."

Ben would probably be a great addition to most any coaching staff, but I doubt he leaves his Askren Wrestling Academy behind. In addition to that he has multiple side gigs he does. He wouldn't have time for much any of that if he were to coach at the college level, and I'd bet that the amount of money he makes currently is more than he'd make in most any college coaching position. I was a big fan of him as a wrestler, but I just can't see him coaching at the college level.

PS the Iowa boards have these same discussions on staff shake ups and outside of PSU I’m sure a lot fans are having this discussion.

"

"Lou Rosselli."

I think Lou was great when at Ohio State but has done nothing while at Oklahoma.

I think you need someone younger like Noff or Dake but not getting any of those type of guys till they are done competing."

I agree that Rosselli did a great job while he was at tOSU and seems to be struggling at Oklahoma, but the skill set that makes a great assistant coach or a great technician are completely different than the skills it takes to be a great head coach. You see it all the time in football. Some coordinator has success on one side of the ball and is going to be the "next big thing" and takes a head coaching job and just can't seem to make the magic happen when heading up a program.

"

"

"Lou Rosselli."

I think you need someone younger like Noff or Dake but not getting any of those type of guys till they are done competing."

I agree that Rosselli did a great job while he was at tOSU and seems to be struggling at Oklahoma, but the skill set that makes a great assistant coach or a great technician are completely different than the skills it takes to be a great head coach. You see it all the time in football. Some coordinator has success on one side of the ball and is going to be the "next big thing" and takes a head coaching job and just can't seem to make the magic happen when heading up a program."

I agree a ???? with this and you could be right.

I would love to see how PSU would look with Cunningham no longer there. PSU would still be great but I think there would be some drop off.

"

"

"Lou Rosselli."

I agree that Rosselli did a great job while he was at tOSU and seems to be struggling at Oklahoma, but the skill set that makes a great assistant coach or a great technician are completely different than the skills it takes to be a great head coach. You see it all the time in football. Some coordinator has success on one side of the ball and is going to be the "next big thing" and takes a head coaching job and just can't seem to make the magic happen when heading up a program."

I agree a ???? with this and you could be right.

I would love to see how PSU would look with Cunningham no longer there. PSU would still be great but I think there would be some drop off.

"

"

"Lou Rosselli."

I agree a 100% with this and you could be right.

Absolutely. One of the hidden secrets to Penn State's success is that they have almost perfect continuity within the staff. I'm sure any one of their assistants could get almost any head coaching gig that comes up but they're not even mentioned as a possibility. Has anyone from that staff ever left? Has anyone even been interviewed by another program?

When a program is successful, the staff gets poached by the competition. It happens all the time. With the success Penn State has had, you'd think they'd be bleeding coaches.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on December 20, 2022

Very few programs can afford to pay their head coach what the assistant and associate coaches make at PSU or OSU.

That along with being a part of something special and enjoying your role are why they haven't been poached.

A Big Ten program or something like Oklahoma, ISU or Virginia Tech could definitely afford them and I feel like Cunningham has interviewed for a couple positions before, but I could be wrong.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next