Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Marcus Blaze
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on July 2, 2024

Feister is NFL bound, not college wrestling.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 2, 2024

James Feister definitely isn’t wrestling you are correct. As a freshman he is already getting offers from Wisconsin and Kentucky among others. He will have a lot more as he gets older. He is even open about football being his true passion. I wouldn’t be surprised if he even stopped wrestling especially after his injury last season. No chance he wrestles in college. To be a starter on a nationally ranked high school football team as a freshman is pretty impressive.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on July 2, 2024

Well that makes Burnett all the more important from an in-state perspective.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 2, 2024

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Well that makes Burnett all the more important from an in-state perspective."

Bingo.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on July 2, 2024

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Well that makes Burnett all the more important from an in-state perspective."

Bingo."

From just in state recruiting, Ohio State has zero top 20 or so seniors for this class committed to the University, obviously we hope that changes with Marcus Blaze. I think he's the only blue-chip recruit for this upcoming senior class.

For upcoming juniors, no one is standing out to me in that class either. Off the top of my head, I would say Karson Brown might be the closest thing to a blue chip recruit? Who knows if OSU is even pursuing him, his bro is going to be a freshman at Pitt.

Upcoming Sophomores- You have Burnett leading the class Not including Fesiter) I think Burnett could be considered a blue chip recruit once he hits his senior season. Not sure about the rest of this class, haven't seen enough from anyone that stands out.

I say this because it appears the next 2-3 years Ohio will be lacking in high-caliber talent that TR must try to keep in state. Other than Blaze it may be pretty quiet on the Ohio front in terms of who Ohio State goes after, they may very well have their eyes set on the PA pipeline or surrounding states. (Raney bros from KY?) I think Burnett is that next one in line where TR needs to go hard after and keep him home.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on July 2, 2024

Thanks Nick - appreciate your perspective.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on September 14, 2024

Blaze beats Seth Gross in a great match. A couple tough matches ahead with Garrett and Fix, but sheesh, he should be competitive in those matches—at least competitive enough to learn a lot from them. Remarkable.

Blaze beats Seth Gross in a great match. A couple tough matches ahead with Garrett and Fix, but sheesh, he should be competitive in those matches—at least competitive enough to learn a lot from them. Remarkable.

Aaannd he beats Nahshon Garrett.

And Fix! Wow. I don’t know if the US has had a high schooler have this much success on the senior level. Just beat two NCAA champs, both of whom are seasoned and productive senior level wrestlers. Then he beats a senior world silver medalist.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 14, 2024

As much as everyone knows Marcus Blaze, I think he is devalued, particularly in Ohio. I don’t know if that he’s not particularly “flashy” or if it’s that he’s lost at Ironman a couple times, but he can make a case for one of the best high schoolers in Ohio history. What he’s done since his loss to Devino at Ironman last year is the best run I’ve ever seen from a high school wrestler.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on September 15, 2024

I’m really curious what his match against Vito will look like. Vito might resemble the closest style matchup to the guy he lost to in the world semis last week. Lightening quick with his attacks.
On the recruiting front I’m not sure it really matters where he goes at this point. He’s immediately going to be the top guy in whatever weight he wrestles. PSU has the best track record of making the best guys elite; however the vast majority of those have been middle and upper weights. I’m bias, but show me a freestyle training situation better than Mendes, Bousakis, Davino, and Stieber? Fingers, toes , arms, and legs crossed that he elects to stay home. Either way, the Blazer is officially GOAT status.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 15, 2024

Come on, Penn State is a better training situation, period.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on September 15, 2024

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Come on, Penn State is a better training situation, period."

Maybe, but Gilman is gone. RBY is gone. Kennedy is gone.

Comparison is basically Lilledahl/Davis/Nagao/Bartlett vs. Kilkeary/Davino/Bouzakis/Mendez.

You can always say Penn State has the better coaches but considering Mendez's trajectory you can at least make the argument that Ohio State is on par for lightweights at the moment.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on September 15, 2024

Blaze picking any school other than Ohio State would be devastating. The term “must get” is overused. Blaze is a must get.

He’s arguably the greatest high school wrestler this fine state has produced. On credentials alone, I’m not sure if it’s arguable. Marcus Blaze as a HS senior would beat David Taylor at the same age. Dustin Schlatter as well. Lee Kemp was before my time.

Blaze after the Fix win talked to reporters and mentioned training at RTCs. Is he going anywhere other than Columbus? Ann Arbor is a closer drive from Perrysburg and offers great partners. Gotta think he’s also spending time at Purdue with Joey.

Ohio State has a lot to offer. So too of course does Penn State. But don’t rule out Oklahoma State. A lot of momentum in Stillwater right now.

One obstacle to Blaze picking Ohio State is Jesse Mendez. They’ll be competing for the same Olympic spot in 2028.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next