Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Marcus Blaze
Rex Holman added to this discussion on September 15, 2024

Blaze is a true outlier and for different reasons; he is technically excellent and has speed. He's subtle in his attack which as mentioned before is different than Bo Bassett. Bo is a motor with constant barrage of attacks. If Bo's opponent isn't conditioned to that level, they will break down quickly and make mistakes. Whereas, Marcus just keeps moving in and out of position while striking like a mongoose. He's using the same attacks that he was using during the high school season, his attacks work due to quality and efficiency.

A couple more thoughts; Aoden Sinclair looked great in the matches I watched. He owned Mirasola with drags and chest wraps and was on way to doing same thing against Aiello. His position cracked into the second period. He was no longer able to maintain position and pace as Aiello was game in creating some low-level attacks which he could'nt answer for.

Basically, he had a hole in his game. That being said he has an offense to be envious of.

You'd have to watch the U20 World Championships to see where Blaze's game can be exploited. I doubt any of those guys he beat watched video of his semi versus Japan leading up to this event.

Last edited by Rex Holman on September 15, 2024; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on September 15, 2024

Also, tOSU is a great place for Blaze to go. He has the brain trust of Stieber, Jaggers, and Scott as light weight coaches.

20/20 Hindsight; tOSU was a great place for Kyle Snyder. Had the right coaching and teammates to accomplish the highest achievement in our sport. PSU did not solve the problem of rising to the top again.

Wrestlers, their coaches or a combination of the two will figure you out and father time will catch up to you.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on September 15, 2024

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

" You'd have to watch the U20 World Championships to see where Blaze's game can be exploited. I doubt any of those guys he beat watched video of his semi versus Japan leading up to this event."

Oh, c’mon. You think a bunch of message board slappies watched the match but paid professionals in his bracket didn’t? No chance. Gross, Garrett, and Fix came up short because Blaze is really good, not because they weren’t prepared or took him lightly. Everyone watched the Japan match.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on September 15, 2024

tOSU is as good of a place for Blaze as any IMO--perhaps better. He looks to be a 141 pounds, give or take a weight class. As Rex noted, OSU has a ton of great coaching and partners around that weight.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 15, 2024

This is where fans lose me. tOSU has an excellent wrestling program. They are clearly in the top tier of NCAA wrestling. In any given year they are somewhere between #2 and #5. They consistently are fielding a team with All American and national champion contenders. They are in the same tier as Iowa, something that would’ve been unheard of in my day. My point being, I’m not “hating” on Ohio State.

Of course an elite wrestler can, and likely will have success at Ohio State. But to say that they are in the same or even a similar position as Penn State is just demonstrably untrue. The only weight where Penn State is not favored against Ohio State would be 141 and even that is a razor thin margin that has gone both ways in the past calendar year. The coaching staff, partners, development results, AAs, National Champions, NCAA team titles, international success, all favor PSU. I guess you could say that the facilities favor Ohio State, but the fact that PSU sells its facility out should more that make that category even.

The only thing that makes Ohio State “better” than Penn State in a wrestling comparison is that it’s the state university of Ohio.

…but I’m wrong a lot.

Michael is very anti-Ohio in this thread!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 15, 2024

I get where people are on this site with regard to tOSU. But most of the posters on here are also smart, knowledgeable wrestling fans who are able to see and understand (if not agree with) a rational argument. I’m trying to go out of my way NOT to be anti Ohio State. They a great program, maybe the second best program in the NCAA? But everyone can agree that they’re not the best program, right? That distinction belongs to Penn State and has for over a decade now.

Again, I’m not saying Blaze can’t or won’t be successful at Ohio State (or Michigan or Iowa for that matter). I’m sure he will. But if the question is, what program has THE BEST situation for a guy like Marcus Blaze. The answer would seem to be obviously Penn State.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on September 15, 2024

Michael, other than Ben you’re fighting strawmen.

What I wonder is… how much did Blaze just run up his NIL price? I don’t even want to speculate what some booster might be willing to pay someone so excellent at freestyle.

What I wonder is… how much did Blaze just run up his NIL price? I don’t even want to speculate what some booster might be willing to pay someone so excellent at freestyle.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on September 16, 2024

"Message board slappies" made me LOL. : )

#PizzaHut

Bill Splete added to this discussion on September 16, 2024

Blaze is the best wrestler in Ohio history. At no point in our sport has a 17 yr old run a gauntlet like what we saw this weekend. NCAA champs, aa, world silver medalist and to only loose by a point or two to the defending world champ is unheard of and. For that he is my number one. It’s subjective sure, but I’m very impressed and was loving how he competed.I don’t believe he has been taken down by anyone in a match in Ohio.
Let’s give a nod to Scottie Burnett, he has guided Blaze in skill, humility and a respect for the sport…while having supreme confidence. Well done!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 16, 2024

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"...
Let’s give a nod to Scottie Burnett, he has guided Blaze in skill, humility and a respect for the sport…while having supreme confidence. Well done!"

Phenomenal point & observation. Kudos indeed.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on September 17, 2024

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"

" You'd have to watch the U20 World Championships to see where Blaze's game can be exploited. I doubt any of those guys he beat watched video of his semi versus Japan leading up to this event."

Oh, c’mon. You think a bunch of message board slappies watched the match but paid professionals in his bracket didn’t? No chance. Gross, Garrett, and Fix came up short because Blaze is really good, not because they weren’t prepared or took him lightly. Everyone watched the Japan match."

Did you just refer to Rex Holman a message board slappie?

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on September 17, 2024

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"

Oh, c’mon. You think a bunch of message board slappies watched the match but paid professionals in his bracket didn’t? No chance. Gross, Garrett, and Fix came up short because Blaze is really good, not because they weren’t prepared or took him lightly. Everyone watched the Japan match."

Did you just refer to Rex Holman a message board slappie?"

If so, I think the singular spelling would be Message Board Slappy...?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4