Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Discussion Topic: CKLV
Jared Ball added to this discussion on December 4, 2021

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Bucks have five AA caliber kids in Sasso, Kharchla, Smith, Romero and Heinselman. The rest of the lineup has bigger question marks. Vegas was not particularly deep this year and Bucks still failed to place at several weights where the expectation was they would. Hoffman and D'Emilio bowed out too soon. Orndorff should have won his semi. I'm more forgiving of Kharchla but he is capable of beating Griffith.
Bucks need to figure out how to get to their offense faster and how to tactically improve. Easier said than done."

I like Orndorf’s chances of AA better than Malik’s. Depending on the draw and what version shows up. Orndorf had a losing record last head heading into NCAAs. All the best heavies are in the Big Ten. He had one sequence against Harvard that was the difference between him and the finals. I think Lance is just genuinely better.
Some of these weights are brutally deep. I don’t care who the Bucks throw out at 141. They are not good enough to crack the top 8, even on their best weekend. 184 is very deep. Romero looked awfully impressive, but consider that Venz is ranked outside of the top ten. That demonstrates the quality of depth.
Order of operations for highest all America finish in this order: Sasso, Karchla, Smith, Orndorf, Romero. I still contend that this Bucks team is probably in the 6-8 range.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 4, 2021

Jared--good points.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on December 6, 2021

The Buckeyes had a couple bright spots in seeing Romero win it all and Karchla beating up on Cornell without his knee brace.

But, on the other hand, it was the same old tOSU struggling on bottom. How bad? Karchla lost to Griffith because of a riding time point. Smith lost to Labriola because of a riding time point tying the match and sending it into overtime. And Sasso lost to Yianni because he never took a single shot until the third period because he was ridden for 2:50 almost losing by the three minute insta-death criteria advocated by Ben Askren. Coach Ryan said they worked on the bottom position in the off-season. I guess not enough or not the right way.

Also, it was super-cool to see Gas Tank Gary win it all

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5