Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Discussion Topic: Va. Tech v. TOSU
Don Bork added to this discussion on November 13, 2022

Actually is Carson’s fourth year. And Smith and Romero both returned to reach personal and TEAM goals. And now folks are discussing changes to the “planned” lineup for the benefit of one wrestler with no guarantee his placement would be better at 157 than 149.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Alex Creech added to this discussion on November 13, 2022

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Actually is Carson’s fourth year. And Smith and Romero both returned to reach personal and TEAM goals. And now folks are discussing changes to the “planned” lineup for the benefit of one wrestler with no guarantee his placement would be better at 157 than 149."

You're right, this is his 4th year. His 2nd year in the lineup.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 13, 2022

I have no dog in this fight. I didn’t even watch the dual. I head that Sasso looked gassed late in his bout. It might have nothing to do with the cut. My only insight about Gallagher and Carson is that they wrestled at higher weights in high school.

I may be alone on this, but I have always felt that, at it’s core, wrestling is a individual sport and guys should go to the weight class that they think gives them the best chance to win. When individuals are successful within a program, it attracts other individuals who have high goals. The team aspects come from each individual reaching their goals.

Also, I think our sport is all too often about weight loss…as opposed to bring about wrestling.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 13, 2022

Ultimately, falling short of expectations leads to speculation as to why something isn’t what we perceive it should be. We have high expectations for this program, and specifically this team. 2018 seems awfully far away at this point. That’s the last time the Bucks were in trophy contention, and shockingly…the last national champ. The Bucks are due…and will need to be a better version then what they put out on Friday (not to state the obvious). BTW, did my eyes deceive me or did anyone else see Feldman in what looked to be a neck brace? Yikes.

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 13, 2022

I did see that but did not want to be the one to communicate that, perhaps you are more courageous than I. My hope is that the next two duals and the Cliff Keen will help to assuage TOSUs fans concerns regarding weight concerns with the program.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on November 13, 2022

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Also, I think our sport is all too often about weight loss…as opposed to bring about wrestling."

Couldn't agree more.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 14, 2022

Changing line-ups based upon the fist dual of the season and a 1 hr on the mat post weigh-in when the tournaments won’t be like this at all (see energy level at MSU Open) is, IMHO, silly. B1G and Natty is only meets of consequence — and the guys cutting some weight will have more than enough recovery time.

…and other teams are allowed to be really tough also.

Just my $0.02

It was good to see Kaleb escape quickly from a very very good top wrestler in Bolen and Ethan wrestled Mekhi very tough for not practicing in the days leading up to the dual.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 15, 2022

Brady: Kaleb Romero became a significantly better wrestler when he stopped making a huge wt cut. You may be right about some of us overreacting....or we may just believe that others on this team would benefit similarly. Your point that it's just the first dual is valid.

My opinion--Tom Ryan wants the best possible lineup each year and sometimes forces the pieces to fit. Not all programs think this way.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on November 17, 2022

I listened to the FloRadioLive podcast talk about the tOSU VT dual. They sounded pretty concerned about the Buckeyes.

Ben Askren, especially. He said that Sammy Sasso and Carson Kharchla are doing basically the same moves from when they showed up in Columbus and their opponents have figured them out. He also noticed that Carson hasn't been the same since his knee injury, which is unfortunate.

Hopefully, they can start evolving as wrestlers, but the Buckeyes are kind of known for not improving on bottom, or other facets of their games, lately. Maybe a new coach in the room can expose the Bucks to new approaches and techniques.

Or it could all be a weight cut issue and some guys get more disciplined and everything is solved. That would be cool.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 19, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Brady: Kaleb Romero became a significantly better wrestler when he stopped making a huge wt cut. You may be right about some of us overreacting....or we may just believe that others on this team would benefit similarly. Your point that it's just the first dual is valid. "

Correct. Kaleb was cutting way too much weight to make 165.

His years at 174 and 184 have been significantly better.

Long year to improve & get issues resolved -- or it's just a long year. Hoping for the former.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5