Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Official Harry Lester Thread
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 14, 2008

Harry wins his first round match 6-0 and 5-0 over Jacob Hey. He'll take on high school phenom Jake Deitchler in the semis.

In the top half, US Nationals Champ, Mark Rial, was upset by Oscar Wood.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Kevin Schlosser added to this discussion on June 14, 2008

Harry Lester was upset in the semis by Jake Deitchler. He won the first period but lost the next two.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on June 14, 2008

It is being reported that Harry Lester left his shoes in the center of the mat after winning his 3rd place match. What's next for the 2x world medalist?

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on June 14, 2008

I am watching the live broadcast on nbcolympics.com and they said that Oscar Wood, Harry's opponent in the 3rd place match, left his shoes in the middle of the mat. Can anyone confirm?

I doubt Harry retired. That wouldn't make sense. What would have made sense was for Harry to move up a weight class as the cut was phenomenally difficult. I watched Dantzler v Haight and had no doubt Harry would have rocked either one of those guys.

I hope Harry chooses to continue. He's such a fabulous wrestler. He needs to move up a weight and win the next worlds.

I'll have more to offer on this topic in a few days.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on June 14, 2008

I agree that Harry is capable of succeeding at 74kg, but I wouldn't say that he would "rock" TC. I think that Harry and TC are some the most exciting wrestlers to come out of the US; it would be a match to remember for sure.

Good luck and prayers to Harry in whatever he decides to do with the rest of his career!

Stu Herman added to this discussion on June 15, 2008

http://wrestling.flocasts.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234021-us-olympic-trials-2008/66129-harry-lester

Harry is retiring. I hope something changes his mind because there isn't a wrestler in the world that I've been more excited to watch from match to match in my life, but at the same time I understand. The interview above just shows what a complete class act he is even at such a difficult moment in his life.

Al McIntosh added to this discussion on June 15, 2008

Needless to say I along with the entire Ohio Wrestling Community I was just crushed after his lost. I personally went into a little bit of deep depression in the aftermath. Thank goodness that Hank gave me a call and lifted my spirits a bit. I'm fully convince, as is everyone else is that, Harry was the best shot for the U.S. to medal at the weight class in Beijing. I'm also convince that despite the lost he was the best wrestler at that event, unfortunately just not that day. I've know Harry since he was 10 years old. I coached his older brother Damion, and stay close to the Lester family even to this day. Harry is a true champion in every sense of the word. The greatest wrestler I have ever had the opportunity to know up close and personal. Harry has announced his retirement, and although I realize he's young and would be a instant world title challenger at 74 kg/ 163 lb next year, after listening to his retirement interview I've have not known Harry to change his mind once he makes a decision. His interview was classy and courageous. http://wrestling.flocasts.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234021/66129-harry-lester-us-olympic-trials-2008 He leaves the sport accomplishing the following:

2x World Bronze Medalist
Pan Am Games Gold Medalist
3x U.S. World Team Member
U.S. National Champ
University National Champ - Freestyle
4x University National Champ – Greco Roman
Jr. National Greco Roman Champ
FILA Cadet Freestyle World Champ
4x Ohio High School State Champ

Harry has always been know to give free clinics, teach kids whenever possible and he once shared with me that his dream job would be to teach science or history (he is certified to teach both) and coach wrestling for a school that wasn't known for it's wrestling so he could build that program from the ground up. Harry has gone through a tough year personally, but he has always been able to keep his faith and perspective on what truly is important.

To Harry I want to say congratulations for all you done and a truly incredible career. Thank you for all the good years, for giving my son a pair of your youth wrestling shoes (which he still has to this day) for all the free clinics, for allowing the CVCA kids to drive up to Northern Michigan and invade your apartment for a week, for all the great wrestling memories at the World Trials, especially the first time you made your first World Team at Iowa State in 2005, for all of our great discussions. I'll always be there for you and your family. If there is anything I can do let me know.

- Coach Mac

Kevin Schlosser added to this discussion on June 15, 2008

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 15, 2008

Kevin: the shoes photo is classic.

► Add to the Discussion