Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: David Taylor not wrestling at Fargo
Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on July 19, 2008

There's been a lot of speculation and rumors about why he isn't going...
But does anybody know the real reason?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 20, 2008

I have no idea why David wouldn't be wrestling in Fargo, but let's remember a few things before this discussion gets going...

He has won five Fargo titles already, and the only one he didn't win, he only lost on a fluke pin in the championship match in Greco-Roman the summer after his 8th grade year.

Through three years, Taylor has never lost a freestyle match in Fargo (and he only lost that one match in Greco-Roman). That has to be a record of something like 50-1.

Oh yeah, and he made the Junior World Team last year at 110 pounds, and was a Junior World Team finalist this year at 121 pounds.

Taking all that into account, it's very safe to say he's not missing the tournament because the competition is difficult.

Maybe he's injured... Maybe he just wants a break... Maybe his name just isn't listed yet... I don't know what the reason is, but I know if he was there, there's no doubt in my mind he'd do awesome once again.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 20, 2008

Anthony:

My understanding is that Taylor has been working camps at Iowa State. He may be focusing on folkstyle at this time or taking a well deserved break.

If his next goal is to win multiple NCAA titles (does anyone doubt he'd like to become the next 4 time champ--and is there anyone more likely to do it), he may feel that his goals are better served by spending time with Cael and staff in Ames. Certainly, there's nothing left for him to prove at the high school level.

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on July 20, 2008

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Anthony:

My understanding is that Taylor has been working camps at Iowa State. He may be focusing on folkstyle at this time or taking a well deserved break.

If his next goal is to win multiple NCAA titles (does anyone doubt he'd like to become the next 4 time champ--and is there anyone more likely to do it), he may feel that his goals are better served by spending time with Cael and staff in Ames. Certainly, there's nothing left for him to prove at the high school level."

That's what I was thinking...

Everyone keeps saying it's because of Logan Stieber but it would be pointless for the Ohio team to put them in the same weight class (even if they are in the same weight class) so I can rule that out...

the only thing I can think of besides a very well deserved break is to train at a higher level. Why settle for Same old high school training when he can train at an olympic level¿?
That's pretty much the smartest thing to do right now. I just can't wait to see how good he is next year after training with the legendary Cael Sanderson!!!

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on July 21, 2008

I have seen no one say he is not there cause Logan. Not saying your wrong but where you seein this?

Mike Datillo added to this discussion on July 21, 2008

It has been said on other Ohio forums that he was scared of Stieber which is foolish! I do not know the kid personally, but he does not seem like the type to avoid competition.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 21, 2008

Quote from Mike Datillo's post:

"... he does not seem like the type to avoid competition."

I agree, and so does everyone who isn't just looking to start some forum "smack talk." Taylor has been to entirely different countries seeking out the best competition! Like I said before, he's already won Fargo five times in three years and has already faced the likes of Stieber, Sanders, etc. For anyone to say that he's not going because he's ducking someone is ridiculous. So, of course, they will. (haha)

Mike Datillo added to this discussion on July 21, 2008

Yes, unfortunately some people thrive on making up stories about high school kids!

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on July 21, 2008

Well no he is not running from Stieber. He is at some camps or something in Iowa State. The Kid has won 5 out of 6 finals in Fargo and is great.

► Add to the Discussion