Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: National Wrestling Hall of Fame - Ohio Chapter?
Tony Salisbury added to this discussion on July 29, 2008

I wanted to ask some of you guys why isn't there an Ohio Chapter for the National Wrestling Hall of Fame?? I grew up in Ohio and wrestled at Norton and at Mount Union. And everyone on this board knows what an impact the state of Ohio has had on wrestling whether it be NCAA or International competiton as well as on a national stage in high school. I coach here in South Carolina and we far behind many states but we are getting better. The AAU program has grown from 500 kids to 2,000 in just over a few years which is a huge help considering there is NO youth programs anywhere in SC. But back on the topic, during the last year or so I have had the pleasure to meet and get to know Bill Lam. Coach Lam was the coach for North Carolina for many years and is very involved in the Hall of Fame and I was talking with him over the weekend and he mentioned to me he was going to the Ohio coaches clinic to talk to the coaches about starting up a Ohio chapter to the Hall of Fame. I couldn't believe there wasn't a chapter? Does anyone know why? We just started ours 2 years ago here in SC and I will tell you it really is great to honor the coaches and people who have done so much for the sport. I had a chance to go to Stillwater,OK last year to visit the Hall of Fame and it was awesome to go through and look at all the history and meet some legends in wrestling. I don't have a clue what the story is with not having a chapter for Ohio but does anyone have any info on why? There are so many who deserve that honor coming from Ohio. Thanks in advance! Tony

www.wrestlinghalloffame.org

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 30, 2008

Tony,
what is needed is one person with credentials to volunteer to head it & get others to help him do the work, i think the H of F wants someone to organize a banquet every year ------- with everything else going on year round in Ohio wrestling, theres apparently more work to be done than credentialed people with time and motivation to do it.

what would be the benefits to Ohio beyond what is happening with already existing organization? Maybe there are some ?

Ohioans inducted in Stillwater Oklahoma incl the highest honor Distinguished Members , Bobby Douglas, Bill Kerslake, Mike Milkovich, Pat Milkovich, Lee Kemp, Joe Scalzo, (Russ Hellickson but his H of F accomplishment belong to the state of Wisconsin)--- and officials Sandy Cageao and Dick Torio, and perhaps a few others are in for Lifetime Service.

A state chapter is not necesssary to be inducted. -------i do know if an Ohioan is deserving of being inducted, on some level, into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame-- for lifetime service which is the most likely since u have to be a god to be a Distinguished Member-- the candidates credentials & resume alone will get him in regardless of whether there is a state chapter...... but someone of note has to write the candidate up and recommend him, i know that much.

i went to bat hard for Bill Weick of illinois, in my column in AWN, only to keep his name & accomplishment alive --- it took years but he was inducted as Distinguished Member in 2007. It was long overdue.

Last edited by Bob Preusse on July 30, 2008; edited 2 times in total

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on July 30, 2008

It is interesting how Pat was the "kid brother" and at least in terms of the HOF wound up surpassing Tom. Then again, Pat had a tremendous college career. Not that Tom's was bad at all.

Tony Salisbury added to this discussion on July 30, 2008

I was just curious on why there wasn't a state chapter. I've only recently been involved with the Hall of Fame and was surprised to see Ohio without a chapter. However, I do think there are deserving people in Ohio that should be recognized for all there work and dedication to the sport. I do agree with you, on a national scale, being a god is pretty much what it takes but I think on a state level, it would be good to be able to honor certain coaches or wrestlers. Brian Brakeman or Bill Barger would come to mind.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on July 30, 2008

I know he got great results, but how many different cities/zip codes/counties did Barger's wrestlers come from? How accomplished were they before they got to Walsh?

"I do agree with you, on a national scale, being a god is pretty much what it takes but I think on a state level, it would be good to be able to honor certain coaches or wrestlers. Brian Brakeman or Bill Barger would come to mind."

Tony,
Ohio has a Coaches Hall of Fame already, inductees are named annually at the Ohio state tournament. Barger is in already. Brakeman is in as a Ohio Media Service Awardee, one media member is named at each state tourn.

i do think a few other Ohioans could be inducted for Lifetime Service in the National H of F, but someone who knows them needs to write them up and recommend them. don't need a National H of F chapter to do that.
-------------------------------------------------

re coach Bill Barger-- i agree private schools have an advantage-- in Barger's case he co-founded the famed North Akron Wrestling Club which has produced mega-youth talent over the last 25 years. Much of it went to Walsh Jesuit but Not all of it went to Walsh Jesuit either (Harry Lester for one). Ohio Hall of Fame very well deserved for coach Barger, imo-- very very well deserved.

btw, National Hall of Fame induction wont be happening for any private high school wrestling coach, imo -- maybe for Lifetime Service but not as a Distinguished Member. I say that knowing the politics of the game.

After all theres only 7 primarily high school coaches in the National H of F as Distinguished Members as is. Yes, Bill Weick did coach a long time at Chicago Mt Carmel, but he had alot of other credentials too: 2X NCAA champ, several time United States Olympic coach, et all.

OK I get it. Ohio does not need a Chapter. I will now sink back into my little part of the Southeast and remain an avid lurker here on OW.Net

thanks for bringing it up for discussion, Tony--- if someone out there volunteers to do the work i am sure it would be of some benefit. But someone must organize it & do the work, always very hard to find these people.

one benefit could be to bring to the surface names that could be-- should be-- recommended for Lifetime Service, or even Distinguished Member if warranted but that bar is very very high. Maybe we have another deserving official who has worked alot of national or international events besides Sandy Cageao and Dick Torio ?

It is a lot of work, the guy I coach with is the president of the SC chapter and I helped him some organizing the banquet and also putting together a golf tournament to help raise money to keep the chapter going. You have to pay the H of F $4,000 to keep it going each year. I was just really surprised to see Ohio not have one but I also did not know about the coaches H of F you mentioned so I understand where Ohio might not need one. But I will say this, if anybody on here has chance to visit Stillwater and check out the H of F, it really is worth it. They are in talks now of building a brand new facility which from the plans they are talking about just going to be amazing.

► Add to the Discussion