Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Sam White to Illinois
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on September 2, 2008

Good get for Illinois. (per Jason Bryant and InterMat)

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/pr/recruits/profiles/profiledetails.aspx?ID=1825&Year=-1

They haven't really recruited Ohio (successfully) much since the Ott/Jayne days. With the success of those two I'm suprised they don't come to Ohio every year, although HS wrestling in Illinois improves every year.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 2, 2008

oooh... Could've done without that one!

Oh well, you truly can't get them all. Good luck to Mr. White, in Illinois, with the blue and orange singlet.

(I give the Clue reference because I think this kid will be a 'killer' in the Big Ten!) <smile>

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on September 2, 2008

Projects to the 133# weight class collegiately. Most likely to be at 125 or 130 pounds for his senior year of high school.

Fargo: JN FS 2nd (125), CN FS 2nd (112), CN FS 4th (105)
Notable wins in those tournaments over the last two years include victories over Destin McCauley and Tony Ramos, among others.

State: 2nd (112) 2008, 1st (103) 2007, backup to Genetin (103) 2006

Medina: 2nd (112) 2007, 1st (103) 2006

Ironman: 2nd (119) 2007, 5th (102) 2006

Notable wins 2007-08 season: Miller (Ironman), Neibert (Ironman), Garofalo - VA (Ironman), Spisak - PA (KOTM), Gribschaw - PA (KOTM), Fuller (State Duals), DiJulius (Mayfield), Mitcheff (state semi)

Congrats to Sam and his family on this bit of good news, and also credit to the Illini program on bringing in a very talented wrestler.

--

Illinois has improved as a wrestling state over the last few years. The Fargo production and performance at Junior Duals (both FS and GR) speaks to that very well.

The Illini are coming off of a very good recruiting class (top ten, ranked higher than Ohio State, per D1CollegeWrestling.net) - sensational signings include those of Conrad Polz, Jordan Blanton, and BJ Futrell; also don't forget the names of Brian Reynolds, Reece Taylor, and Pat Walker.

--

This looks to be a very good match between wrestler and program, and congrats go out to both parties.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 3, 2008

an aside, fyi: Jason Bryant not with InterMat any longer. Jeff Breese replaced him about a month ago after Jason took a position with J Robinson's organization in MN, whose mission is to put College wrestling on TV.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on September 4, 2008

Is this the same Jeff Breese 2x PIAA state champ from McGuffey high school in PA?

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on September 4, 2008

Best of luck to Sam at Illinois. The Illini are getting a wrestler who I think will do very well in college. He is not only one of the best wrestlers in the nation but he has made marked improvement every year in folkstyle. His freestyle results are outstanding.

About InterMat...
Jason did an awesome job there and completely transformed the website. Jeff has some big shoes to fill.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 4, 2008

"Is this the same Jeff Breese 2x PIAA state champ from McGuffey high school in PA?"
---------------------------

he sure is, in high school Breese was a top ranked lower wt wrestler, he had some injury problems as i recall that may have messed up his high school career. (Breese tells me he will be at the Ironman this year, btw)

when Breese was at McGuffey, AWN had that team ranked as high as # 6 in the nation, as i look back.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on September 4, 2008

No doubt Bob, before he got hurt his sophmore year they say he was the next coming of another McGuffey great do you know who that was? Also, he was favored to win it at 112 or repeat at 103 again (just like the wrestler he was compared to) who won it at 103 or 112 the year he was injured? Just some PA trivia.

"No doubt Bob, before he got hurt his sophmore year they say he was the next coming of another McGuffey great do you know who that was? Just some PA trivia."
--------------------------------

Marlo,
i'm pretty good on trivia, i believe you refer to MARK ANGLE , one of high school wrestlings all time greats-- was he a 3X Fargo Jr national FR champion? i think he was. Went to Clarion and never quite made the NCAA finals but was super in high school. Related to Hall of Famer gold medalist Kurt Angle.

or maybe i am confusing Penn St NCAA champ Hunter with Angle ? yes i think Angle was Canon-McMillon and Hunter was McGuffey.

my many years toiling for AWN have not gone entirely in vein.

that would be Jeremy Hunter, champ for Penn St U at 125 in year 2000, i looked it up to be exact.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on September 5, 2008

You are correct Bob, it was Jeremy Hunter.

Aaron Gibson added to this discussion on September 5, 2008

I saw Jeremy Hunter defeat a future 2x NCAA champ from Iowa by the name of Eric Juergens in the Dapper Dan Dream Team Classic...believe it was in the year of 1995 or 1996. Excellent Match!!!

► Add to the Discussion