Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Adam Frey
Steve Lester added to this discussion on December 26, 2009

I figure others of you have followed his blog for these past 21 months. The news that came last night was sad. When his mom posted this morning that there end was near, I know the USA wrestling world shared tears.

A remarkable story of spirit. The mark he made will not be forgotten.

Adam Frey fought a winning fight.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on December 26, 2009

I think everyone here has been inspired by Adam's fight and courageous battle against this menacing disease. He vowed to fight until the very end and he did. He fought bout after bout of cancer and the wrestling community followed along with on his blog.

He will be sorely missed as he provided me a lot of strength in times of need for myself just by blogging his experience.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 26, 2009

If you haven't followed his blog, it is worth the read. The last few entries, including particularly a Christmas card from former Blair wrestler Mark Bogart, are very touching- that one made me tear up a little.

We are weaker as a whole without Adam, but stronger for the mark he made.

http://adamfrey.us/

Mike Leedy added to this discussion on December 26, 2009

2 of my boys actually had the priviledge of meeting him. We will miss this great representative of the sport.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on December 27, 2009

My prayers go out to the Frey family.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on December 27, 2009

Terrific kid.... i know he will be missed by so many.

i remember spending time with him after his match in the h.s. national finals vs. joey slaton... where it got really physical and he kept his cool - wouldn't swing back at slaton. He was just a really smart, hard-working and fun kid.... .. his wrestling was a pleasure to watch - his technique was masterful - he reminded me of a Russian the way he would chop up a superior athlete.

my heart goes out to his parents. Can't imagine losing a son like that

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 27, 2009

Heartbreaking news....

What a gift his blog has been. His struggle is over and he deserves this peace.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on December 28, 2009

In one of the only matches I ever saw him wrestle, he hit that gorgeous inside trip on Matt Dunn in the Ironman finals (2004?) to win with very short time left. Great match. Great memories. Praying for the Frey family!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on December 28, 2009

no question one of the greatest high school wrestlers of this era, 2X Ironman and Beast back to back champs, not many of those. His Fargo junior freestyle finals vs Frishkorn of Virginia was one of the best matches ive ever seen.

last time i spoke with him was 11 months ago at st Eds for the Blair Quad. He was there, in st Eds cafeteria-- the Blair team celebrated his brother Garrett's birthday with a cake, Garrett had wrestled that day for Blair, he is now at Princeton U.

if you debated your All-Decade national high school team, at 130 pounds Adam Frey might be your # 1 guy? So eloquent on his blog describing his 21 month journey fighting cancer to this end on December 26, he was a superior human being on and off the mat. s/BobP

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on December 28, 2009

Adam Frey is an inspiration to many, including myself.

He will be missed but his legacy will live on in us.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on December 28, 2009

I really enjoyed watching him wrestle, particularly his bout with Slaton at Senior Nationals. Almost seemed like Slaton was baiting him into a fight and Frey kept his cool and just drilled him.

Also a cautionary tale for all those ignorant posters on other sites who questioned his dedication when he failed to make weight a time or two when he had a huge tumor in his gut. The kind of weight you can't cut. The frustration he must have felt.

Amazing the way he shared his journey with others. It is easy to be kind and strong when everything is going well; when you are facing death or other adversity, that is the real test.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 29, 2009

Quote from Mike Hojnacki's post:

"In one of the only matches I ever saw him wrestle, he hit that gorgeous inside trip on Matt Dunn in the Ironman finals (2004?) to win with very short time left. Great match. Great memories. Praying for the Frey family!"

The year before, he teched Brandon Rader 15-0 in the Ironman finals. Let's just say Rader has been pretty good in college. Frey really was a monster in HS.

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on December 29, 2009

I was living outside of Philly and just started taking an interest in the sport again when my daughter's friend was wrestling for Penn Charter prep school. I remember reading in the local newspaper about how a freshman at Blair named Adam Frey had beaten I believe it was Robbie Preston and was starting and winning some matches and making a name for himself as a phenom. Subsequently I had gotten to know and become friendly with Jerry and Cindy Frey and Adam. When I heard about the auto accident and the cancer discovery like so many others I was stunned. I believed if anyone could beat this foe it was Adam who did everything possible to survive. His blog became something I read every day.As many others have pointed out his attitude,faith and determination were an inspiration. He was one of the best I have seen wrestle however he was so much more than that. His loss is huge but his life will continue on in the memories he left behind and in the foundation that bears his name that will seek to help others who have to fight the same fight.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 29, 2009

Adam Frey-

I know that you are gone, but thank you for being a wrestler. Thank you for sharing your experience. It is people like you who make me thankful for what I have and make me feel something at a very deep level. Whether it is a deep sorrow, a compassion towards others, or something that resonates inside me; my best guess is that it is a combination of emotion and experience that responds to your story.

I am a stronger person as a result of you. I am a better person. It gives me strength and conviction in my daily life to have people like you on this planet. Life is about doing your best, come what may. As we cannot control the hand we are dealt, rather how we we deal with that hand. You displayed so much courage, character, strength, toughness, and virtue. We could all only hope to match. Thank you.

► Add to the Discussion