Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Video of Josh Demas in the finals at Medina
Greg Debbe added to this discussion on December 31, 2009

Don't miss the opening whistle.

http://flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/236176-2009-medina-invite-gohiocasts/245122-josh-demas-needs-an-entire-lake-erie-of-purell

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on December 31, 2009

http://gohiocasts.com is a better place to watch it, where it is the feature!

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 31, 2009

He was really impressive in that match, especially considering the quality of his opponent. Alexander is very, very, good. Demas had the major clinched in the second period, I think, then slowed down for the rest of the match. He hits that ankle pick that he uses so effectively beautifully here in this match. After the Medina finals Tuesday, and the Brecksville finals tonight, I've seen a lot of good wrestling in two evenings. I am very glad that they staggered them this year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 3, 2010

Demas is going to need to work a lot on his riding skills. He has talent but he needs a lot of improvement on the mat to be successful in college.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 3, 2010

I think Josh's instincts are great. I think he is very well coached and does numerous things extremely well.

You don't teach quickness or explosiveness, it is an inherent ability; it can be harnessed and maximized. Almost any skill is attainable with proper attention to detail and positive reinforcement. The path that leads you there might be short or long dependent upon the path you take. Whether that skill complements your ability is determined by results.

Admittedly, he goes out to put on a show. This is where I say wrestling is part art, part grind. Wrestling is part art as it is the chief means of expression for the adolescent athlete. Verbal skills are typically nowhere nearly as developed as that of athletic expression. It is obvious that Josh loves wrestling on his feet. It is important that he develop that same type of love and appreciation for wrestling on the mat. That will make his adjustment at the next level as smooth as his takedowns.

At the very least, he needs to develop the respect for what that position affords and become technically efficient to limit his exposure to it. I remember talking to a blue chip who was done with college and had not finished his collegiate career. He was taking down collegiate all-americans as a high schooler and he relayed that he had difficulties with the bottom position and never developed confidence in his skillset for that position.

BTW, thanks Zeb for the coverage

► Add to the Discussion