Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Midlands obsvervations
Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 2, 2010

1- Did anybody notice Ben Jordan at 174? And that he majored Marcus Effner in the first round. I am shocked that he is that big, and that is a very good win. In his next match, he went 7-6 with Duke Burke of Iowa State, the 5th seed, then lost his conso match 5-2 to Ethan Lofthouse, last year's Ironman runner up at 171 to Ruth, now at Iowa. I have to imagine the size difference there was incredible. Despite it being a 1-2, I think these are good match results for him.

2- Also at 174- Derrick Yant had a nice win over Ryan Smith of Oregon State- Smith is a tough customer. He then lost 7-5 to Jordan Blanton, a first class stud.

3- Nick Palmieri had a nice win over Corey Peltier before losing to Keddy 8-3 in the next round and not placing. Peltier had just beaten Mike Miller in the first round.

4- Thomusseit lost 2-0 to David Craig after sticking Nick Anthony of CSU in the first round. Thomusseit then lost in his first wrestleback to David Thompson.

5- After the opening round loss to Peltier, Miller wrestled back to the match to place, losing a one pointer to Jerome Ward of ISU. He doesn't seem to be wrestling well at 184.

6- Logan Brown won a couple of matches in a row before losing 12-4 to Hudson Taylor and then losing again to Patrick Bond in his first wrestleback (an aside- Bond and Taylor were the two Ironman finalists at 189 in 2004). Brown finished a match away from placing.

7- Hudson Taylor would end up pinnning Bond in the 5th place match- he has had an incredible number of pins in his career.

8- Jarrod Trice had such an awesome tournament. He beat, in order, Clayton Jack, Aaron Anspach (former NCAA runner up), Dom Bradley (junior world champ), and David Zabriskie to win the tournament. That is just amazing.

9- Jordan Keller wrestled poorly- well, Cleveland State as a whole had a very bad tournament.

10- Brian Stephens went 1-2, getting knocked out by Mario Mason- who had a bad tournament himself.

11- Andy Lamancusa went 2-2 at 165- not bad for a DII wrestler. He has had a solid career at Mercyhurst.

12- Andrew Howe really is a machine.

13- Eric Cubberly lost to a kid from California Baptist in the first round. He then reeled off five straight wins in the consis to make the 7th place match, where he beat Zach Toal. Toal was seeded 11th, and placed 8th- not bad for a redshirting freshman. Both of his losses were to Galante of Lehigh- then the one to Cubberly. Solid tourney for both wrestlers.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on January 2, 2010

I'm a bit curious and slightly off topic, is there any reason Ohio State didn't go to the Midlands or the Souther Scuffle this year?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 2, 2010

Ohio State hasn't gone to either in a while. I think the coaches like to give the kids a break and rest up before the grind of the Big 10 season comes on full force.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 3, 2010

Just so you know...

Midlands (Finals I'm assuming) will be aired on the BigTen Network. Or should I say, "It is scheduled to be aired tonight."

From 7 to 9pm.

I'm looking forward to it!

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 3, 2010

Mark- I'm right there with you- chips and salsa are in stock so we are good to go.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 3, 2010

Is that the hot or the mild? Beverage???????

► Add to the Discussion