Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Random Thoughts
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

--No Mike Pucillo this weekend for the Bucks. Is he ok? Is this related to his hand problem? Maybe he had the flu?

--Has Collin Palmer competed yet this season? How about Nick Heflin? I only saw two Bucks at Southern Scuffle...Pendleton and Capone. No Jameson or Hiles either. Why has Harrington disappeared since his promising showing at Okie Gold? Are all these guys sick/injured at the same time?

--Where's Matt Cathell? I thought he was going to take over at 149 for the Flashes? I don't think he's wrestled yet this year.

--OU has recruited well for several years and it appears we're seeing the payoff. The squad had a quality showing at the Scuffle. It appears they're healthy and wrestling well. Nice to see Germane Lindsey back in action as he's had several injuries. Anyone know how Reedy is doing?

--Can OU beat Kent in a dual? Could Notre Dame possibly beat either of them? Nice to have several quality programs in the state.

--Is Ohio's best kept secret the fact that NDC is ranked #1 in the country in NAIA?

--I go when possible to Gohiocasts.com because it offers a great chance to see many of the state's best in action. I got to watch guys like Demas, Sulzer, Ian Miller, Cam Tessari and Ty Mitch.

Speaking of Tessari, I loved what he did in the Brecksville finals. He ran roughshod over a quality opponent by taking what was given. His first takedown (only one he needed) was a forearm shiver with one arm while he stepped in and snatched the single. Nothing fancy--no oohs and aahs. But he finished it before his opponent had a second to react and then slapped on that near cradle. That's terrific wrestling. Prediction--Tessari will be a D1 AA and a pinner. Pair him up with Josh Moore at Kent and the results would brutal for opponents across the country. I doubt the Golden Flashes need the hint but Tessari would be a beautiful fit for them.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

Hank - I always appreciate these posts from you. I like the conversations that come from them.

In response:

I don't think OU can beat Kent in a dual. Kent matches up very well in that they would win at both 125 and 165, and knock off two of Ohio's main point scorers at 184 and 33 with their AA candidates. Plus, Hartshorn has been solid but Barlow has beaten him rather handily already this season (6-2 I think).

I would say KSU would be favored at 25, 33, 49 (if Cathell goes), 65, 84, and 285. OU would be favored at 41, 74, and 97. (although, I would not be suprised if Kent earned an upset at 41)

To me, that leaves 57 as a toss up, with Shuster the slight favorite. Tucker placed over him at the Scuffle, but I think common opponents would show Shuster as the leader, barely.

OU has several great wins this season. If nothing else, they should have a few NQs this year, with Lindsey and Schuth both with outside shots at RD12 or AA status. (both ranked 14th in recent coaches poll with top 10 wins)

ND is a D1 team wrestling NAIA. I watched their dual with with OSU and they wrestled competitively in several matches against ranked D1 kids.

Cathell has wrestled in a few duals. I think weight is sometimes an issue, but that is speculation.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

I like OU coming along. I think it is great for the state. Imagine if we had an Ohio Cup. Pipe dream, I know. But it would house some of the best Ohio wrestlers in the state wrestling for their respective colleges.

What do we have, 4 DI colleges? tOSU, OU, KSU and CSU, right?
DII has Ashland, Findlay and ... ... ...???
DIII has Mount Union, Mount St. Joe's, Wilmington, BW, John Carroll, Muskingum... any others?
NAIA has Notre Dame. Any others?

Either way, that's 13 teams. I'd love it!

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

And the soon to be Lake Erie College (DII)

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/236189-brecksville-2009-gohiocasts/246138-lake-erie-college-new-program-in-NCAA-dii

Mark Viviani added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

for d11 add in tiffin as i think they are adding a program.
also
d3 has
case western,heidelberg, and onu.
does capital have a team?

many schools have club teams
bg, Toledo, etc etc

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

Didn't Tessari commit to OSU ? I agree he seems to be getting better all the time , might have something to do with wrestling Logan every day .

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

On a Flo interview after Ironman he mentioned he has visited OSU, Mich, and Virginia Tech. I think he is a sure fire AA.

Hank - about the red shirts, I think it is so important to wrestle as many matches as possible during that season. If you're not competing, I'm sure it's tough to remain focused in the room at all times. Look at Shuster last year, wrestled something like 40 matches.

To date this season Jeremy Johnson is 17-7 for OU. 24 matches already is basically a full season of competition. Great to see.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 6, 2010

Ethan: I imagine there's a reason these guys have wrestled so little. Maybe Kevin Schlosser from Buckeye Wrestling.com can answer?

Some of you have commented on Notre Dame. There are several reasons for their success but the most obvious is they have spent tons of money on scholarships. NAIA allows you unlimited spending although it restricts how many scholarship wrestlers can compete throughout the season. Either way, Frank Romano and Anthony Ralph have been a formidable team and they have positioned themselves as a great option for talented guys needing fresh starts like: Tom Straughn, Adam Koballa, Derek Foore and Kevin Hardy. All four began their careers at other programs. All are legit national title contenders.

Beyond money, NDC has enjoyed tremendous support from their AD and Pres. And clearly Frank Romano was a quality first hire. Romano had a clear idea of what to do. And he's done it.

NDC's recruiting will slow down a bit I imagine once they become D2. They'll still be terrific but there is a cap on how much they can spend.

For those of you wondering which colleges in Ohio have wrestling programs, look to your right. It's all listed.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on January 7, 2010

On the Kent vs. OU match, I think it will be pretty close. Obviously as a former Bobcat, I am being a bit of a homer here, but I think the Bobcats can pull it off. One thing that everyone needs to remember is that OU has yet to wrestle at full strenght this year with Weinkam being injured. Not sure if he will make it back, but if he does, this could be another W for OU in this meet.

Tim Courtad added to this discussion on January 7, 2010

OU has two of their best kids hurt now with Ready at 149 and Weimkan at 165. If you put them to in their line-up they would look like this

125- need someone to step up
133- Keyes
141- Lindsay (ranked 13th nationally)
149- Ready (High school All American, would be ranked 1 or 2 in MAC)
157- Tucker (Placed in the Scuffle after losing first match)
165- Weimkan(High School All American, would be ranked 1 in MAC)
174- Ison (ranked top 25 nationally)
184- Purdue ( ranked 20th nationally, big win over #6 Leblanc)
197- Sluth ( ranked 14th nationall, big win over #10 Biondi)
285- Hartshorn ( ranked top 25 nationally)

This team only loses Ison and tucker to graduation. I think OU is well on its way back. They need to get a 125 pounder for next year.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 7, 2010

Luke - not only would I go takedowns with you, kicking you repeatedly, but I would also say that Ross Tice has made great strides for KSU this year. That match would be a toss up.

Weinkam and Reedy, having not competed all year, are two people you can't count on. Huge potential, very tough that they have been limited with injuries, but you have to judge this based on who has competed to date.

Also, Don't hate on Seth Morton. He has a great year at 149 for OU. He's not a blue chipper, but another grinder with very limited credentials who has been successful for Greenlee. Much like Ison on this team.

► Add to the Discussion