Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State vs. Pitt
Ben Golden added to this discussion on December 6, 2011

Probable Matchups:

125: #19 Johnni DiJulius vs. #16 Anthony Zanetta
133: #3 Logan Stieber vs. UR Shelton Mack
141: #9 Hunter Stieber vs. UR Travis Shaffer
149: #16 Cam Tessari vs. #11 Tyler Nauman
157: #18 Josh Demas vs. UR Donnie Tasser
165: UR Derek Garcia vs. UR Tyler Wilps
174: #5 Nick Heflin vs. #20 Ethan Headlee
184: #14 Cody Magrum vs. #18 Max Thomusseit
197: UR Andrew Campolattano vs. #6 Matt Wilps
285: #14 Pete Capone vs. UR Zac Thomusseit

125 - Zanetta is an enigma. He can run up big scores on decent opponents. Then occasionally he can beat very good opponents (i.e. Jarrod Patterson, Alan Waters). Last week he lost to Bonanno and Sprenkle. Obviously DiJulius beat Sprenkle twice. This one's a tossup in my mind.

133 - Logan will be mackin' all over Shelton. First period pin or second period tech is likely.

141 - Rematch of Dapper Dan, where Shaffer dropped down a weight and knocked off then top-ranked Hunter Stieber by tilting him and simply wrestling a good match. Shaffer also teched Jake Sueflohn at the 2010 Flonationals. Sueflohn and Hunter have both had excellent years as true freshmen. Shaffer really hasn't; he has lost to some no-names. Hunter is a clear favorite imo but their history might give Shaffer confidence, and he is certainly capable if he locks up his tilt.

149 - As Hank Kornblut pointed out, Tessari had helacious weekend at CKLV, facing one tough opponent after another. He truly had no breaks, and that will continue into this weekend as he will face Tyler Nauman and Ian Miller. David Habat made a name for himself last weekend by beating Nauman twice. Tessari didn't get to face Nauman, but he gets that chance here.

157 - I don't know a lot about Tasser. I'll just assume Demas wins by decision. However, Demas' CKLV performance was disappointing in my opinion. Not disappointing for a typical freshman, but disappointing relative to the standard he had set for himself up to that point.

165 - Neither Wilps nor Garcia have collected any quality wins yet. So I'll call it an uninteresting tossup.

174 - Last year, Headlee was the first person I saw Heflin wrestle. Heflin looked very good in that match, but injured his back (spasms maybe?) in the middle of it and was then pinned. This year, he's a clear favorite.

184 - Man, coming into this year I expected Max to be an easy favorite in this matchup. Last year, he was winning all the matches he was supposed to win and coming soooo close to beating a lot of very good opponents like Robert Hamlin, Josh Ihnen, and Jon Fausey. But this year, Max missed the first few weeks and then had a terrible outing at CKLV, losing to the likes of Tim McCall and Kevin Radford (I haven't heard of them either). Meanwhile, Magrum has performed with consistency at 184. I'll take Magrum by decision.

197 - Camp has shown flashes of good stuff on his feet, but has yet to finish a match strongly against a quality opponent. Wilps is an easy pick, and bonus points are possible.

285 - I don't know if Zac Thomusseit will wrestle or not. He has wrestled in a couple duals this year, but he wasn't at CKLV and he has missed other duals. This is a pretty intriguing match if he does wrestle.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 6, 2011

Pretty sure KSU has Missouri on Friday night.

Here's hoping for an injury free Friday night!!!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 6, 2011

I'm not as down on Campolattano as a lot of people seem to be. If you watch the video of the Meeks (ranked) match last week, Camp looks to get the TD near the end of the match but the ref calls OB with one of Camps legs still on the mat ready to pull Meeks back in bounds??? He loses in SV, loses the next match 8-7. At EMU Open finals he gets beat by #5 Powless 6-2 (of which the last 2 pts. were off Camps last ditch attempt of a TD). To say Wilps will score bonus points, I just can't buy it. Camp has at least kept all of his matches close. Yeah, I know, he's lost a lot of close ones, but I believe, in time, that trend will be reversed.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 6, 2011

I think Bucks could have a bit of a letdown after Vegas. Duals are easily swayed by one unexpected outcome. Look for Pitt to pull an upset.

Someone brought up Campolattano. I watch this kid and see an incredible amount of talent in a competitor that has never had to push like he does now. His Vegas performance doesn't shock me. Eventually he's going to figure out how to win tough matches and when that happens he's a strong AA candidate. Someone asked which Buckeye frosh would win a national title first. Camp has the talent. His head just needs to catch up with his ability.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on December 7, 2011

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Someone brought up Campolattano. I watch this kid and see an incredible amount of talent in a competitor that has never had to push like he does now. His Vegas performance doesn't shock me. Eventually he's going to figure out how to win tough matches and when that happens he's a strong AA candidate. Someone asked which Buckeye frosh would win a national title first. Camp has the talent. His head just needs to catch up with his ability."

Agree. He is in the midst of a few fellow freshmen that are more college-ready, but remember he is a TRUE FROSH. This kid's ceiling is WAY up there. Sometimes people expect too much right away from freshmen. I think Camp has the potential to AA a couple times in his career and even place very high.

I feel similarly about Demas. He's going to get worked at times this year, especially on the mat. But this is to be expected. He will learn and improve with experience.

Not every freshmen is college-ready, regardless of HS rank or hype.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 7, 2011

Go Bucks!

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on December 7, 2011

Ben, thanks for the breakdown. Well done, as usual.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on December 7, 2011

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I think Bucks could have a bit of a letdown after Vegas. Duals are easily swayed by one unexpected outcome. Look for Pitt to pull an upset.

Someone brought up Campolattano. I watch this kid and see an incredible amount of talent in a competitor that has never had to push like he does now. His Vegas performance doesn't shock me. Eventually he's going to figure out how to win tough matches and when that happens he's a strong AA candidate. Someone asked which Buckeye frosh would win a national title first. Camp has the talent. His head just needs to catch up with his ability."

I don't know why but Camp. reminds me of Q. Wright

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on December 7, 2011

My thoughts…

125 – I see this being a critical matchup in the dual. DiJulius was a hammer in Vegas, while Zanetta fizzled some. However, I think Johnny may struggle more in duals, ala Jaggers, if he is cutting a lot of weight. In Vegas he got a bye and some time to recover. I think he hits at least one barrel roll and gets a hard fought win. OSU 3-0

133 – Logan handles Mack, early. Pin in the first period. OSU 9-0

141 – Shaffer beat Hunter last year, but Hunter is most definitely having the better year so far. I think Hunter gets some revenge, and gets a win. OSU 12-0

149 – Cam Tessari has definitely faced the toughest schedule of any of the OSU true frosh. Now comes another top 10 opponent in Nauman. I favor Nauman, but would not be surprised with a Tessari win. OSU 12-3

157 – I think Demas is the favorite, and I expect a decision. Bonus points are possible if Demas gets his takedowns going. OSU 15-3

165 – I cannot predict a Garcia win over a quality opponent until I see one. I’m taking Wilps in a close one. OSU 15-6

174 – What a difference a year makes. Last year at this time Heflin was an unproven frosh who ended up being pinned by Headlee. This year Heflin is the heavy favorite. I say Heflin by a typical 3-2 score. OSU 18-9

184 – Magrum has been wrestling very well this year, and he hasn’t dropped any match that I expected him to win. Thomusseit may have been shaking the rust off last weekend. I think he gets it together and controls the match on the mat. OSU 18-12

197 – Camp runs into a tough opponent here. Wilps is very good and I see him being too much for Camp to handle. OSU 18-15

285 – What was beginning to look like a blow out now comes down to the last match. Capone has been wrestling well all year, whereas Thomusseit has been MIA. Thomusseit is the kind of heavy that Capone matches up well with, so, even if he does wrestle, I’m taking Capone. 21-15 OSU

Overall – Ohio State is strong favorites at 133, 157 and 174. Pitt is a favorite at 197 and 149. The other five matches could go either way without much of a surprise. Ohio State seems to be wrestling very well. I see them getting at least two wins out of the 5, and Logan’s bonus points being the difference.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on December 7, 2011

Jason and Hank are right on, this thing could go either way. Anyone know if this one is televised or live online?

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on December 7, 2011

Camp reminds me right now of Vertus Jones. If he learns to attack and his conditioning is up he could be a Chris Pendleton. Josh Demas, if up two weight classes, reminds me a little of Greg Jones, he just that dynamic on his feet. I just think he is too low, maybe he and Garcia can switch weights.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on December 7, 2011

Jason, I think your math is wrong. It would be 18-12 going into Capone's match.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on December 7, 2011

You're right. I gave both teams 3 points at 174.

John Ice added to this discussion on December 7, 2011

Pitt will be streaming, for a fee of course!
http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-wrestl/pitt-m-wrestl-body.html

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on December 7, 2011

Quote from John Ice's post:

"Pitt will be streaming, for a fee of course!
http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-wrestl/pitt-m-wrestl-body.html"

Thanks John. You coming up to Kent?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next