Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: The 2012 Brakeman Report
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 24, 2012

http://www.baumspage.com/brakeman/2012%20Brakeman%20Report.pdf

Why do I still find myself reading the preface and introduction!?

But I love it!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

Hey, is the Brakeman out yet? >:-)

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

The fact that this thread has so few posts is a testament to how this site has evolved into an almost exclusively college site. I enjoy college wrestling and follow it very closely and I think the discusions this site generates are fantastic. But my first love is Ohio High School wrestling. I wish there was a little more high school discussion.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

That's not it at all.

We're just slow readers.

D-I, 113#, here we go...

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

Best Brakeman Line -- "As faithful readers know I am, in some distant way, related to Mimmo Lytle – my mother
was a Lytle, and as he continues to win, that relationship has, as I see it, become an
ever closer one; such that I’m beginning to think of him as a grandson."

-- and sadly still for Mechanicsburg, Austin Black is out for the year/career -- but would have finished decently higher than Brian's prediction for him.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

132 D1 should be a great 3 man battle between Ward (defending stat champ) Squire (3rd, 2nd, 2nd) and Bright (5th 2nd). I know he has Ward but I'm going with Bright since he has beaten both and has wrestled a brutal schedule and has awesome drill partners and Eds kids always seem ready to go at state. The key will be who wins district between Squire and Bright since they will be seperated from Ward and should have an easier path to the finals.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

Ward, lucky him, must go through both to win the title again.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"That's not it at all.

We're just slow readers.

D-I, 113#, here we go..."

Michael: I have to agree with this sentiment. My lips are already tired from reading.

I like the face of the school section. Some other choices/schools to consider (and I tend to slant a little toward wreslters who put the school initially on the map):

St.P: Jordans

Springfield: Gary or James

Akron Ellet: Jim Brown

Akron North: Plouse

Walsh: I would go with Heskett but Mollica would be a good pick, too.

Lake: Mike Miller

St.V: Bill Schaeffer (family friend so I have to say him; would have been a two timer without an injury before sectionals his undefeated senior year);

Hoban: Ray Edmonds? I'm missing somebody obvious.

CVCA: Harry Lester

West Holmes: Colt

Claymont: help there are a few

U.S.: Oddo (Pat C.:that's dating me)

Jackson: Funk

St.Eds: There is no denying Fried I suppose but for sheer "face of the school" and domination a little earlier Jim Heffernan wouldn't be a bad pick.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

We could have a lot of fun discussing who is the face of St Eds. I think it would be best to do it by decade.

1970's: Brian Heffernan or Tim Welch
1980's: Alan Fried (with apologies to Jim Heffernan and Greg Elinsky)
1990's: Roger Chandler--I'm on shaky ground but he was such an amazing pinner as a senior that it made him unforgettable.

2000's: Lance Palmer

Also: Bob Golic got the Brakeman mention for St Joes but I'd argue for the trio of St. John, Petche and Splete. All were mesmerizing talents.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

I would have gone with Steve St. John for St. Joes, but Brakeman has always had a special affection for Coach Storey and how he worked with Big Men.

As much as I love Tommy Rowlands and think he's clearly the best wrestler to ever walk the halls of Ready High School, when I think of Bishop Ready I think of the DiSabtio family, Adam in particular.

Maybe Dunyasha Yetts from Steubenville over Keenan?

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

Claymont would have to be Mel Peters, the longtime coach and father of eight (8) Claymont wrestlers who won a combined 600 matches, including 2 state titles.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I would have gone with Steve St. John for St. Joes, but Brakeman has always had a special affection for Coach Storey and how he worked with Big Men.

As much as I love Tommy Rowlands and think he's clearly the best wrestler to ever walk the halls of Ready High School, when I think of Bishop Ready I think of the DiSabtio family, Adam in particular.

Maybe Dunyasha Yetts from Steubenville over Keenan?"

Tommy tweeted he thought the same as far as DiSabatos are concerned. He also mentioned 4 D-I NCAA AAs from that tiny little school. Tommy, Ross, Adam and Kenny. Impressive for sure. How big/small is Monroeville!?!?! :-D

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

Brakemans The Man in ohio rankings just on longevity, plus great accuracy over 41 years wow, 1972 -- no internet when he started, just scraps of paper and hard-to-read brackets IF u could get them from some kind coach.

ive asked Ron Good at AWN, he says NO OTHER state has had anyone like Brakeman all these many years. Hats off!

wish he had more mentioned Maple & Mike Milkovich though in the anniversary writeup in the ohio state program, History of Ohio, he really skipped over Maple, how could he ???!!! its a grudge gone bad, even after all those years. ...s/BobP

Joe Johnson added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

Michael: I agree with you on hs wrestling. It is my first love too. I usually go to other sites for hs info, but I like this format the best.

Roe: Akron Hoban-you are thinking of Rick Dicola(only state champ in school history).

Bob: What is Brakeman'e beef with Maple Heights?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 25, 2012

Joe: Thats it.

Also, Western Reserve Academy (which doesn't even have a team this year): Alex Konovalchik. Doubt that is spelled right but he won Lehigh National Preps when Blair was in the middle of beating everybody. I believe he also wrestled at Harvard.

Last edited by Roe Fox on January 26, 2012; edited 1 time in total

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next