Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State 23, Wisconsin 13
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 10, 2007

Probable Match Ups
125: Nikko Triggas (7-4) vs. Collin Cudd
133: Reece Humphrey (11-1) vs. Zach Tanelli
141: J Jaggers (9-1) vs. Kyle Ruschell
149: Lance Palmer (7-3) vs. Kendall Vogel or Mike Metzger
157: Jason Johnstone (6-4) vs. Craig Henning
165: Robel Campbell (2-6) vs. Jake Donar
174: Alex Picazo (6-3) vs. Justin Peterson or Matt Maciaf
184: Mike Pucillo (8-1) vs. Trevor Brandvold
197: John Weakley (4-3) vs. Dallas Herbst
285: J.D. Bergman (10-0) vs. Kyle Massey

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on December 10, 2007; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Should be a good match.

Triggas and Jaggers have already beaten both guys they face tonite (Jaggers by fall) but Triggas will be hard pressed to duplicate the effort. Bucks need to win 3 of first 4 and not give up big bonus points at 165 and 197. Picazo winning would help alot. Weakley has his hands full with red hot Dallas Herbst. Bergman gets a solid test in Massey. Johnstone needs to keep his match with Henning in the ballpark (I think he will).

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on December 10, 2007

My biggest concern is that Herbst and Henning are both big time pinners.

Updated Results:
Bucks are winning 17-9 after 184

125 Triggas by TF over Hammond
133 Tanelli 10-6 over Humphrey
141 Ruschell 10-5 over Jaggers
149- Palmer 8-2 over ??
157 Henning 1-0 over Johnstone
165 Sponseller 4-1 over Donar
174 Picazo 11-7 over Peterson
184 Pucillo 5-4 over Brandvold

Humphrey and Jaggers both got out to early leads but gave up big points later in the match. Sponseller started at 165 and got a solid win over Jake Donar.

Herbst 12-2 over Weakely. Match score is now 17-13 with J.D. vs Massey.

J.D. needs to avoid getting pinned for the Bucks to win the dual. Obviously, he can beat Massey. But it's 285. Anything can happen.

Bergman wins by first period pin! Bucks win 23-13.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on December 10, 2007

Good matches all around, I will admit I was surprised at the outcomes from 133 and 141. I thought Henning was stalling throughout the 1st period, he might have looked like he had opportunities to score in those scrambles but he never really initiated anything close to a takedown until the 3rd period. Colt's debut! He looked undersized compared to his opponent seeing he was having a difficult time bringing him back to the mat, but he beat him with lots of heart. Strong finish involving Bergman with the pin.

Nick--interesting to read your comments about Sponseller. Seems to rebut the talk of him moving up to 174 in a year or two.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on December 10, 2007

Donar's a solid win for Colt in his debut. This would indicate to me that Colt will be in the mix for a middle-to-bottom qualifying spot in the B10 climate.

I would not dismiss the losses of Humphrey and Jaggers as necessarily bad - Tanelli and Ruschell are credible DI starters in their own rights, and kids capable of winning multiple matches at the NCAA tournament in March.

J.D. continues down his reign of terror up at 285.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

My thoughts; Nikko beats the guys he's supposed to beat. They chose not to send out Cudd (who he beat in Vegas) which was a mistake. Nikko took the Wisc. soph. down & turned & turned & turned, you get the picture. Always looking for bonus points. Humphrey & Jaggers had 2 tough matches that they were winning initially, but lost with some Wisc. TD's & good rides. Palmer was Palmer, workmanlike against an equally strong opponent. Physically it looked like he was wrestling his clone, but Lance got the TD's & some tough riding as usual. Very proud of Johnstone's 1-0 effort against #2? Henning. He was in on the leg 3 or 4 times but Henning is an excellent scrambler. Jason chose neutral in the 3rd, thus bypassing the opportunity for the 1-point escape; but I think Henning is tough on top, so I guess they liked his chances on his feet. You know he's lost to 3 tough guys this season by 1 point margins. Not bad. OSU picked the perfect night to start Sponseller. He had a nice high-crotch, and lifted the opponent at the edge of the mat and carried him back to the middle where he promptly dumped him hard. That's all he needed, but he did get ridden out in the second period. You can tell he still isn't 100%, but for his 1st match, it was great!! He has a certain presence on the mat. He blocked & countered a lot of nice shots. Teamwise it was perfect timing for the win. I wonder if Campbell would have wrestled instead if we would have won 133 & 141? He was part of the opening introductions. Then Picazo gets taken down twice w/doubles, then uses his patented inside trip TD & turns Peterson for back points; after that it was all Alex. Pucillo struggled a little at 184. It was as if he were scouted out; Wisc. shunned the front headlock as best he could; Mike did some nice scrambling of his own as he was under many single/double leg attacks. Weakley did OK against ranked Herbst of Wisc. John tried some throws & rolls that cost him about 6 or 7 points (all self-inflicted). J.D. came out and manhandled Massey from the start. Massey <ill> made the mistake of going upper w/ J.D. End of story! It was nice to see Russ Hellickson back as honorary coach tonight. He couldn't sit in his chair all night; he was up giving tips to some of the upper weight guys after their matches. It was great. Looking forward to O.U. duals.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

I have to agree Wisconsin had tOSU scouted out well. Mike's opponent was able to fight off the front headlock, but I was more surprised on his ability to actually shoot in without any real set up and attack Mike's legs. Mike was able to take care of business tonight so I think we're all satisfied with that. The coaching staff just needs to impress on the wrestlers the importance of staying calm when things aren't looking up so much and make careful explosive moves to get off of bottom and establish some control. Reece and J both got taken out of their element in the end and let their opponents run the table more than they should have. We won, but it's a good wake up call for more aggressive opponents like Iowa and the like down the road.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

As for Colt, anyone else who was there think he looked smaller compared to his opponent? I believe he did an excellent job despite being recently off an injury, even still in a small cast.

Aaron LaBatt added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

Yeah I thought Colt looked a little undersized, but he wrestled his butt off! It was great to see the crowd get behind him.

What was Weakley's deal? I didn't think he looked very good....I know he is a true freshman but still, he was making mistakes he shouldn't have been, reaching back, he tried to granby one to many times and got caught, not to mention the underhooks he tried and ended up on his back, why go back to moves that got you in trouble the first time?....did he look like he was in slow motion to anyone?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

This exemplifies what we have been talking about at 133. Reece lost to Tanelli last night, who was beaten last year by Enright. Reece has more scoring potential, but T.J. is better defensively. What's a coach to do?? <excited>

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 11, 2007

133 AND 141 lose late in a match...what is the weight cutting situation like, what is the conditioning factor???

Certainly tough opponents but beatable. I suppose the Badgers would be saying the same thing had they lost. Oh well. Now we know. Good luck in Feb. up in Minnesota!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next