Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Notre Dame strikes gold
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 7, 2012

what a coup for coach Romano, this kid Joey Davis is a true blue-chipper on the mat, ranked the #1 senior at 160 by AWN.

from TheOpenMat--
After a long pursuit, one of the nation’s premier recruits has made his college decision.

Joey ‘Iceman’ Davis, a 165/174lb prospect out of Sante Fe, Ca, has committed to Notre Dame College (OH).

Davis was one of the few true gems left on the board this recruiting cycle. His exploits include two state titles and a Reno championship. Last week he won his second straight FloNationals crown.

Notre Dame is coming off two straight NAIA titles (in 2010 and 2011) and won the NWCA championship this season as it transitions to Division II next winter.

The Falcons’ Head Coach, Frank Romano, formerly the skipper at Kent State, has not only coached ‘em up at Notre Dame, but has also showed great recruiting prowess. In addition to #2-ranked Davis, Romano has also landed Super32 Runner-Up, Cody Allala (Hopewell, VA) in this year’s class. Other high school superstars on the Falcons’ roster include Dapper Dan participant Orlando Scales, NHSCA finalist Jonathan Rivera, and Ironman finalist, Tank Knowles.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 7, 2012

Woooooowww.

Joey "Iceman" Davis was the guy that beat Ian Miller at Flonationals last year. Word was that Miller hurt himself in that tournament, but still.

I know Alalla was a big time name coming into this year but I think he might have had a (relatively) underwhelming season. I could be wrong about that.

NDC continues to get legitimate D1 talents every year, even though they are switching to NCAA D2.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2012

Ok....I'll ask the obvious. Why does a clear D1 talent choose NDC?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 7, 2012

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Ok....I'll ask the obvious. Why does a clear D1 talent choose NDC?"

D1 wrestling isn't always what it cracks up to be.

Jan R. Maynard added to this discussion on April 8, 2012

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

D1 wrestling isn't always what it cracks up to be."

Meaning?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 8, 2012

Quote from Jan R. Maynard's post:

"

"

D1 wrestling isn't always what it cracks up to be."

Meaning?"

For many, DI wrestling becomes a job rather than a sport. With fewer and fewer DI teams, there is more and more pressure on coaches to perform, and that pressure is felt by the athletes. In DII, DIII, and NAIA, there is much more of a "sport" feel to wrestling. So for many that could wrestle at the DI level, they choose an environment that suits them better. Marcus Levessaur is a perfect example of this.

I suspect there are many wrestlers that flame out at the DI level that would have excelled -- and still be involved in the sport -- if they'd chosen a lower level

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on April 8, 2012

Although I wouldn't argue against the notion of D1 wrestling as a job, D3 wrestling sure felt like a job to me. It's a job at any level of college wrestling. I think parity in college wrestling is greater than many of the other college sports. With there being fewer and fewer D1 programs, there are very high quality wrestlers that go to other divisions every year. For a miltitude of reasons, I think coaches at all levels feel pressure to succeed.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 8, 2012

So no one wants to answer my question?

Ok. I'll offer a clue as to my thoughts.

Remember when John McGhee chose Cleveland State?

Congrats to NDC. Good luck to Mister Davis.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 9, 2012

I thought I did answer your question Hank.

I'd give this advice to all making the college choice, go to the school that "fits" you the best academically, socially, athletically - in that order.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 9, 2012

Did McGhee actually get on the mat for CSU?

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 9, 2012

Hank -

Check your PM's.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on April 9, 2012

Sometimes the private school education is the draw, small class sizes and individual attention. Wrestling is sometimes a tool to put you in the best possible position to be successful in life. Way to go Frank, nice pick up. Also some of these small schools have a ton of money to give away and it does not count against them unless a kid starts for them, so they can load up the bench with talant and give full rides if they want.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 9, 2012

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"Did McGhee actually get on the mat for CSU?"

No, he didn't. But the Plain Dealer put CSU landing McGhee on the front page of the sports section--something I've never seen since. They made it appear that Dick Bonacci had worked some recruiting magic to land him. As I recall--and I apologize if I'm wrong--McGhee had learning issues. It's a common malady and I'm very sympathetic.

McGhee ended up at Iowa Central Community College...not sure how long.

McGhee and Chad Owens both could have been multiple AA contenders at the D1 level.

Brady...you're a gentleman. I'm a loudmouth.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 9, 2012

"...I suspect there are many wrestlers that flame out at the DI level that would have excelled -- and still be involved in the sport -- if they'd chosen a lower level"

Well said.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on April 9, 2012

"

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"Did McGhee actually get on the mat for CSU?"

No, he didn't. But the Plain Dealer put CSU landing McGhee on the front page of the sports section--something I've never seen since. They made it appear that Dick Bonacci had worked some recruiting magic to land him. As I recall--and I apologize if I'm wrong--McGhee had learning issues. It's a common malady and I'm very sympathetic.

McGhee ended up at Iowa Central Community College...not sure how long.

McGhee and Chad Owens both could have been multiple AA contenders at the D1 level.

Brady...you're a gentleman. I'm a loudmouth."

Hank: you offer good opinions. Don't sell yourself short.

The circumstances regarding McGhee and Owens are totally different. McGhee went the CC route because he needed to, per a family member. Owens went the could-have-been-great-but-screwed-it-up route because he chose to, per the police blotter.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: McGhee was in my opinion the most naturally gifted and fun to watch wrestler I ever saw. Just too bad he couldn't figure out how to make college work for him. I understand he gave Joe Williams some tough matches when he was in Iowa.

By all accounts a pretty good kid, too.

The Mat.crap forum seems to indicate that Dance has some academic issues. NDC may be a good place for him to get away, concentrate on classes and wrestling, and get it figured out.

You never know when a kid decides to turn it around.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next