Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Student upset at how OSU handled sexual-assault case involving wrestler
Freddy Carr added to this discussion on May 8, 2012

Student upset at how OSU handled sexual-assault case involving wrestler

She says suspension of alleged assailant isn’t tough enough

By Encarnacion Pyle
The Columbus Dispatch Tuesday May 8, 2012 7:58 AM

An Ohio State student can’t believe that the university expelled a student for graffiti but gave a one-year suspension to the man she says raped her in her dorm room.

“It is horrifying to find out that the university does not have a zero-tolerance policy for rape,” the woman said. “What kind of teaching institution supports such heinous behavior and violence toward other students?”

The Dispatch is not identifying the students, because the case involves allegations of sexual assault and no criminal charges have been filed.

The public wouldn’t even know about the woman’s case if she and her family hadn’t appealed to OSU President E. Gordon Gee and university trustees to treat sexual assault as automatic grounds for expulsion.

Ohio State is prohibited by federal student-privacy laws from discussing specific incidents and cases, but “We take the issue of sexual assault on our campus community very seriously,” said Dave Isaacs, OSU’s Student Life spokesman.

In an email to the woman’s family on Friday, Gee said, “Please know how deeply saddened I am by your feelings of pain and frustration. ... While I can appreciate that you are not satisfied by the results of the hearing, the reality is that (the male student) is facing very serious consequences."

The woman and witnesses told university officials the following: A man who lived a floor above her in Steeb Hall entered her dorm room while she was sleeping and raped her on March 3. She was awakened after 12:30 a.m. by a man who had climbed into her bunk bed. He forced himself upon her, penetrating her with his fingers as she struggled to fight him off. She had left the door unlocked because her roommate hadn’t returned yet.

She also told authorities that she managed to push the man off her bed and call for help. He ran out but left his black tennis shoes and a Boston Red Sox baseball cap. She said she didn’t know him.

Witnesses said the male student had been written up that night for being extremely drunk. They saw him punch a man in the face and try to kiss a resident adviser who asked his friends to put him to bed.

The man didn’t return several phone calls to a number listed for his parents’ house. He was first moved to another dorm after the incident and then temporarily suspended pending the outcome of a student-conduct hearing. He also voluntarily withdrew from the OSU wrestling team.

University officials held a hearing on Wednesday and found him in violation of university rules on “sexual misconduct: physical contact or other nonphysical conduct of a sexual nature in the absence of clear, knowing and voluntary consent.” He was also cited for alcohol abuse, endangering health or safety and disorderly or disruptive conduct, and was suspended for a year.

The university hearing is separate from any criminal investigation, and police are still investigating the incident, said OSU Police Chief Paul Denton.

Isaacs said each student-conduct case is handled on its own merits.

“Disciplinary sanctions for sexual misconduct may include suspension or permanent dismissal,” he said, “and the majority of cases also include educational sanctions that can help the accused student make better future choices.”

The university also provides counseling and other support services to victims, Isaacs said.

Ohio State reported to the federal government that there were 12 forcible sexual offenses on the campus in 2010, the last year for which statistics are available. Seven of those incidents occurred in dorms.

The woman’s father said Ohio State failed to protect his daughter and that the resident adviser should have called campus police when the man was drunk and acting out of control.

He said he thinks the university went light on the perpetrator because he was a wrestler on scholarship. The father added that his family expected OSU to expel the student because campus authorities had told them about kicking out a student for painting graffiti on two campus buildings this year.

“We just wanted him to be dismissed or at least suspended for four years so (our daughter) would feel safe and she would have completed her five-year degree,” he wrote in an email to Gee.

Gee replied that the man’s role as an athlete had “no bearing whatsoever in the decision-making process.”

The woman said the incident and how it was handled has left her feeling depressed and unable to sleep. She said she plans to transfer to another school in the fall.

epyle@dispatch.com

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/05/08/student-upset-at-how-osu-handled-sexual-assault-case.html

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Student upset at how OSU handled sexual-assault case involving wrestler
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 8, 2012

Hmmm...

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on May 8, 2012

Interesting...I would think the problem is that until the kid is charged...tOSU has nothing to go on.
Unlike the graffiti, where he was charged.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on May 8, 2012

If they had "nothing to go on", why was he suspended?

They must have had something, or was the suspension premature and/or improper?

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"If they had "nothing to go on", why was he suspended?

They must have had something, or was the suspension premature and/or improper?"

Did I miss breaking news from Ohio State?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 8, 2012

in light of this statement, so who is he? was he really "on scholarship"? is this statement true?

"He also voluntarily withdrew from the OSU wrestling team."

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"in light of this statement, so who is he? was he really "on scholarship"? is this statement true?

"He also voluntarily withdrew from the OSU wrestling team.""

Gee, what a magnanimous gesture. (sigh) He should also shortly be involuntarily withdrawing from free society.

And no Mark, quite pridelessly there has been no breaking news from Columbus.

"I am out.

Guys, keep thinking Smith had nothing to do with this, and I will be back when he is gone."

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 8, 2012

Mark, the only thing I miss when a man's word could be trusted.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on May 8, 2012

From the article:

University officials held a hearing on Wednesday and found him in violation of university rules on “sexual misconduct: physical contact or other nonphysical conduct of a sexual nature in the absence of clear, knowing and voluntary consent.” He was also cited for alcohol abuse, endangering health or safety and disorderly or disruptive conduct, and was suspended for a year.

Quote from Freddy Carr's post:

"

From the article:

University officials held a hearing on Wednesday and found him in violation of university rules on “sexual misconduct: physical contact or other nonphysical conduct of a sexual nature in the absence of clear, knowing and voluntary consent.” He was also cited for alcohol abuse, endangering health or safety and disorderly or disruptive conduct, and was suspended for a year."

So it seems like, unlike what Fred said, they had PLENTY to "go on".

"I am out.

Guys, keep thinking Smith had nothing to do with this, and I will be back when he is gone."

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 8, 2012

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

"I am out.

Did I miss breaking news from Ohio State?"

Mark, the only thing I miss when a man's word could be trusted.

It says the incident happened on march 3rd... Weren't the B1Gs that weekend???

Does not the whole team travel? Maybe not, I guess.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 8, 2012

well Mark, thats why in my previous post i asked "is this guy really on scholarship" as the Dispatch article said he was??

from the Tressel investigation a year ago, i recall this particular reporter did the inaccuracy filled car-gate investigation for the Dispatch which accused alot but contained inaccurate info and proved nothing. ...s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next