Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Coach Don Lorence leaves CVCA
William Danforth added to this discussion on June 13, 2012

NEWS RELEASE
Date: June 13, 2012
For: Immediate Release

Re: COACH DON LORENCE LEAVES CVCA TO HEAD-UP TITAN WRESTLING CLUB

After nine years as head coach of the CVCA wrestling program, Coach Lorence announced today that he will no longer be coaching at CVCA. “This has been a most difficult decision, we have enjoyed much success with our program and everyone – the kids, the parents, and CVCA – have been terrific.” stated Coach Lorence.

Lorence will now devote his full time and energies to building the TITAN WRESTLING CLUB, a non-profit corporation with a wrestling facility located in Mantua, Ohio. “Of all the activities I have been involved in with wrestling, I enjoyed most the time I operated a wrestling club. The direct involvement with the kids, parents and other wrestling coaches was most rewarding; however, after I joined CVCA, I saw that it was not possible to do both. You can’t expect another coach to send his top athletes to a training facility headed by a competitive coach.” said Lorence.

The TITAN WRESTLING CLUB will open in June with an open-door policy and will be available year round. Programs offered will include: a Youth Program (grades 1-6), Jr. High, Sr. High, Open Mats (2 days per week) and special events. Additional staffing by several qualified recent college graduates will provide exposure to a variety of techniques. “We are committed to providing an environment for all ages and levels, from beginners to state champions.” said Lorence. “Our clinics will feature college head coaches and their assistants. Also information will be provided on how to secure college scholarships and grants.” he further stated.

‘MAKE IT FUN!’ is the TITAN WRESTLING CLUB motto. “We will have 4 large video screen to provide enhanced video training along with X-Box gaming capabilities for members. Members will participation in dual meets, national tournaments, and special events to make it fun and exciting.” said Lorence.

For more information, visit the TITAN WRESTLING CLUB on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/TitanWrestlingClub

Last edited by William Danforth on June 27, 2012; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 15, 2012

This sounds like a very interesting turn of events. Lorence has evidently decided to spend his time running a top notch youth program. This could potentially have a big ramifications for wresting in NE Ohio.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on June 15, 2012

It's an unfortunate loss for CVCA, but I've known Don for about 10 years now, and this is the environment he thrives in. I wrestled for him in the resurgence of the CVCA program and for whatever my opinion's worth, he was a successful coach for several reasons...

1. Major emphasis on summer training.
2. Total commitment to every athlete in the program (not just the champs).
3. Surrounding himself with the right people to complement his strengths.

As you can see, these are all the right characteristics to run a successful club as well. We talked yesterday and he told me that there was never a good time to leave. With the possibility of Tomasello being a 4x champ and CVCA becoming a DII powerhouse, not many people would step away. But the school has built a nice tradition and is tough year in and year out now. This is where his heart is at and we wish him all the best. I am grateful that all the Hojnacki boys got to wrestle for him.

I would really encourage anyone in the area to go train with Coach Lorence and have a good time doing it. Word on the street is that the facility will be opening June 24th.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 15, 2012

yes Don has the right stuff for this job.

now i'm curious, exactly where is this facility, in what former building? Someone had an idea and put $$ into it. WHO owns it, someone came up with $$--- it didnt start from nothing, whose the founder and who owns it and built it?? Who offered Don the job?? or does Don own it??

is Dons summertime Camp of Champs now history? (i still wear Camp of Champs shorts, great shorts!)

will Mike Vash return ?

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on June 16, 2012

Could this open the door for one Mr. Harry Lester to take over the reigns at CVCA?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 16, 2012

i don't think so, Justin aka Harry Lester is in the US Army now.

Al McIntosh added to this discussion on June 16, 2012

Bob, from what I am told (I talked directly with Don) TITAN wrestling club will operate as a 501(c)3 non profit. There are some major donors investing in this endeavor, and Don will serve as the CEO. As the policy of any non profit it will have a board of trustees. Facility is a very nice renovated building, with state of the art athletic equipment.

Regarding CVCA's next head coach, I am sure there will be a lot of interest. All three historical head coaches(Don Lorence, Dave Bergen and myself)will have an opportunity share our thoughts and recommendations related the the selection of the next head with the AD. Ultimately however the athletic director will make his recommendation to the CVCA board of trustees for approval of any head coach, which is the case with any coaching hire at CVCA.

The main issue is continuity of the great tradition that the program has establish. There are some awesome assistant coaches who have been affiliated with the current team for a number of years. Coaches who have earned the trust and respect of the current wrestlers, and the Ohio Lightning youth program.

Michael Hojonacki hit the nail on the head when he identified the Don Lorence's strength as a coach was that he surrounded himself and brought in an array of great young talented coaches who was able to impart high level technique to his wrestlers on a consistent basis. Don would bring in many former college wrestling greats to come in and push his high school wrestlers, such as 2003 174 lb. Big Ten Champ and Purdue All American, Ryan Lange from Nordonia who worked out regularly with Utley and most recently Meadows.

All three historical coaches and the CVCA wrestling family will be meeting together on June 30th for a special Olympic send off for Justin "Harry" Lester @ 7pm. There is a 3 hour free clinic the Harry will be running earlier in the day at 9am. Both events will be held at CVCA.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 17, 2012

just to clear it up, not-for-profit employees are paid--- example, a famous not-for-profit is Ferraro's NHSCA.

i'm still curious who the donors are, it takes money to upgrade a building to a state of the art facility. Im sure they intend to get their investment back which is as it should be. Just curious. ---is Camp of Champs history now?

isn't there a major addition going on at CVCA now?
CVCA could become a serious wrestling power with right coach. Don left them in good shape now but they could become a nationally ranked type of program..

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on June 18, 2012

Will the next coach, and subsequent wrestlers, they bring in reflect the presumably Christian (I believe that is what the second "C" stands for) values of the school and student body at large or some values of the athletic department?

And no, no breaking news from the disingenuous Ohio State University.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 18, 2012

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"
And no, no breaking news from the disingenuous Ohio State University."

...Then how does your strict moral code allow you to post on this site?

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on June 19, 2012

Everybody wave goodbye to Gary.

William Danforth added to this discussion on June 20, 2012

Akron Beacon Journal article.
http://www.ohio.com/blogs/varsity-letters/varsity-letters-1.279974/lorence-steps-down-as-cvca-coach-to-run-titan-wrestling-club-1.315065

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 20, 2012

interesting Bill,

whose the next head coach, any good rumors? where does CVCA wrestling go from here?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 3, 2012

will Mike Vash be brought back in to lend his expertise ?

Al McIntosh added to this discussion on July 4, 2012

Although I cannot comment on the selection of the next head coach, what I can say is that everyone who has been involved with CVCA wrestling in the past will continue to be involve with CVCA wrestling in the future. The degree of involvement may vary, and some roles may change, but the team has the assurance that familiar faces with be around to maintain the tradition of excellence that has been establish. And yes, that includes the inspirational Mike Vash.

► Add to the Discussion