Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU vs. Minnesota (1/11)
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 7, 2013

Another very tough match up for the Bucks

125 Triggas(12) vs. Thorn(7)
133 ????? vs. Dardanes(5)
141 Stieber(2) vs. Dardanes(11)
149 Tessari(14) vs. Ness(2)
157 Demas vs.????
165 Martin vs. Yohn(10)
174 Heflin(2) vs. Storley(4)
184 Mangrum vs. Steinhaus(3)
197 Camp(9) vs. Schiller(14)
285. Capone(14) vs. Nelson(1)

I would assume some rankings will change since they are updated on (1/8)

Does anyone know what the situtation is with Garcia?
I think if healthy he might be a better option then Martin at this point.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 7, 2013

184: Magrum! I love it.

This is going to be a tough match. MINN is solid. I'm glad the meet is at home! See you gentlemen then! I'll be the guy in the shirt and hat. Look me up!

EDIT: Storley just beat Brown (PSU). I hope Heflin can redeem his Iowa loss. What a weight class!!!

BigTens can't come soon enough!

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on January 7, 2013

This should be a great match-up. This dual will see 16 ranked wrestlers, and that does not include #1 Logan who is injured or Josh Demas who is still ranked in the top 25 of some rankings.

It will be tough for OSU to win this dual without Logan, but it is at home, and allot of weight classes are very competitive. Perhaps we can get a few calls to go our way at home like Iowa did???

125: Triggas vs. Thorn will be very interesting. I think that Triggas is starting to wrestle better than he did earlier, and Thorn is coming off a loss at the Scuffle. - Both very good wrestlers, it will come down to who makes the best effort in crunch time.

133: OSU is hard pressed to match Dardanes without Logan. - I am glad for Kyle Visconti getting his first varsity win on Sunday, but this will be another extremely tough match for him. Keeping it to a decision would be a moral victory.

141: I like Hunter here, but the other Dardanes is always a battle also. It will be tough, but I would look for Hunter to pull out a decision.

149: VERY INTERESTING! Cam has struggled early against some very good competition (all 5 of his losses are to top 16 guys) but he looked very good in two wins this weekend. I didn't think that Ness looked very good at the Scuffle. I think he has had a lengthy injury layoff, and may be facing a big weight cut, but I didn't think his conditioning looked real good in the Scuffle. I think that Cam has a very good shot at a higher ranked wrestler here.

155: Josh Demas has looked very good in two losses to two exceptional wrestlers this past weekend in Welch and St. John. I expect Josh to keep up the good work and beat anyone that Minnesota puts here. (With that said, Danny Zilverburg had a pretty tournament at the Scuffle and could present a pretty solid challenge if started).

165: Mark Martin has a very tough match-up in Yohn. This may be a learning experience for him.

174: Excellent match-up between #2 Nick and #4 Storley. All I can say is: Just watch it and see how it comes out. - It should be a war!

184: On paper, one would have to choose #3 Steinhaus as the favorite, but Cody is a sentimental favorite for me, and he has the experience and hasn't wrestled a full-time schedule this year, so I would like to believe that Cody will be ready for the
'ambush'.

197: I like Camp. especially off a tough upset loss at Iowa, but Schiller is a very tough challenge.

285: I am so glad for Pete getting the big win over Telford in Carver-Hawkeye. That was a huge win for him. - Another huge task here in taking on the defending national champion. Good Luck Pete!

This will be a great match to watch. I would like to believe that even without Logan that we have a chance of winning the meet, but it will be tough, and allot of close matches would have to go our way! Some of our other co-captains have to step and show the way with Logan out!

Either way, get ready to enjoy some great wrestling!

GO BUCKS!

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on January 7, 2013

My thoughts...

125 - I favor Triggas over Thorn right now. If Triggas can get the bar against McDonough, he can get it against Thorn. I see a couple of minutes of RT for Triggas and a decision for OSU.

133 - If Logan is wrestling, I may try to make it to the match. If not, then I will probably not. I think Logan will be out for Dardanes, after his upset loss cost Ohio State a victory last year. I see Logan wrestling focused and picking up a solid decision, with a major possible.

141 - Hunter beat Dardanes a couple times last year (I believe), and I think he'll do it again.

149 - If Cam pulls out the victory here (and Logan wrestles), then Ohio State wins the dual. I favor Ness by decision. 9-3 Ohio State.

157 - I think Demas can potentially pick up bonus here, but I will call for a decision. 12-3 Ohio State

165 - Yohn is tough, but is not overly aggressive, so I don't see bonus here. 12-6 Ohio State.

174 - Match of the night. I see a 1-1 bout, going to OT. Heflin either wins on a rideout or with RT. 15-6 Ohio State

184 - I think Steinhaus gets the victory, but it will be close. Magrum wrestled very well against Northwestern. 15-9 Ohio State

197 - Camp is the favorite, but has to wrestle well, as Schiller is no slouch. I see Camp rebounding for a victory. 18-9 Ohio State

285 - Nelson is such a beast. Not giving up bonus is a win for Capone. I think he pulls it off, and only gives up 3. 18-12 Ohio State.

I see every match as a decision, and 6 out of 10 as toss ups. I think Ohio State is a favorite at 133 & 157, and Minnesota a favorite at 165 and heavy. Other than that, every match could go either way without too much of an upset.

GO BUCKS!!!!!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 7, 2013

Quote from Jason L. Jackson's post:

"...133 - If Logan is wrestling, I may try to make it to the match. If not, then I will probably not. I think Logan will be out for Dardanes, after his upset loss cost Ohio State a victory last year. I see Logan wrestling focused and picking up a solid decision, with a major possible.

..."

He won't be. At least, that what his medical file said. Er, I mean, I read on his twitter account. Yeah, that's it. Couple of weeks. Yeah... twitter.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 8, 2013

125 Triggas(12) vs. Thorn(7)
133 ????? vs. Dardanes(5)
141 Stieber(2) vs. Dardanes(11)
149 Tessari(14) vs. Ness(2)
157 Demas vs.????
165 Martin vs. Yohn(10)
174 Heflin(2) vs. Storley(4)
184 Mangrum vs. Steinhaus(3)
197 Camp(9) vs. Schiller(14)
285. Capone(14) vs. Nelson(1)

Initially, I figured the Bucks had no chance without Logan. But then I checked the Scuffle results and saw that Thorn and Ness both defaulted their last few matches.

The Scuffle was supposed to be Ness big comeback but after getting past a few nobodies he got beat and defaulted out. Will he wrestle against the Bucks? I like Cam in Columbus whether or not Ness wrestles.

Thorn started off red hot but has cooled. Triggas at home would be a mild favorite.

Those two matches are key as is 174. Bucks need all three to pull off the upset. They also need Demas to beat Zyberberg and Camp to take Schiller. Both need to defend their home mat.

No easy wins for Bucks in this dual as Hunter will get Nick Dardanes yet Bucks could win 125, 141, 149, 157, 174 and 197. The rest of the guys will be underdogs.

Minny will be coming off a two week layoff. They may be sluggish.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 8, 2013

Although they have had some close matches, I don't believe Dardanes has ever beaten Hunter. I look for Hunter to win a close one. Does anyone know what's become of Garcia? He didn't wrestle at the Lake Erie Open. I kind of thought he & Paddock were in the same boat, ready to go if needed, but haven't seen him in the Opens???

Kevin Mount added to this discussion on January 8, 2013

Kind of weird that we have heard nothing about Garcia this season. Just like I believe Magrum is a better option than Courts, I also believe Martin needed a red shirt this season and Garcia at 165. I figured he was red-shirting, but still strange not to see him competing at all.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 8, 2013

And I noticed Martin had his arm taped up quite a bit for the Iowa match. If he's needing some time off, will we see Garcia? I mean he did have some decent matches last year, just seemed to need work on finishing some of his leg attacks, and also getting off bottom quicker.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 9, 2013

Garcia finished last season wrestling well. It's a shame but my "sixth sense" tells me he's not healthy--probably his knees. This, of course, is conjecture. But it's hard to imagine any other reason why he wouldn't be the starter at 165.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on January 9, 2013

Was Garcia a true frosh last year? I know he sat out a year after high school because of injury and then enrolled, but I can't remember if that was last year or the year before. Maybe Garcia is redshirting.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on January 9, 2013

We should still see him wrestling in the open tournaments even if he is redshirting. Is he on the roster? Admittedly, I have not taken the time to look at an updated roster (if that info is available).

Alex Creech added to this discussion on January 9, 2013

He did wrestle a couple open tournaments earlier, but Johnni D didn't wrestle at the LEO and he is redshirting.

At any rate, it's a mystery. I remember in years past many more interviews with Ryan and the wrestlers than this year. Didn't Kevin Schlosser used to do interviews?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 9, 2013

Alex: Kevin DID use to do interviews and they were awesome!!! Graet insight.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on January 9, 2013

Garcia is on the roster....however the latest newsletter gives a wt. by wt. roster breakdown and he is not on that.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next