Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: The Ohio State University v. University of Michigan
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 3, 2013

While I started a thread about Ohio State v. PSU, the Bucks need to get through tsun first. Ohio State is favored, but tsun actually matches up well with the Bucks.

125 – Nikko Triggas v. Sean Boyle. It seems like a long time ago that Triggas lost to Boyle’s backup, twice, in the same tournament. Triggas is the favorite, and a pin would be awesome. I think he gets Boyle down, turns him, and finishes him off. 6-0 Ohio State

133 – Logan Stieber v. Rossi Bruno. Logan pinned Bruno earlier in the season, and I think he repeats that result. 12-0 Ohio State

141 – Hunter Stieber v. Cam Jackson. Jackson has been very inconsistent this year, but does have a few high profile wins. I think Hunter controls the match, but not calling for bonus. 15-0 Ohio State

149 – Cam Tessari v. Eric Grajales. Grajales beat Cam twice last year, the second one being the epic multi-overtime match at Big Tens. I favor Grajales, but this is a pure toss up. 15-3 Ohio State

157 – Josh Demas v. Michael Carpenter/Brandon Zeerip. Demas is a strong favorite over each, and should look to put up a major. If he pushes the pace early I think he can get it. 19-3 Ohio State

165 – Mark Martin v . Taylor Massa. If I recall correctly, these two wrestled last year and Massa won a 1 point decision. However, Massa has been significantly more successful this year, including a tech over Pierce Hargar recently (Hargar beat Martin soundly). I think Martin wrestles smart, and tough, and holds it to a decision. 19-6 Ohio State

174 – Nick Heflin v. Daniel Yates. No rest for the dark horse, as he gets another tough opponent. Yates is much more explosive, and I expect him to push the pace here. Heflin will have to counter and not just block off, or he will lose a stalling point, especially in AA. I think Heflin gets one takedown off of a counter and the 3-2 victory. 22-6 Ohio State

184 – Cody Magrum v. Christopher Heald. Magrum should roll here, and I think he picks up bonus. At least a major, maybe a pin. 26-6 Ohio State

197 – Andrew Campalattano v. Max Huntley. Another good matchup that could go either way. Camp is better, no doubt about that in my mind, but he’s been inconsistent and missed the Illinois match. I’m taking Camp by decision, but not convinced about it. 29-6 Ohio State

285 – Peter Capone v. Ben Apland. A tough match for Capone against a guy who beat him last year. Capone has improved so much, and Apland just lost to Chalfant, so I’m taking Pete. 32-6 Ohio State

While I have this as a blowout for the Bucks, it could definitely be a lot closer. Boyle could beat Triggas, Massa could pick up bonus, Yates could beat Heflin, Huntley could beat Camp and Apland could beat Capone. I doubt all of that happens in the same match, and I think overall Ohio State is a strong favorite, but it could definitely still be in doubt in the last few matches.

If anyone wasn’t aware, the match will be on Big Ten Network on Friday at 6. Go Bucks!!!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 3, 2013

Very good synopsis. It is a dangerous match for the Bucks in that they could get caught looking ahead to PSU. They ought to win comfortably but there's no guarantee.

Its the type of match where you need to make a strong effort so that you're in the right frame of mind for the Nittany Lions.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 3, 2013

Jason: did you happen to watch the Harver/Massa match? Craziest tf. I've witnessed - aside from Mitch Clark's NCAA final tech. Massa seemed to release an right back to the same hold immediately for another set of backs. I'm not sure Harger knew what was going on! After the first period it was either 11 or 14 to zero!!! Crazy.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on February 3, 2013

I didn't watch the match, just saw the result. I assumed it was a little bit of an aberration.

I think Martin can avoid a tech, but Massa might get a major.

Dan Arthur added to this discussion on February 4, 2013

Jason,
I love to see your breakdowns. They seem to have a best case scenario for the Buckeyes withouyt fail.

#125-
Although Boyle has a tendacy to get pinned, I think he pulls this one out for MI (MI 3 - Ohio 0)
#133-
I am not sure but Logan has Bruno pinned already. Over/under has to be 35 seconds (MI 3 - Ohio 6)
#141-
Jackson has more heart than skill and will get worked hard by Hunter. Tech in the second (MI 3 - Ohio 11)
#149-
Total toss-up on who shows up for both squads. Grajales has the home mat and history and gasses his way to a "how do he do that" 1 point victory. (MI 6 - Ohio 11)
#157-
Demas has the ability to put up bonus but just doesn't open up his offense enough and wins by 5-7 range (MI 6 - Ohio 14)
#165-
Massa will keep up the roll he is on and major Martin. (MI 10 - Ohio 14)
#174-
Helfin will wins this in OT on a counter going close to 8 minutes without a shot. (MI 10 - Ohio 17)
#184-
Magrum will coast to a 8-1 victory just missing the major (MI 10 - Ohio 20)
#197-
Huntley has taken the lead as the most dissapointing Wolverine wrestler this year. The score will be closer than the match. Camp will control start to finish but settles for a dec. with 5 minutes of bronco time (MI 10 - Ohio 23)
#285-
Apland has been wrestling well as of late. So has Capone. Apland wins this one something like 10-8.
(MI 13 - Ohio 23)
The way I see,
Not quite the blow out you predicted, but a solid win for the Buckeyes. I do hope I am wrong and MI "steals" a win or two that they should not have.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 4, 2013

Dan: Based on their respective seasons, Apland and Boyle winning would be "stealing" wins.

Michigan's path to victory would involve those two winning plus Yates and Huntley.

I don't think Massa will major Martin. Whatever Massa does on top (I haven't watched), Martin will be well prepared for it.

Hate to say it but the better guy to use at 184 for this bout would be Courts. He'd tilt his way to a TF.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on February 4, 2013

Dan:
Well-done, I laughed aloud at a couple of your notes.
Oh, but please don't refer to us as "Ohio" :).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2013

Yeah, Dan, it's THE Ohio.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 5, 2013

1. Michigan doesn't wrestle Ohio this year.
2. None of those guys are on Ohio's roster : http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/ohio-m-wrestl-mtt.html

Dan Arthur added to this discussion on February 5, 2013

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"1. Michigan doesn't wrestle Ohio this year.
2. None of those guys are on Ohio's roster : http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/ohio-m-wrestl-mtt.html"

Alex,

Sorry just a slight oversight (about 10 times)

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 5, 2013

Quote from Dan Arthur's post:

"

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"1. Michigan doesn't wrestle Ohio this year.
2. None of those guys are on Ohio's roster : http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/ohio-m-wrestl-mtt.html"

Alex,

Sorry just a slight oversight (about 10 times)"

Yeh, yeh.......sure it was. :)

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on February 5, 2013

I haven't checked the schedule, are we wrestling against the MICHIGAN STATE WOLVERINES this weekend???

All kidding aside Dan, I can see how the match could play out as you have it, but I can also realistically see Jason's prediction become true.

Your first statement was the Jason took the 'most optimistic' view of the match. I would argue with that, as my first run through I had Cam beating Grajales, but I didn't want to look like too much of a homer and had to give one tough one to UM.

Your picks of Michigan winning 125 and 149 and even 285 are all possible, but those three guys for tOSU (Triggas,Tessari, and Capone) have all been wrestling exceptionally well of late. I wouldn't want to bet against any of those three unless they were going against top 5 competition right now, and the UM guys they are wrestling aren't that level.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on February 5, 2013

The Cam-Grajales match at the Big Ten tourney last year was epic.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 5, 2013

Yea, and I won't forget how Grajales taunted the OSU crowd with his "Incredible Hulk" pose after the match.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 6, 2013

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"The Cam-Grajales match at the Big Ten tourney last year was epic."

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the crowd was going crazy!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next