Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: The most memorable matches you've seen at a District Tournament
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on February 19, 2013

The District Tournaments will begin Friday night.

What's the most memorable match you've ever seen at a District Tournament? (As a fan, parent, coach or wrestler)

List as many as you want.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: The most memorable matches you've seen at a District Tournament
Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 19, 2013

1993 Vincent Warren District - 152lb final...Wilkinson (Cambridge) was completely dominated from beginning to end by Zeb Wood (New Lexington). Don't remember the score but was surprised how lopsided it was. However, Wilkinson got the last laugh as he won the state title the next week.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 19, 2013

I guess my favorite District meets were the two my son won on his way to Columbus and to Dayton. It is the hardest week in wrestling and any parent will tell you so. Tons of pressure on everyone. I loved it and hated it at the same time.

That being said, as an official, I have one that is very memorable.
A few years ago I had the pleasure of doing the Guy Sako vs Jerome Robinson finals match at Mentor. Any official who is honest will tell you that a pin or a tech fall is just fine with them. Mine didn't go that way.
The match starts with Robinson taking Sako to his back and a 5-0 lead. I am cruising easy!
Second period and Sako takes Robinson to his back and we are now at 5-4. Darn!
In the third period Sako gets an escape and we are going OT.
The 3rd and 5th place matches are done so all eyes are on this match.
About 30 seconds into the 1 minute OT, the two wrestlers are locked up, with no movement, near the scoring table. I wait probably 5 seconds and call a stalemate. Not a control call or stalling but a STALEMATE! It caused the loudest boo that I have ever received. Really, it was quite impressive but a complete shock. Coach Sullivan wants to talk at the table and I later found out that he couldn't hear anything I said.
No scoring in the 1 minute period and we go to the 30 second periods. Robinson won the toss and wanted to go neutral. Took me a split second to remember that neutral isn't a choice. He then chose down but didn't get out.
Now it is Sako's choice and he goes down. On the whistle Robinson kicks Sako out and Sako leads by one point. It was all or nothing.
Robinson then gets the position, on his feet, he wants and puts Sako on his back to win the match.
Certainly the most thrilling District finish I ever had.
Looking back, I was really glad to have had the match.
BTW, the same two met for a State title a week later.

Tom Varner added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

One of my favorites

1984 98lb district semifinal at Firestone
John Purcell dec Erik Burnett 8-6

The following week at Columbus
Erik Burnett dec John Purcell 8-6

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

While I do have many, one that stands out was one of our kids, Kwan Bailey.

In 2009, as a coaching staff, we felt our best chance to get Kwan out was at 189, as opposed to his normal weight of 171. Grantd, he'd be giving up some weight, but we thought he has the skills and strength to overcome his opponents.

At the sectional, we ran into a kid who we knew was tough, but thought we should beat. Unfortunately, we did not. We ended up as a runner-up and were really put in check. I think the score was 7-3! Needless to say, we were a bit baffle by the loss.

After the pairings came out, I remember working our way through the bracket and thinking our go-to match is going to be that same kid who we lost to in the sectional finals. Only this time, we would face him after a tough semi-final loss.

Kwan's opponent dropped down and we met in the consolation semifinal. This time, in this 1-2-2 affair, we won 17-0. An absolute drubbing! We were up 13-0 after the first period. It was our choice, we chose down, fire up off the whistle, got a reversal and a 2pt near fall about 10 seconds in. Absolutely amazing!!!

The next week we arrived at the Schott and lost to the kid who got 5th, and the kid who got 3rd. Grrreat...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

Mark: What's this "we" stuff? Were you wrestling? ;)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

Not really, but I am amazed at how sore I am the day after a tournament. All the twisting, turning, leaning, bending, contorting I do in the chair trying aide our kid to get up, get out, sprawl, get behind, go over, pull down, etc... Buh. It's exhausting!

William Danforth added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

Two Memorable matches at the Akron AAA Districts in 1977.

First one involved 98# Dane Tussel from Nordonia. The local paper (Akron Beacon Journal, I think)ran a full page article on the freshman phenom. Talking about his accomplishments and aspirations of being an Olympian.

As a 2nd year sophomore wrestler I great anticipated watching Tussel. To my surprise Junior Eugene Leonard of Kenmore must not have read the newspaper. He proceeded to destroy the freshman. The fans were in shock and so was I.

The second match involved another Nordonia wrestler 138# Lance Anzivine wrestling in the finals against Crestwoods Dave Blake. Blake was the returning AA Division 126# State Champ.

Dave Blake dislocated his shoulder in the match and was trailing. Coach Dinapoli was telling Blake not to continue. Anzivine was jumping up and down yelling "I beat Dave Blake". Blake's father comes out of the stands tells the coach let my son wrestle. Blake out of injury time with a separated shoulder hits some kind of one arm lateral drop for the takedown and backs to win the match as time expires.

Erik Nell added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

1993 Wright State

112 Shantell Sanders (CAPE) VS. Tim Dernlan ( West Liberty Salem)

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

the old "Mentor Meagrinder", epic matches every year-- 1987 Shamil Pattie of Elyria over Alan Fried, the next week Fried would need OT to defeat Patti in state finals.

one year when div I or class AAA as it was called-- when it was awesome, Mentor produced 10 of the 13 state champs. In those days Mentor was as exciting as state, just to see who WASNT gonna get out.

but alas those days are long gone. ....s/BobP

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

. . .and, Bob, better seats than State's. Andrassy had some tough matches there I believe.

Didn't McGhee have a couple of great matches with Becks from Lake Catholic at Firestone? He and someone whose name escapes me were the only people who could hang with McGhee.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

There were wars at that Firestone District every year at every weight. We always thought the battle was getting to State, because once you got there no one was going to be as battle hardened as the Firestone contingent. That District chewed me up and spat me out on more than one occasion.

The bouts that stand out for me were Greg Woods vs. Luke Shockle ('88), Dave Gregan vs. Michael Coontz ('88), Jim Scavuzzo vs. Joe Peet ('88), Todd Hill vs. Brian Slates ('89). All of those were tremendous bouts with two going into overtime back when it was three one minute periods.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

". . .and, Bob, better seats than State's. Andrassy had some tough matches there I believe.

Didn't McGhee have a couple of great matches with Becks from Lake Catholic at Firestone? He and someone whose name escapes me were the only people who could hang with McGhee."

Pat Knaze?

William Danforth added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

". . .and, Bob, better seats than State's. Andrassy had some tough matches there I believe.

Didn't McGhee have a couple of great matches with Becks from Lake Catholic at Firestone? He and someone whose name escapes me were the only people who could hang with McGhee."

Keith Shamblin of Southeast is the name your looking for. I think around 1994.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on February 20, 2013

Shamblin was at 130lbs as a senior in 93 while McGhee was 135 as a freshman. Additionally, McGhee was DIII as a freshman so wasn't at Firestone. Unless of course you were talking about the regular season.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next