Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Bo Jordan
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 8, 2013

I've watched his state matches on video and am blown away. He wrestles the way you picture it in your mind. His ability to flow from move to move seems effortless. He dominates good high school wrestlers like a D1 college star. His style is reminiscent of Dustin Schlatter yet he's more physical.

Two Questions:

--Could he be the best wrestler in Ohio high school history?

--Could he win an NCAA title right now if he were competing? Let's say he had a chance to train for a few weeks with the Bucks. Could he beat St. John, Welch, D.Alton?

If you think I'm out of my mind, just say so. But I think he's a stunning talent and that the only reason we're not all more blown away is that he's coming on the heels of Dustin, D.T. and Logan.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 8, 2013

Hank: Bo is phenomenal. He has all the tools. I heard through a few people that he was hanging with college kids over this past summer. One of whom is now a returning AA. That was as a high schooler going into his senior year.

His strength is amazing. He is a bear on top.

My point was, I would like to see how his style matches up with some of the quicker athletes at the D-I NCAA level. Bo seems a bit more methodical and slower paced.

All in all, I'm aboard the Bo Knows Train!

He is BO-dacious!!!

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 8, 2013

I agree that he is a phenomenal talent. The biggest gap that I see between the high school and collegiate level is in scrambling ability. I think the first few months of collegiate wrestling enable a wrestler to grow the most. Logan was a wrestler of similiar caliber (if not higher), but when you watch him now the biggest change in his game is scrambling ability. I think once Bo adapts to the collegiate ranks we will really see what he is capable of.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 8, 2013

I feel there are two barriers that prevent early success in college: mat wrestling and core strength.

Bo is a physical monster and a polished wrestler on the mat. His transition to college will be very smooth. He could compete right now.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on March 8, 2013

"--Could he win an NCAA title right now if he were competing? Let's say he had a chance to train for a few weeks with the Bucks. Could he beat St. John, Welch, D.Alton?"

PA fans would be asking a different question, legitimately.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 8, 2013

Hank: I like the Schlatter comparison. I think of Bo as somewhat of a cross between Schlatter and Dake.

Now is he Ohio's greatest? While Bo is excellent and I think he will have a tremendous college career, I don't think there is any basis whatsoever to call him the best Ohio high schooler ever.

He just hasn't faced the strength of competition to make such a statement. Maybe he's on a tier with guys like Logan, Schlatter, Taylor (and perhaps others from older decades), but those guys faced and dominated a much, much greater quantity of elite competition.

Bo had two very controlled wins over Martinez, a win over a young Nate Skonieczny, and some other nationally significant wins, but a relatively small sample of elite competition.

Taylor, Stieber and Schlatter faced hordes of nationally ranked competition both in season and out. The in-season difference isn't Bo's fault--Taylor and Stieber had many more opportunities to face stars because the state of Ohio was so strong at their weights.

So I guess I'm saying... even if Bo was actually "the best," (which is always a subjective thing in these discussions), I don't think we have the data to make such a claim. Bo did as much as you could hope for against the competition he faced, but the other guys were every bit as dominant against better competition. So it's inconclusive, in my opinion.

Compare him with Logan. Both guys have one career loss, their freshman year. Logan's was to David Taylor, Bo's to Nate Skonieczny. Logan spent the rest of his career dominating the likes of Jamie Clark, Sam White, DiJulius, Devin Carter, and a host of great names out in Fargo and the Senior World Team Trials. When two guys are both very, very dominant, I have a hard time saying the guy who faced lesser competition is better.

Just my thoughts.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on March 8, 2013

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

""--Could he win an NCAA title right now if he were competing? Let's say he had a chance to train for a few weeks with the Bucks. Could he beat St. John, Welch, D.Alton?"

PA fans would be asking a different question, legitimately."

Speaking of PA, is Chance Marsteller going to be at Bo Jordan's weight in college? He might be better than Bo.

Is Chance Marsteller going to attend college?

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on March 8, 2013

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Is Chance Marsteller going to attend college?"

99.9% yes, I'm at the PIAA states and I see his parents wearing PSU gear, so my guess is that is where he will be going. Wish I could post pics.

Marlo! Thanks for the info. Pics or no pics... I, unlike a few other post-ers on this site, trust you.

(Just razzin'. I'm sure it's less than a few!!!!!!!)

Enjoy the tournament. And keep us posted from time to time, eh!?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 8, 2013

Ben Golden: I agree with your comments in a general sense. You're right--Bo hasn't faced a lot of great comp on a regular basis like D.T. or Logan. Nor does he have the huge national resume. I think it's fair to state that we can't elevate him to the front of the pack as he simply hasn't squared off as often against elite level competition as other past Ohio stars.

But....there's a reason that he's regarded as the #1 hs senior in the country. He passes the eye test with flying colors.

I think he's better than Marstellar. Marstellar has freakish strength for his age as well as some terrific offensive technique. I think this combo elevates him in the eyes of many. But, I don't think he's the master technician Bo is. Nor do I think he'll be as good in college--where there will be more guys near his level in terms of power. In Marstellar, I see a guy who is freakishly strong for his age. In Bo, I see the best high school technician in the country.

Just my opinion...

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on March 8, 2013

When I was perusing the Walsh Ironman seeding chart back in December I noted that Bo Jordan's age was listed as 19.

Clearly he is a superior wrestler due to technique but I would also say that those high school wrestlers that may lag him physically due to being a few years younger might start to be able to match him in that regard once their bodies mature in college.

-Bruce

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 8, 2013

Quote from Marlo Stanfield's post:

"
99.9% yes, I'm at the PIAA states and I see his parents wearing PSU gear, so my guess is that is where he will be going. Wish I could post pics."

To quote Marlo Stanfield, "He come up against one of us, he got to fall."

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"To quote Marlo Stanfield, "He come up against one of us, he got to fall.""

To quote George Kastanza... "What does that mean?"

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 8, 2013

I always thought Costanza was with a "C"?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next