Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Road trip!!!!! (NCAA Wrestling Championships Experience)
William Danforth added to this discussion on March 15, 2013

Had to copy Mark Niemann Topic with a different destination.

Who is going to this event? I start the Route 80 journey across the Midwest on Wednesday evening. Looking forward to some great matches starting with the first whistle.

First time in awhile all of Ohio D1 teams are represented. Cleveland State's sends two this year. Hope it's the start of a upward trend. Coach Greenlee has Ohio University well represented after some thin years. And can the Buckeyes and the Flash both crown National Champions?

Sounds like the venue isn't big enough based on the complaints about the availability of tickets. Maybe just too many tickets pulled for dignitaries.

I will be posting as many photos as possible to keep Hank from making too many sandwiches. Mark Niemann any photo request?

This will make the eighth straight weekend of wrestling for me and my camera. 1st: PTC Championships, 2nd: Friday ND vs Ashland, Saturday State Duals and Sunday OYWA State Championships, 3rd: Sectionals, 4th: Districts, 5th OHSAA HS States,6th OAC JH States, 7th: this Saturday and Sunday OAC Youth States and 8th: the big one next weekend NCAAs. Easter weekend I just might go threw withdraws.

I will try to report in between sessions.

Who else will be in Iowa?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 15, 2013

Awesome!!!!!

Unfortunately I won't be going but consider me jealous.

As for picture request... Hmmmmm... Well, any and all of J Jaggers will do. He will most likely be "stylin and profilin"!!!

Have a great time. Keep us updated better than did.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 15, 2013

I will be flying out Wednesday morning and getting into Des Moines at 8:15 am and can't freaking wait sitting in th buckeye section. Xmas gift to my old man from my brother and I.

William Danforth added to this discussion on March 15, 2013

A couple of pictures to hold you over.

J reaction after pinning Terapelle at High School Senior Nationals and winning NCAAs.

I had a good seat for both. Actually have to stand for NCAA Finals. :)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 15, 2013

Friggin sweet!!! He's traded his singlet and wrestling shoes for 3-piece suit, bling, and alligator skin shoes. I'm pretty sure ZZ Top wrote a sing about him.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 15, 2013

I've been in the Wells Fargo arena during my coaching days at Cedar Rapids Prairie high school. My observation regarding this arena is that while it is a nice venue it is nothing like the Staples Center in Omaha. Parking at the WF arena sucks! Additionally, it is not as big as some of the other recently used venues (St Louis, Philadelphia, Omaha) so the seating isn't as good.
One word of caution to those of you traveling to Des Moines. The police there are notorious for setting up speed traps right at the Des Moines city limits. If the speed limit drops to 45 you had better be going no more than 45 by the time you hit the sign or they will pull you over. They wait on the on ramps for the person speeding. So, consider yourself warned. They come out in force during the Iowa state wrestling tournament and will be out just as badly for the NCAAs.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 16, 2013

Mike:

Did you go to CSU in 98 and, if so, how would it compare to the other venues you have seen?

William:

Do you know where I might find the results for JH states?

Thanks.

William Danforth added to this discussion on March 16, 2013

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Mike:

Did you go to CSU in 98 and, if so, how would it compare to the other venues you have seen?

William:

Do you know where I might find the results for JH states?

Thanks."

The venue better be bigger than CSU Convocation Center. They changed the requirements a while back. Now if Cleveland were to host it would have to be held at the Quicken Loans (Gund) Area.

Here is a link to completed Junior High States Brackets:
http://c813999.r99.cf2.rackcdn.com/uploads/jr-high-OAC-2013_2013_full.pdf

Link to Finals photos:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.423792427707549.1073741830.279561248797335&type=1&l=90b0731407

Link to the rest of Junior High State photos:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.422961144457344.1073741828.279561248797335&type=1&l=2c2df769e0

These photo links should work for people without facebook. Please try them and let me know. I would prefer to post the NCAA photos the same way.

OHSAA State Finals photos:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.419689811451144.1073741827.279561248797335&type=1&l=ae1455a192

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 16, 2013

I did not get to go to the NCAAs at CSU in 98 so I don't have a frame of reference there.
I really hope Des Moines pulls this event off next week. However, I'm a bit skeptical. We'll see, I suppose. Hopefully all those going to the NCAAs have as good of a time as I did when I went to it in Omaha. Wonderful times and I hope to go back to one in the near future.

Chris Miller added to this discussion on March 20, 2013

Went to the National tournament last year for the first time and had a blast! Going again this year, but didn't get tickets through tOSU, which really stunk! Instead, we will be sitting with Iowa State fans.

Last year, the fans had shirts and were to wear the different colors to match the buckeye singlets. Are they doing that again this year? If so, what colors are you supposed to wear on which days?

GO BUCKS!!

William Danforth added to this discussion on March 20, 2013

Pre-Championships Press Conference

Matt McDonough · Iowa · Sr. · 125 · 20-3
What do you think about saving the big match until the end?
I’m used to being the first match so I already have to deal with that. You have to be ready right away, there’s no watching a few matches. Being the last one out there, you’re the last thing everyone sees, so there’s the exciting factor there. When everyone goes home you’ll be the last thing on their mind if you perform the way you’re supposed to.

Does home-mat advantage play a factor in this tournament format?
I think it definitely gets you excited when you have that extra fan base and you can hear them roaring in the stands, with that being said though, it really makes no difference where you’re wrestling or how many people are cheering for you. Once that whistle blows and the battle begins, you’re in the moment. I don’t think for the best wrestlers it affects the outcome of the match or how you’re going to perform if you’re worried about the things you’re supposed to be worried about, like your offense, you’re wrestling. It’s obviously something that brings extra excitement, even when you’re at an away arena and there are a lot of people cheering against you. That brings your adrenaline up. Being at a home environment with a lot of fans behind you is always exciting.

Should you get to the semis and face [Jesse] Delgado again, what will you have to do differently to get to the championship match?
[I] just have to go out there and wrestle my match. The work has been done and the technique is there and the ability is there. He’s a tough competitor; we’ve wrestled five times or so. I’ve done what I needed to do to win that match in the past, in order to do that in the future I have to be in the positions that I’m strongest at. It’s just a matter of wrestling a smart match where you’re having fun, but you’re scoring a lot of points. Scoring points is always what you have to do to win, but scoring offensive points is going to make the difference.

Jordan Oliver · Oklahoma State · Sr. · 149 · 33-0
What do you think about saving the big match until the end?
I think it’s great for the sport. Obviously the [Kyle] Dake/[David] Taylor match is a really anticipated match and the audience and all the viewers are going to stay tuned in to watch this match. They’ll also watch all of the other matches, but it’s just keeping the crowd into it. Obviously it doesn’t change how I have to go out and perform or for any of the other wrestlers. I think it’s great and they’re going to have a big crowd. I just have to go out and do my part.

How was the experience of training in London with the Olympic team?
It was a great experience getting over there and view all the top wrestlers in the world compete at the highest level. Kyle [Dake] and I were ready to strap up and go back to the hotel and workout; we were so antsy to get back on the mat. It was a great experience to view it because I think Kyle has the same goals as I do and we ultimately want to win World and Olympic titles. Kyle and I were smack talking a little bit over there and had some people believing we were going to meet at a catch weight and wrestle, Kyle going 165 and me at 149, we were going to meet at 157, but it never happened. I think Kyle backed out, I don’t know.

You ever think you should have bumped up weight class earlier?
I’ve been thinking about it all season. [I’m] just living the good life at 149 and not having to worry about weight so much and just getting out there and having fun. Worrying about more of how to get better at my wrestling and how I can improve instead of going into practice and thinking, ‘I’m about five [pounds] over, how much weight should I lose today?’ It has helped me a lot. It has helped me focus on my wrestling and it’s been showing. I definitely think I should have bumped up after my freshman year, but the past is the past, and now going into this year, I have the same goal of getting the national title.

Kyle Dake · Cornell · Sr. · 165 · 32-0
On new tournament format…
It’s just kind of exciting for me, at least. Being the last match, it’s kind of like the main event. It’s just something cool the NCAA is doing. It wouldn’t matter if I was the last match or the first match. Honestly, I could care less, I just want to go out and wrestle.

On mind set coming into historic weekend wrestling for fourth consecutive national title…
I think the most important thing for me to recognize is that I got to first get there before I can make history. I got to take it once match at a time really, and if I just go out and do my job then I’m good [enough] to where I need to be. I’ve been working real hard this season; putting in the time both physically and mentally, and really pushing myself to the limit and hopefully pushing myself over the edge to get that fourth national title.

On experience training in London with the Olympic team…
Going over to London was awesome. I had a really fun time. It was really sweet to see the world’s best [wrestlers] go at it and being able to see those people compete at such a high level. It kind of set the bar and set the standard for me. I knew that in the future I was going to have to wrestle at that level, so I want to start early and try to get there now.

Ed Ruth · Penn State · Jr. · 184 · 28-0
I like the format because I’m one of the heavier weights now; it’s nice to be first at least once. First or second, it doesn’t matter as long as I am one of the earlier matches.

On home mat advantage in tournament setting…
Being at home kind of helps my morale more. You have family, friends, teachers, girlfriends, whatever and they’re all watching and you have a lot of people supporting you. Once it is all said and done it comes down to the wrestler himself. If you have a hostel fan base that is against you, it kind of makes you want to go harder, even if you have your fans around you.

Dustin Kilgore · Kent State · Sr. · 197 · 39-0
To me, really, it doesn’t matter. I think it will help the sport a little bit, with the viewers, getting more people to stick around. I know when it comes down to the heavyweight matches it tends to be that a lot of people leave the arena. Maybe this will be something that we need to change with the sport to get people to stick around so they can see all the matches. Of all the athletes here, everyone has worked just as hard as each other to get to the finals. It would be really good to show a little respect for all the athletes competing.

On coming back after redshirt season last season…
Honestly, it really doesn’t feel a whole lot different. I’m back with my family at Kent State. I’m doing the same things I did last time to become a national champion. It feels good to be back. I like folkstyle a lot more than freestyle; I wish the world would change, but that’s not going to happen. It feels good; it wasn’t really much of a change at all coming back in. I was so ready to do it again. I have a lot of anticipation for this tournament and becoming a champion again. Those are my goals and I am going to do anything I can to accomplish it. I’ve been working so hard with my coaches and teammates in the room and I have been anxious and it’s finally here. It seems like the season went by pretty fast.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 20, 2013

Awesome. I got to see the coaches in their interview. Missed these guys. Nice to read their answers.

ps: Brands is a great interview.

William Danforth added to this discussion on March 21, 2013

Long drive west. Ready for some wrestling. Time to take some photos. Five minutes till wrestling. :)

► Add to the Discussion