Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: new FR & Greco proposed rules
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 16, 2013

proposed new Olympic style wrestling rules, take a look & comment. My opinion, we are all glad ball-grab gone, but STILL waaaaaaayyy too complicated to attract the average fan.

Part of folkstyle's beauty is that it is relatively simple to grasp what its all about, i.e. the rules. Olympic styles are doomed by their continual major changes with the rules, and it always comes up complicated.

http://news.internationalwrestling.org/2013/05/rules-proposal-wrestlings-version-of-back-to-the-future/

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Tim Rudnick added to this discussion on May 17, 2013

I don't know, Bob...it doesn't seem overly complicated to me. I think going back to two "normal" periods and scrapping the 2 out of 3 period thing will seem more logical to the casual fan.

The passivity thing is a little convoluted for someone who has just a cursory familiarity with wrestling, but I don't think it'll be too bad. It's kind of like the offsides call in soccer...many casual fans really don't exactly what prompts the call, they just know what it kind of looks like and understand when the official calls it.

All in all I think it's a good step.

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on May 17, 2013

Folkstyle has just as many confusing rules to new fans. Locked hands reversal criteria different from takedown and many many others.

Wrestling is a confusing sport by natureand is not every going to be as easy to understand as soccer, bball, football.

The passivity might be a headache but by and large this is going to be great!

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on May 17, 2013

These rules will help Freetsyle and Kill Greco. A "Shot Clock" is something that will create urgency and guarantee scoring. The cumulative scoring makes sense to average people, and even wrestling people as many never understood why dominating someone in the first period wasn't worth more than two consecutive 1 point wins after. I like they took out the hand to hand as it has always been a call that lead to controversy (often times called incorrect anyways locally).

One unintended consequence of going back to cumulative scoring over two periods rather than breaking it up, is continues gut wrenches and laces will end matches. They outlawed multiple guts and laces without a hold point back when it was cumulative, but reintroduced it when there were techs per period. Now we are back to locking up a gut and ending a match. This will probably be a very early rule adjustment if these rules go through.

As for Greco they have over complicated it. They need uniformity across styles as much as possible to increase participation. By having different scoring for turns and different ways of handling passivity and even the refs decision they have once again created two completely different sports.

Hopefully the Freestyle rules go through and they re work the Greco rules to match freestyle as much as possible

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on May 17, 2013

One of the reasons I left FS/GR officiating was the constant rule changes...sometimes the rules changes were better, most times they were bad.
Think I will continue to stay away.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on May 17, 2013

Quote from Fred Feeney's post:

"One of the reasons I left FS/GR officiating was the constant rule changes...sometimes the rules changes were better, most times they were bad.
Think I will continue to stay away."

Fred these are getting closer (at least freestyle) back to where they were when you were officiating. I am all for a move back towards those rules, but only if the officials have to go back to dressing like Mr. Clean.

Fred Feeney added to this discussion on May 17, 2013

Tony, I still have all the white pants and white shirts from those days...and I am sure they fit lol

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 17, 2013

We need to allow Greco to die a dignified death. I can appreciate it but there is no reason to have two wrestling styles in the Olympics. Better to focus on one and allow Greco to hold it's own championships. It's a niche sport in a non mainstream sport. Time to let it go.

Christian Pyles added to this discussion on May 18, 2013

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"We need to allow Greco to die a dignified death. I can appreciate it but there is no reason to have two wrestling styles in the Olympics. Better to focus on one and allow Greco to hold it's own championships. It's a niche sport in a non mainstream sport. Time to let it go."

Well said.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on May 18, 2013

"We need to allow Greco to die a dignified death. I can appreciate it but there is no reason to have two wrestling styles in the Olympics. Better to focus on one and allow Greco to hold it's own championships. It's a niche sport in a non mainstream sport. Time to let it go."

I'm guessing this will keep Mr Lester out of your shop anytime in the near future. But, I guess I agree IF only one style of wrestling can remain in the Olympics I would choose FS over Greco.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on May 18, 2013

"I'm guessing this will keep Mr Lester out of your shop anytime in the near future. But, I guess I agree IF only one style of wrestling can remain in the Olympics I would choose FS over Greco."

My quote from May 9th:

"Eliminate Greco and have men and women at 9 freestyle weights apiece.
There, I said it."

I thought I'd catch much flak for that early opinion.

I doubt diverse opinions about wrestling would stop me from enjoying good food. The more palatable the food, the more palatable.....

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 18, 2013

Steve: Credit where due. And your palette is outstanding.

Had a nice visit last Saturday from Bill Danforth and Don Lorence. Learned all about their huge wrestling club near Aurora.

Who's coming next?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 18, 2013

Quote from Christian Pyles's post:

"

Well said."

Wait...I thought we were on our way to becoming mortal enemies? Now, you're agreeing with me? #confusion

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 18, 2013

"Had a nice visit last Saturday from Bill Danforth and Don Lorence. Learned all about their huge wrestling club near Aurora."

Danforth & Lorence are men of impeccable taste, i would imagine the white linen came out for this occasion. @BobP

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on May 18, 2013

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"

"Eliminate Greco and have men and women at 9 freestyle weights apiece.
There, I said it."

I thought I'd catch much flak for that early opinion.

I doubt diverse opinions about wrestling would stop me from enjoying good food. The more palatable the food, the more palatable....."

I meant Harry ;-)

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next