Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Will there be a Graham v. Blair dual?
Tom Elmer added to this discussion on January 14, 2008

I know there was some discussion of a possible dual at Graham with Blair. Is this a dead issue or is this going to happen? If so where and when? Thanks ow'ers.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 14, 2008

Tom:

When Coach Jordan was interviewed (on flo) after winning Ironman, he mentioned that he had never received calls back from Coach Buxton in the past. He said he was open to the possibility of a dual but that scheduling would be difficult and that "he'd wait for Coach Buxton to call".

Reading between the lines, the dual is not likely to happen.

Why would Graham wrestle this match?

They've basically sewed up #1 by dominating at Ironman. Had they barely won, a case could potentially be made for Blair by end of season. But, they won by roughly 50 points. All Graham has to do is wrestle close to their ability the rest of the way and they finish #1.

Part of winning a championship is following strategy. Here's Grahams:
--Dominate Ironman (and Blair)
--Beat Eds
--Win everything else

Looks to me like they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by wrestling Blair. I'm not Coach Jordan but I wouldn't do it.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 14, 2008

when i got involved in Ironman about 7 years ago i told Buxton & Urbas my goal was to have a tourn so tough that neither Blair nor st Eds would have a champ--- well that hasnt happened but have come close, one year they had one champ total between them. Alot of years they have each had only one apiece.

now Blair, seemingly unbeatable, not beaten anywhere in 6 years--- so dominant that Sport Illustrated sent a reporter & photog last season to cover them at Ironman--- Blair has taken 2nd two years in a row. St Paris breaks the Blair/stEds dynasty at Ironman---- its a dream come true to have this kind of competition. Hope it stays like this and keeps throwing out surprises !!

if the dual does come off this year at SPG, Las Vegas makes Blair a one point favorite, based on them just being Blair. And the pressure all on SPG.

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on January 16, 2008

I agree Graham really doesnt have any need to dual Blair - they won Ironman and whipped Eds so they are a solid number 1 BUT I thought Coach Jordan was open to the idea in December and heard it might happen. Interesting that Bobby P has an inside on the Vegas line with Blair as a one point favorite in a dual.As a fan I would love to see it happen.That Eds-Blair dual last year was the best match I have watched in years ( now if only Nemec beat Blasco ...)

Robert Lambert added to this discussion on January 16, 2008

pruesse---Vegas doesn't make Blair a favorite, your nose kissing Buxton's bottom does. Graham hammered Blair at Ironman. Are you going to say they weren't at full strength? Well Graham may not have been either. Dylan Blair may be the better of the 3 135's on the team. He hasn't seen the mat yet due to preseason injury.

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on January 16, 2008

Quote from Robert Lambert's post:

"pruesse---Vegas doesn't make Blair a favorite, your nose kissing Buxton's bottom does. Graham hammered Blair at Ironman. Are you going to say they weren't at full strength? Well Graham may not have been either. Dylan Blair may be the better of the 3 135's on the team. He hasn't seen the mat yet due to preseason injury."

Mr Lambert,
The smack on Bob was not necessary,was it?One assumes you know something about this sport and realize a dual is totally different than a tournament..especially a tournament that took place the first week of the season.I think Blair/Graham dual would be too close to call and hope it happens.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 16, 2008

"if the dual does come off this year at SPG, Las Vegas makes Blair a one point favorite"

lambert,
obviously my Vegas referance was a casual comment, whats to be mad about, u have a bad day ??

and if i do think Blair might have a very slight edge in a dual, thats my business isn't it-- same as your opinion on the dual is your business ?

Mike Datillo added to this discussion on January 17, 2008

It is a shame that the dual was not scheduled prior to the season starting. Everyone knew that SPG and Blair would be fighting for #1 this year. Maybe next year!

► Add to the Discussion