Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State and Kent State get ranked big time
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

Several years ago, there was an assumption among Ohio wrestling fans that the right coach at Ohio State would make all the difference. Today, Jan. 15, that supposition is becoming fact. After finishing 3rd in Vegas and 5th (4-1 record) at national duals, tOSU has 7 of 10 wrestlers ranked in the top 20. It's not quite same as Minny having 10 AA's but this program is less than three seasons removed from almost comical losses to CSU and Kent on the same day.

Oh, and just in case it went unnoticed, Kent has five wrestlers ranked in the top 20 as well. Jim Andrassy continues to do an excellent job.

Rankings courtesy of AWN.

125: Bedelyon #18, Triggas #19
Recent result: Bedelyon pinned Gabe Flores; Triggas smashed Mark McKnight.

133: Reece Humphrey #12, Steve Mitcheff #15

141: J. Jaggers #9, Drew Lashaway #16

149: Lance Palmer #6

165: Colt Sponseller #15, Kurt Gross #17
First ranking for Sponseller. Barring injury, it will be the lowest he's ever ranked over the next 4-5 years. Gross beat Illini's Roger Smith-Bergsgrud this weekend.

184: Mike Pucillo #3--Handled Sinnot and crushed Bomberger.

285: J.D. Bergman #2, Jermail Porter #15
Rashard Goff is also ranked.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

Hank also in WIN Magazine the Buckeyes are ranked 6th in the team rankings. That is the highest the Buckeyes have been in many years I think since they were 2nd in 2002. The best part about the Buckeyes is they only have two seniors and have three sophomores and three freshman. The Buckeyes look like they are in good position for years to come with Tom Ryan.

Ben Roerig added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

It will be interesting to see what happens at heavyweight after this year. OSU has a whole bevy of talented heavyweights they they've signed the past two seasons. Will it be Corey Morrison who held the spot a year ago? Zach Weinrich who was supposedly getting the best of Morrison in the room (although he wrestled off for the 197 spot this year)? Any other potential starters who could make an impact?

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

Quote from Ben Roerig's post:

"It will be interesting to see what happens at heavyweight after this year."

I agree - on the national scene and in the Buckeyes' room.

For the Buckeyes, I think it will be Morrison as the starter (I still really like his potential) with Hiles redshirting and taking the spot the next year or the year after.

Here is who returns nationally, going by the latest InterMat rankings...
1. David Zabriskie - Jr. - Iowa State
2. Wade Sauer - Sr. - Fullerton
3. Jared Rosholt - Jr. - Oklahoma State
4. Zach Hammond - Sr. - Cornell
5. Zach Sheaffer - Sr. - Pittsburgh
6. Mark Ellis - Jr. - Missouri
7. Kyle Massey - Sr. - Wisconsin
8. Joe Fendone - Sr. - Edinboro
9. John Wise - Sr. - Illinois
10. Jermail Porter - Sr. - Kent State
11. Justin Dobies - Sr. - North Carolina

Rashard Goff from Cleveland State has defeated some of these wrestlers (even as high as #4 Hammond). He returns along with Eric Schwartz, who he will battle with for the starting spot. Justin Dobies began his career as only a 184 pounder, but he's doing well at 285. He even beat Cameron Wade earlier in the year at an open tournament.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

Hank,
I thought it interesting that last weekend Sinnott beat Kish, and Pucillo beat Sinnott. This might be Mike's year to beat Kish.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 15, 2008

Jack: I have no doubt that Mike can beat anyone at this weight class. Some posters on themat.com were claiming that Kish is not 100%. Is that valid? I have no idea.
I think Pucillo looks fantastic and his top skills seem to be improving. Phil Bomberger has had a good year but Mike broke him mentally during the Penn State match.
I love Pucillo's style. Everyone knows what he's gonna do but few have answers.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 16, 2008

I had the good fortune to read somebodys post about the live TV internet feed and got to watch the entire Penn State match on Sunday, it was awesome. (My heart jumped in my throat when Colt hurt his ankle, but everything turned out great.) I knew when Mike trounced the PSU kid, it would offset a possible pin by Davis at 197 (Weakley did a commendable job). Then J.D. finished the match like we knew he would. <smile>

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on January 16, 2008

Just saw Kent State is ranked 25th by InterMat and 24th by WIN magiazine, nice to see them crack the top 25 after a 4th place finish at the Virginia Duals

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on January 16, 2008

going by what Tom Ryan has done so far at OSU, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hiles get a fair shot at starting next year. Coach Ryan seems to wrestle whoever is best at that weight, regardless of age.

► Add to the Discussion