Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Penn State - Round 2
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 21, 2008

Just one man's look at how things might go a second time.

125: McKnight v Triggas
McKnight got tossed after going upper body with Triggas at National Duals. Then he got ridden and turned. I would anticipate that McKnight will wrestle more cautiously on his feet and avoid bottom if possible. If Triggas stays patient on his feet and successfully counters McKnights leg attacks, he can beat him again. I expect a low scoring bout decided by only a few points. I think Triggas can beat him again because the first match showed how vulnerable McKnight is on bottom. McKnight will wrestle cautiously, however, in order to avoid the big moves. Interesting match. Let's award it to Penn State. 3-0 PSU

133: Hump v Haas
Hump ate him up winning an easy in the National Duals. Will he have the same energy level? I think Hump wins again but it's tighter. 3-3

141: Scott/Strayer v Jaggers--Key match
Jags won a close one over Strayer at National Duals but he seemed in control. My guess is Scott will wrestle. Scott was just beaten by LeClere so he's not the superstar that some claim. But he presents a new challenge for J. Jaggers has been inconsistent in duals; indeed he reminds me of Bergman last season. This match could go either way. We'll give it to PSU. 6-6

149: Palmer v Jenkins--Key Match
Palmer won the first one in a wild match where Jenkins showed some great offense but buried himself by making some big mistakes (if you can call trying a cement mixer a mistake). Jenkins also has a significant knee problem according to Jason Bryant. Bryant was defending Jenkins from the hordes of Iowa posters claiming that he was faking injury to catch his breath when he let this slip. I have no idea whether this was supposed to common knowledge--but now it is. Jenkins took a beating on Sunday from Brent Metcalf and I don't see him recovering to beat Palmer. I think he'll wrestle a slower paced match (which would be smart) but that Palmer finds a way to win. 9-6 Bucks

157: Vallimont v Johnstone
Dan Vallimont has come on strong this season and is on a roll. Johnstone knows how to battle but the best he's likely to do is keep it close. 9-9

165: Rella v Sponseller
Rella came out strong against Sponseller but faded hard. I think it's likely to have embarrassed him alot. Rella just won a major over Iowa's other 165 backup and I expect him to battle Spons hard. I think Spons wins again because he has that huge motor and ferocious desire--but it'll be a fight the whole time. 12-9 OSU

174: Erwin v Picazo
Erwin by major again. 13-12 PSU

184: Pucillo v Bomberger
Mike tore Bomberger to shreds at National Duals. This time Bomberger keeps it to a major. 16-13 OSU

197: Davis v Weakley
Weakley wrestled Davis hard the last time. He needs to do it again. Key for Weakley is to not get pinned. Davis by major 17-16 PSU

285: Bergman v Laboranti
Bergman by dec. 19-17 OSU

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 21, 2008

Check your math b/w 133 and 141, 3-3, dec PSU to 6-6?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 21, 2008

I see your point. Well, that changes things doesn't it?

Incidentally, I watched film of Jenkins getting destroyed by Metcalf. I can't believe this kid will wrestle against Palmer. He's gotta be hurt because he looked so horrible against Metcalf after the first period. We'll see.

► Add to the Discussion