Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Eds-Blair: What a difference a year makes...
Tom Elmer added to this discussion on January 25, 2008

No buzz...no discussion other than the usual "how far Eds has fallen". Blair has been unbeatable the past 2 weeks..other than Sako, Clark, Palmer, and Roddy I do not know who will win. Seems the Blair lineup is back at full strength with Mason back. That Graham dual doesn't look like it will happen either from what I read on the forums.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

George Nussbaum added to this discussion on January 25, 2008

I'm not so sure about giving Clark the W that quickly. Boyle is pretty tough.

Ed Bailey added to this discussion on January 27, 2008

I just read on another forum that Roddy is out for the year can anyone verify this?

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on January 27, 2008

I have read that he was involved in a minor car accident this past week, and the injury was to his back. That is scary, as back injuries are never to be taken lightly. I don't know the extent, but let's hope he recovers fully. If there is any question regarding his health, I would hold him out until he is 100%, state tournament be damned. You don't mess around with back injuries. Thoughts go out.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 27, 2008

Eds did a very commendable job in winning 6 matches against Blair, who had recently smoked Easton PA 12 matches to two. I think some PA fans were on the verge of claiming Eds was overated in national ratings. Though, such is the nature of rankings that the situation with Roddy* can make a difference.

I had seen projections where Eds was expected to win only four matches against mighty Blair, at best, and, further, thought three of those (103, 112, and 135) could go Blair's way. Roddy's absence took one of those "wins" away from Eds. To hear all of the sniping about trouble at Eds, their winning only three matches seemed reasonable. Didn't it?

They turned out wrong!

Palmer over Ormsbee, Clark over Boyle, and Sako over Silver all happened. I suppose that constituted "holding" serve at those weights. But Eds' other wrestlers stepped up to the challenge as Birt defeated Guzzo, who had placed third at the Ironman, Martinson defeated Shanaman (they both went out in the same Ironman conso round), and Green at 215 continued his gritty efforts by taking down Hanzlik, who placed fifth at the Ironman. That was a great showing!

Further, Suba and Salupo did their jobs by holding their highly ranked opponenets (Mason and Villalonga) to a major and regular decision, respectively. I also thought Cobos' improvement over the past few weekends would put him into a toss-up role against Buxton (that match ended up with Buxton prevailing 1-0).

Roddy's presence would have made for a VERY intersting ending. But that's a coulda, woulda...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you may be have been aware of the sniping that had happened on the heels of the Eds-Graham dual. I have reason to believe that Eds' coaches were also aware of it and we had a least one former Eds wrestler making public comments in defense of the program.

I don't think it was a coincidence that at the prematch ceremony to the Eds-St. Ignatius dual, when that famous chef and former Eds alum was to be honored, Coach Urbas took the opportunity, with microphone in hand, to make a short and emotional speech extolling the accomplishments of Eds' assistant coach John Heffernan. When his voice choked, it hit me how unfair it was that Urbas thought it necessary (if that is what happened).

It enrages me thinking about it. I'd really like to tell certain people where to stick it, but this forum has certain decorum. <thumbsdown>

Great job by the Eds wrestlers and by the Eds coaches in their development. <thumbsup>

*I don't think anyone here is privy to what is happening with Roddy so we await definitive word.

Tom Elmer added to this discussion on January 27, 2008

Brian Roddy had back issues over the summer. Hopefully the forum buzz that has him done for the season is typical forum BS and not true. Eds did a fine job yesterday. I only wish a healthy Roddy was in the lineup to make those overconfident Blair fans sweat it out but beating Blair is never tops on the Eds agenda, performing at the state tournament is.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 27, 2008

Steve,

If a team is top dog, a certain amount of sniping comes with the territory. Naturally not everyone is a St. Eds fan and those people are allowed their opinion, too.

St. Eds apparently wrestled great vs Blair yesterday, better than I thought -- but then again 2 years ago at Blair they wrestled worse, much worse. Neither case means people who made predictions should be chastised.

Anyone who knows the St. Eds program also knows coach Heffernan has been a mainstay for at least a decade and a half there. (Urbas is always emotional, if u know him u know that.)

George Nussbaum added to this discussion on January 27, 2008

Is there a boxscore available?

Steve Lester added to this discussion on January 27, 2008

"Neither case means people who made predictions should be chastised."

Depends on if predictions are a result of objectivity or something else.

I agree that serious, measured predictions should not be chastised but one can normally tell the difference.

"(Urbas is always emotional, if u know him u know that.)"

Don't know him, so I absolutely follow your lead on this. Perhaps I shouldn't have offered my "out of school" opinion about the timing, but it rankles.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 27, 2008

Steve,
well theres been sniping about the st Eds coaches on forums, so if it hits a nerve i understand why. But comes with the territory. Blair has taken their share of shots--- and now st Paris will too, as we've seen already . ----ignore the naysayers.

Heffernan an outstanding coach from what i've seen, has made a few mistakes i'm sure, but st Eds would suffer without him i think.

► Add to the Discussion