Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Toughest Guy you ever faced
Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 11, 2015

I was reading the reply from Tony Jameson and thought it might be neat to hear what people say.

Actually, as I am typing, I seem to recall this being a topic in the past.

Either way, let's do it again. Who is the toughest guy you ever faced?

I have a long list of guys that beat me up pretty good, so it is hard to narrow it down. It is a tight race between Koschek, Greg Jones and Donny Pritzlaff, however none come close to the worst beating I ever took at a camp by Jim Jordan.

I wrestled Jones and Koschek numerous times in my career and had some fairly decent matches with them, but I just remember them being so hard to score on. I could get in on shots, but not come close to finishing. Not to mention that Koschek was strong as an ox, and Jones was the best athlete I was ever on the mat with.

I wrestled Pritzlaff at the US Open. It did not last long!

Jim Jordan is the first guy who ever showed me what really wrestling hard in practice was like. Man, he was good.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 12, 2015

Tim Dernlan...gentleman assassin.

He took my right hamstring from a figure four and put it on my left shoulder blade; I was grateful he permitted me the opportunity to roll to my back in order to relieve the pressure. : )

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 12, 2015

When you were as bad as I was, everyone was tough.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 12, 2015

I was in junior high at a freestyle event and had won 4 or 5 matches. Then I wrestled Larry Vance and Greg Elinsky back to back and got beat up. Didn't score in either match though I didn't get pinned.

One year later--the same thing happened. The difference was that they had both gotten a lot better while I hadn't. Vance rung my bell so hard my nose bled while Elinsky just beat me like I owed him money. Got pinned back to back. I was p-ssed because some guy I beat first round was still going that day while I got eliminated because of my draw.

Vance was a two time state finalist and wrestled for Clemson. Elinksy was a 4x AA at Penn State and made the Olympic Trials finalist in 92 or 96 but lost to Kenny Monday.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on February 12, 2015

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"When you were as bad as I was, everyone was tough."

echo that,
but to name a couple Jared Weinfurtner of Athens (3x state placer)who pummeled me for my entire wrestling career and Ben Gabriel of Maysville (I believe x2 state placer), who wiped the mat with me a couple of times.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 12, 2015

Oh, yeah! Eric Anderson from Bellaire St. John. He beat the piss out of me for about a period and a half before racking p 15 answered points. The facttaht I last that long is a testament to how fast I could run and how nice of a guy he was.

I also got the tar beat out of me by Moricio Cumbaya (Lorain Southview). That was even quicker of a loss. (He wasn't as nice.)

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on February 12, 2015

Two specific matches come to mind,

In High School, my FIRST ever Greco match came my sophomore year, when I was still trying to figure out this whole wrestling thing, against Ryan Mango. Back-to-back 5 point throws and a very sore neck later, that match was over.

In College, I had the privilege of wrestling LogieBear at NCAA's one of the years he tore through the bracket. Needless to say, that was a tough one.

Bill Watson added to this discussion on February 12, 2015

I think mine was Harry Lester at open mats in Solon. The reason I chose him was I would pick him week in and week out and then be upset over and over again when I didn't get a takedown. Not really a match but a longer beating. Worst part is I would get in insanely deep and still not score.

As far as butt kicking go, Mark Jayne my freshman year at Medina. I was a 103 at 12 because of a Senior at 103, he was a man at 12.... Terrible ending

Cory Surles added to this discussion on February 12, 2015

Miguel Spencer of the Army WCAP team....just a straight up beast.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 12, 2015

In a match: Brandon Paulson (AA for MN, '96 Olympic Silver Medalist and world silver medalist). Had one nice win over him, a couple close losses but the older we got, the worse he beat me. His learning curve was steeper than mine.

In practice: Matt Dernlan -- sad that Liberty University dropping their program robbed him of his chance to be an NCAA Champ. His redshirt year (last year before LU dropped program), he beat Shawn Enright that season 16-4. Enright finished 4th that year at the NCAA's. He gave me plenty of beatings. He'd probably never admit it but I had one takedown on him. One in three years. One. Woof.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on February 12, 2015

Adam DiSabato nearly beat me to death at a combined wrestling practice in 86', then Kenny Ramesy decided to work a series of front head locks that quickly induced the feeling of being a small mouse in a tangle with a big snake. After doing my best to not look injured, I drifted over to the puke bucket and had a session. Yee Ha!!

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on February 13, 2015

When I was a freshman in HS, I bumped up from 98lbs to wrestle Rex. It went pretty well at 1st. I was able to weave in and out between his legs and score a couple of quick takedowns. But, then he finally got a hold of me. The ICU at OSU is really nice and to be honest, the food wasn't bad.

This is my bid to make Rex smile 3 years in a row :-)

John Flanigan added to this discussion on February 13, 2015

Even though I had the "pleasure" of facing Ken Ramsey twice in two days, he was not the toughest I faced in high school. My junior year I was up a weight at a tourney and had to face David Wlodarz from Stritch (at least one runner up showing, maybe 2). It was brutality at its finest, and one of the few times I felt physically beaten down.

The worst in college was facing someone from Ashland, who physically dominated me as well - I think the name was LaPaglia. I had wrestled a couple of D1 NQs, but no one beat me like this.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on February 13, 2015

In Jr High, I took a bad beating from GT Taylor at an AAU event (I think?). I remember looking at him during weigh ins and wondering why someones coach was weighing in too.

Kim Lance added to this discussion on February 13, 2015

Bruce Baumgartner......it wasn't pretty.....

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next