Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Division 2 State Tournament Discussion and Results
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on February 25, 2008

Pairings: http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/wr/boys/2008/bd2pair.htm
List of qualifiers: http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/wr/boys/2008/bd2part.htm

St. Paris Graham is overwhelming favorite here. 9 potential finalists and they could break the record of number of individual state champions with 7 this year. They should break the point record that Saint Edward set last year.

I think the distant runner-up will be between Walsh Jesuit, Oak Harbor or St. Francis DeSales.

However the headline of the tournament should be Dustin Carter the wrestle from Hillsboro who had his limbs amputated when he was 5. He has been the touching story of overcoming the odds and reaching your dreams that you set out for yourself.

Here is the link to the Dustin Carter story:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080225/SPT0301/802250382/

Last edited by Dan Ransick on February 28, 2008; edited 2 times in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on February 26, 2008

Graham has six projected - just need to hold serve to tie the record; peck one to break.

103- Carter should win his first match, Romanchik would be favored in the quarterfinal on Friday morning. I have Carter coming back to place after that - anywhere from 5th-8th. DiJulius has the super easy side with only Romanchik/Carter of remote substance. Mitch has to clear Cramer, Burkhardt, and Brascetta - while none should pose great danger, all are legit wrestlers.

112- Despite Taylor being here, this weight is very deep. Inghram, Westfall, and Minnard would make for a legitimate DII state champion in a normal year - with kids like Young, Ditcher, Worthington, Miller (Defiance) legit spoilers. Inghram v Minnard, likely, would be a rematch of last year's state semifinal that Inghram won.

119- Stacked weight class with the top four and maybe a couple more back. Garbrandt v Gilchrist and Papesh v Neibert as semis. Gilchrist v Garringer FIRST ROUND - two time SP's go at it, yeesh!

125- Despite Vaughan and Armstrong as perceived favorites, this weight is truly wide open. Vaughan is going to have to run a gauntlet to win his title - Leek, Silvers/Flores, Meyer, and then a final. Baxter looks locked and loaded on the other side, but Armstrong is a tough clear in that semi.

130- The names may get lost in the midst of those in DI (and DIII) but there is solid balance. Henline v Severance in the first round with winner hitting Melillo is a quarter to watch. Collins is undefeated in the other quarter of that half. Stephens is of course up top with Highower.

135- In kind of fair fashion, Firestone v Fostoria here first round. The Firestone #5 would have won the Fostoria district if you ask me - this way at least the best kids will remain after round one. I see all four Firestone kids top six here with Skonieczny v Ryan as the final.

140- Bottom much stronger on top. The freshman Stephens should clear the top and could be that "poached" state championship - Riedy in the quarter is his toughest match. Dukes v Sulzer is the bottom semi, Sulzer with Neff in a quarter though.

145- This is a very competitive weight ... if you removed Ben Jordan from it. Fraley, Canty, McGookey, Painter, et al are all very close.

152- Boyd has the much tougher side than Tank, not that it really matters though as Boyd should work through it somewhat easily. The question is if Pool can upset Tank in the semifinal.

160- Lots of balance, lots of great early matches - though Cubberly is a strong favorite. Mannier is gonna have to battle for his finals slot opposite of Cubberly, starting with (likely) Thurn in the quarters. Cheatham v Kilroy for seemingly the millionth time in the first round, winner facing the tough Bittenger. Cubberly and Garbrandt met in the semis last year, likely quarter this year.

171- Very similar to 160 except the favorite not as defined. Michaels has a very clean top side for him to hit the final. I was very impressed with him at the Fostoria District - very good competitor, though the physical size is not there (has good length). Thomusseit/Roth, Witt/Mills are quarters on the bottom.

189- Magrum and Foster the two best here.

215- Fisher v Snyder could be an interesting quarter. I think Fisher is able to recover from last week's loss and run a tough gauntlet of Snyder, Pickerel, and Pummil to win state. Fostoria will try to extract revenge on Firestone for 135 at this weight.

285- Walls being upset in the district sets the projected state finals bout with Hiles into the quarters. I think Hiles wins that, and the state title. Wolfe is a relatively obscure kid - UC football recruit - but he could clear the top and hit the final. Williams-Green v Holcomb is a potential 4/1 upset special.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on February 26, 2008

Josh,

You are right they are favored in 6 of the weight classes and that would tie the record. I think of the remaining 3 that could reach the finals I feel Armstrong has the best chances of winning the title.

Maggie Lamantia added to this discussion on February 27, 2008

what weight is Dustin Carter??

that story's awesome and I'm looking forward to watching him wrestle!

Mark Viviani added to this discussion on February 27, 2008

dustin carter is 103 i believe

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on February 27, 2008

Dustin Carter is at 103 lbs. he is a truly remarkable story and is definately going to be a fan favorite as well. I wish him nothing but the best from here at OhioWrestling.Net.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 28, 2008

This is what I've heard...

125 - King beat Nakama 2-0

Vaughn lost to Leek

Tucker pinned his kid

103 -

I heard Stephens lost

The only result I am certain of is King-Nakama, just getting some texts from someone at the Schott.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on February 28, 2008

Ethan,

Vaugh and Stephens both lost there opening matches. Both projected state champions both now in the consolation bracket. Also Matt Stephens lost in the opening round of the state tournament.

That is a devastating blow for Graham in hopes of tying the 6 state champion record from Cleveland West back in 1951. Obviously Graham will still win the tournament but it will be interesting what other upsets occur.

Thanks Dan. I am in shock about some of those upsets.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 28, 2008

Jeremy Maiwurm, Orrville dec. Brian Stephens, St. Paris Graham 4-2 OT

Correct me if I'm wrong...but were either Stephens expected to lose first round? Both did.

Rob Eddy, Cadiz Harrison Central dec. Matt Stephens, St. Paris Graham 9-7 OT

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on February 28, 2008

yeah both Stephens losing is pretty suprising.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on February 28, 2008

No neither Stephens was expected to lose first round. Both actually had a pretty straight shot to make it to the finals with Brian being favored and Matt being the underdog to either Sulzer or Dukes.

With Vaughn losing this opens it up for Armstrong to win at 125 so maybe after all they will get 6 champions. 112, 119, 125, 145, 152, 171. If Brian had not lost they would be on the inside track for 7 state champions.

Eddy was fourth in his sectional. I had never heard much about Harrison Central, but they have a solid team.

I checked the Brakeman. Eddy isn't even mentioned. The Orrville kid that won at 130 was #20.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next