Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Kowatch will not return as head coach at Ashland University
Fred Feeney added to this discussion on March 7, 2008

http://www.ashland.edu/athletics/press-news.php?pressID=852

Ashland University director of athletics Bill Goldring announced today that Ray Kowatch will not return as the university’s wrestling coach in 2008-09.

“I’d like to thank Coach Kowatch for his service to Ashland University and our wrestling program,” said Goldring. “We’re committed to the sport of wrestling at Ashland and look forward to an exciting and successful future.”

A national search for Kowatch’s replacement will begin immediately.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 7, 2008

Whoa.

Aren't the D2 nationals next week? This seems completely out of nowhere, and with very little info in the press release I'm scratching my head.

He certainly had done a great job as the coach at Ashland.

Ted Tonn added to this discussion on March 7, 2008

Nationals are coming, where I think AU will do very well at if this doesn't become a distraction. Hard to believe that it won't now. The timing is really suspect as it would be much harder for the AD to justify doing this after the team/coach does well at nationals. Ray does a tremendous job at AU and made it the national power that it is. I have nothing but respect for the man, what he's done there, and what he's done within the community. There are big shoes to fill for whoever steps in, that's for sure.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 7, 2008

This is surprising news. When one examines the collegiate wrestling scene in Ohio, Ashland has been one of the state's most successful programs. It's probably the last place where I expected to see a coaching change.

I congratulate Coach Kowatch on his success and hope that this decision was his to make.

Good luck to Ashland's wrestlers and programs this weekend.

Matt Hammons added to this discussion on March 7, 2008

Quote from Ted Tonn's post:

"Ray does a tremendous job at AU and made it the national power that it is."

I don't think Kowatch can take the credit for making Ashland a national power.

Pete Carnabuci added to this discussion on March 10, 2008

This has been coming for a long time. Only the people in the program truly know how Ray Kowatch is as a wrestling coach and a person. Ashland University has been under achieving for many years and that is a direct reflection on his coaching style. There is no respect for someone like Ray Kowatch from most of the wrestlers that have ever been under him. My time spent there he was verbally and physically abusive to some well beyond tough love. Ray Kowatch is a great recruiter and has lived off the talent and hard work that high school coaches have put in with the wrestlers that go there. Being in the room for four years, the only teaching that went on was from other wrestlers on the team. His constant negativity and thinking that he is all powerful has put him in a situation where he has now been told he can not go to the upcoming national tournament and has had a restraining order placed on him from the university. Alumni from the past four years are very pleased and feel that this is the best thing that could have happened for the program.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 11, 2008

Bump

Aaron Gibson added to this discussion on March 12, 2008

Quote from Pete Carnabuci's post:

"This has been coming for a long time. Only the people in the program truly know how Ray Kowatch is as a wrestling coach and a person. Ashland University has been under achieving for many years and that is a direct reflection on his coaching style. There is no respect for someone like Ray Kowatch from most of the wrestlers that have ever been under him. My time spent there he was verbally and physically abusive to some well beyond tough love. Ray Kowatch is a great recruiter and has lived off the talent and hard work that high school coaches have put in with the wrestlers that go there. Being in the room for four years, the only teaching that went on was from other wrestlers on the team. His constant negativity and thinking that he is all powerful has put him in a situation where he has now been told he can not go to the upcoming national tournament and has had a restraining order placed on him from the university. Alumni from the past four years are very pleased and feel that this is the best thing that could have happened for the program."

While the alumni may feel it is the best interest for the program, the timing stinks for the 5 national qualifiers. Talk about a distraction! I think the AD and coach should have worked out their differences for at least a few more weeks and put the pi$$ing match aside for the wrestlers who have to compete. Why not make all coaching changes after the season is over? Like 2 more weeks would have made a difference!

► Add to the Discussion