Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Olympics
Luke Moore added to this discussion on August 4, 2021

I am surprised there is not more talk about the olympics on this forum, so I thought I would share some of my thoughts.

1- Mensah-Stock...how does everyone not love her? What a personality and story. I thought she wrestled a very similar style to Cox, and it obviously worked.

2- D.T. looks unbeatable, I hope it continues against Yazdani. Taylor's pace and heavy hands wear guys down. SO fun to watch.

3- Gray looked good but really had a hard time finishing shots I thought. I know it is hard to criticize an olympic silver medalist, but that was an observation in a couple matches.

4- On the flip side, if the Russians get a leg, they are finishing!

5- The Cuban heavy in Greco...wow!

6- Maroulis has great technique, I wish she would have opened it up more in the semis. I really feel like she was the better wrestler, maybe I am wrong.

7- Gilman, I think the same thing. Every time he shot he got to a leg, why is he not attacking more. And then I feel like his hands got light when he got the lead late...I think that cost him.

8- I am gonna get killed for this, but greco is just boring. The scoring is confusing, with random points and bad officiating. And these guys very rarely take any risks. Plus, we are just bad at it.

9- the Burroughs/Smith dynamic in the booth is AWESOME!

10- and not wrestling related, I could listen to Rowdy Gaines in the booth for ANY sport and it would be exciting. If you have not seen the video of him calling the mens relay in swimming, look it up, you won't be disappointed!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on August 4, 2021

[quote="Luke Moore"
8- I am gonna get killed for this, but greco is just boring. The scoring is confusing, with random points and bad officiating. And these guys very rarely take any risks. Plus, we are just bad at it.
[/quote]

Let me start by saying that I agree with you. My son and I disagree about this every time we get together and wrestling gets discussed.
That said, and I agree with you first two points, how does "bad officiating" enter the picture? If you are confused by the scoring and don't understand random points, maybe that is the problem and the officiating is fine?
BTW, just because we don't like or don't understand the officiating does not make it bad.
Again, I agree, it is BORING to me.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on August 5, 2021

The Russian who barely beat Gilman just took Gold at 125, I have to wonder what a healthy Spenser Lee would have done against him.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 5, 2021

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"The Russian who barely beat Gilman just took Gold at 125, I have to wonder what a healthy Spenser Lee would have done against him."

I think right now Thomas Gilman is better than Spencer Lee. I watched Gilman twice. He looked like lightning. It took a superb Russian to beat him and it was in the final seconds.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 5, 2021

I think a healthy Spencer Lee is five points better than Gilman. Now, “healthy” is clearly where we run into an issue.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on August 5, 2021

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"The Russian who barely beat Gilman just took Gold at 125, I have to wonder what a healthy Spenser Lee would have done against him."

The Russian Ugeuv has been one of my favorites of the Olympics so far. Twice was 10 seconds from losing and pulled the matches out. Right up there with D.T.'s most awesome match!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on August 6, 2021

Snyder looked good, interested in how well he does after leaving ORTC.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 6, 2021

The American freestyle squad both men and women have been stellar. Out of 11 spots, 10 have either medaled or are wrestling for medals.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 6, 2021

Gable Steveson vs the Georgian is on short list of the greatest matches in history regardless of style, imo. Up there with Dan Gable--Owing, Snyder-Gwiz, and a handful of others.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on August 6, 2021

To have to score 2 TD's in 13 seconds is insane! David Taylor's match was great but the Steveson match was over the top.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 7, 2021

Snyder lost 6-3.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 7, 2021

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"Snyder lost 6-3."

Excellent match. Sadulaev was waiting on his low single and put him in danger immediately with a crotch lift both times.

Snyder fought back well. Kudos to him.

I got up at 530am to watch and saw a lot of great matches. Glad I did it.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on August 7, 2021

What would have been the outcome and score had Cox faced Sadulaev?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 7, 2021

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"What would have been the outcome and score had Cox faced Sadulaev?"

Cox isn’t beating Sadulaev now or ever. He got beat at 92KG and then withdrew. He is levels below.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 7, 2021

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"What would have been the outcome and score had Cox faced Sadulaev?"

Cox isn’t beating Sadulaev now or ever. He got beat at 92KG and then withdrew. He is levels below."

Wait… when did he get beat at 92 kg?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next