Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Thomas Gilman
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 6, 2021

He's now won World Gold, World Silver and Olympic Bronze. He never won an NCAA title. Pretty amazing.

Congrats to him. Many far more accomplished collegiate competitors have never come close to earning 3 World medals.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on October 7, 2021

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"He's now won World Gold, World Silver and Olympic Bronze. He never won an NCAA title. Pretty amazing.

Congrats to him. Many far more accomplished collegiate competitors have never come close to earning 3 World medals."

Good point. The only person that comes to mind who didn't win an NCAA title yet has three World/Olympic medals is Kevin Jackson (3 golds).

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on October 7, 2021

Gilman never won a NCAA title but was the country's top 125 pounder in his senior season and among the top wrestlers at any weight class. He happened to be on the wrong side of an historic upset to Darian Cruz.

Still, I would agree the level of success he's having on the senior level was not expected. He's not an incredible athlete but makes up for it with power and clean finishes.

He'll have to stay sharp through 2024 to hold off the young guns eyeing his spot - Fix, a healthy Lee, Vito, maybe Suriano. As a Buckeye fan, hopefully Tomasello is healthy and motivated by then as well. He's improving.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 8, 2021

I used to dislike Gilman when he had his wars with Tomasello but freestyle Gilman has grown on me. Dude's got grit and he finds a way to get it done. Brands picked the wrong horse (understandably so at the time). There is some great young talent but Gilman is still getting better. Lee has no ACL's, Fix and Tomasello clearly seem more suited for 60 kg, and Gilman beat up on Vito last time they wrestled. Gilman will own the weight for the next 3 years and keep winning medals (and hopefully titles).

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 9, 2021

I agree Scott -- but still very excited to watch a TG vs SL series. I think this weight is a two man battle in '23 & '24.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on October 10, 2021

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"I used to dislike Gilman when he had his wars with Tomasello but freestyle Gilman has grown on me. Dude's got grit and he finds a way to get it done. Brands picked the wrong horse (understandably so at the time). There is some great young talent but Gilman is still getting better. Lee has no ACL's, Fix and Tomasello clearly seem more suited for 60 kg, and Gilman beat up on Vito last time they wrestled. Gilman will own the weight for the next 3 years and keep winning medals (and hopefully titles)."

100%

► Add to the Discussion