Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks #8 vs. Tar Heels #14
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 1, 2021

125 #15 Malik vs. NR
133 Gonzales/Koontz vs. #13 Hernandez
141 Decatur vs. #14 Kizhan Clarke
149 #1 Sasso vs. NR
157 Hubbard/Paddy vs. #2 O'Connor
165 #10 Carson vs. NR
174 #6 Smith vs. #22 Gavin Kane
184 Jordan vs. #17 Clay Lautt
197 Hoffman vs. #23 Max Shaw
285. #7 Orndoff vs. #33 Brandon Whitman

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 1, 2021

My thoughts:
125 – Malik Heinselman v. Spencer Moore. Need bonus here from Malik. It looks like it will be freshman for UNC. If Malik can get a major, or better, that would be good. I think he gets OSU started off right.
OSU 4 – UNC 0

133 – Koontz/Gonzales v. Jamie Hernandez. It would be nice to avoid bonus here, but I’m not counting on it.
OSU 4 – UNC 4

141 – Jordan Decatur v. Kizhan Clarke. I think Decatur can keep it close and possibly pull off the upset. Just thinking if I would pick D’Emilio here, and I would have it as a toss up. I’ll predict Clarke but really hope I’m wrong.
OSU 4 – UNC 7

149 – Sammy Sasso v. Zach Sherman. Probably the marquee matchup of the night. I think Sasso gets a controlled victory. Sammy pulling off a cradle and sticking Sherman would be nice.
OSU 7 – UNC 7

157 – Jashon Hubbard v. Austin O’Connor. Major for UNC, hoping it’s not worse.
OSU 7 – UNC 11

165 – Carson Kharchla v. Sonny Santiago. Santiago is a RS frosh and has a solid resume, but I think Carson at least ties it up here. A tech is not out of the question.
OSU 11 – UNC 11

174 – Ethan Smith v. Gavin Cane. Cane, a RS frosh, pushed Clay Lautt, who was ranked 16th at this weight, up to 184. I think Smith gets the victory, but this one could be tight.
OSU 14 – UNC 11

184 – Rocky Jordan v. Clay Lautt. Lautt wrestled off at 174, so I am hoping that Jordan will be able to use his size/strength to control Lautt from the top and get a turn or two. Lautt will be quicker, and if he is able to take Rocky down, that could spell trouble. I’m giving Rocky the benefit here, but this is the closest match to a toss up.
OSU 17 – UNC 11

197 – Gavin Hoffman v. Max Shaw. Shaw won a match at nationals last year and beat Nick Reenan at the ACC tourney. I think he squeaks out a win over Hoffman.
OSU 17 – UNC 14

285 – Tate Orndorff v. Brandon Whitman. Whitman was the backup last year and didn’t wrestle much. I think Tate gets the win and seals the deal for the Buckeyes.
OSU 20 – UNC 14

This is a tight match and any upsets could either break it open or swing the match towards UNC. I can’t wait to be in Covelli to watch the Bucks!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 1, 2021

This is one of those crazy dual meets that the actual matches that are wrestled might not be all that close/competitive, but the final score could be within 3 points.

See y'all there!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 1, 2021

Bucks seem to be solid favorites to me. I will say that first comps often have upsets but that can go either way.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 1, 2021

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Bucks seem to be solid favorites to me. I will say that first comps often have upsets but that can go either way."

And since this is an Ohio wrestling forum, by default, all "toss-up" matches will end in the Buckeyes' favor.

Naturally.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 1, 2021

OSU's starter at 125 will be telling. If it's someone other than Malik, it signals the staff's confidence in landing Suriano for the second semester with the plan of redshirting Malik.

Ideally, Suriano would come to Columbus at 133 and greatly improve a weak spot. But online chatter has him wanting to go 125 wherever he lands.

If you're Tom Ryan, you don't get greedy. Suriano can go whatever weight he pleases.

Suriano visited Columbus over the weekend. If he comes, OSU jumps into trophy contention behind only Penn State and Iowa.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 1, 2021

You can wrestle Malik a handful of matches and still redshirt him....I think. But I get Drew's point.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on November 1, 2021

Hank: others should correct me if I’m wrong, but pretty sure a wrestler burns his redshirt the moment he competes for his team. Wrestling has yet to adopt football redshirt rules.

Mike Stann added to this discussion on November 2, 2021

A little off topic but I have an extra ticket to this duel. Plus side it's free, minus side you'll have to sit by me. Message me a name and email and I can transfer the ticket to you (I think, looks easy but I haven't done it yet). I'll just have to make it first come first served

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on November 2, 2021

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Hank: others should correct me if I’m wrong, but pretty sure a wrestler burns his redshirt the moment he competes for his team. Wrestling has yet to adopt football redshirt rules."

Correct.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 2, 2021

I wonder if any Buckeyes will be at MSU open on Saturday

Side note I see future Buckeye Nick Feldman is registered at 285. for Clarion open this weekend

Don Bork added to this discussion on November 2, 2021

Was wondering the same about the MSU Open. Any insiders have information about that? I think track wrestling might list entrants, but no information was available there yesterday. Also, has anyone heard if “extra” matches are being wrestled as was done last year? I think the extra matches allowed kids to remain in redshirt.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 2, 2021

I had read somewhere that there will be extra matches, but I cannot find it anywhere.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 2, 2021

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"Was wondering the same about the MSU Open. Any insiders have information about that? I think track wrestling might list entrants, but no information was available there yesterday. Also, has anyone heard if “extra” matches are being wrestled as was done last year? I think the extra matches allowed kids to remain in redshirt."

Coach Ryan said about 20 kids will be at MSU Saturday. Guess we will have to see who.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on November 4, 2021

I have two tickets for this. First one to PM me can have them. No charge. I just want someone to use them. If I recall correctly, they are on the floor nine or so rows back. Pretty good seats.

Two issues: first, I have to remember to check my PMs. I will set a reminder on my work calendar. Second, I have to figure out how to transfer them, though I have the app now so I should be able to do it.

I hope someone can use them. This will happen a few times this yesr because of other issues so they likely will be available again.

Go Bucks!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next