Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: OSU recruits at the Powerade
Rob Wagner added to this discussion on December 30, 2021

OSU has a good amount of recruits over the next few years wrestling at the Powerade tournament, accompanied with mixed results.

Bouzakis (132) Looking dominant in all of his victories with either a tech or pin. Kid is special. Really hoping his brother, who is also in the finals, follows suit to Columbus.

K Williams (120) Defaulted out of the quarters while down 10-6. He looked good before that. Not worried about the sophomore and hope he is alright.

Kilkeary (120) Eh, the #1 seed went down in the quarters 2-1. (unseeded wrestler) He won in the consi's until being upset by the #7 seed. He will wrestling 5th/6th today. Was hoping for a better result here.

Geog (172) Lost to a tough #6 seed Thompson 3-1 in the quarters. Would say a mild upset despite seeding. He then loses a close match to fellow OSU recruit Welsh and will be wrestling for 7/8. He seems to shut down a bit in the bigger matches.

Welsh (172) The aforementioned Junior fell in the Quarters (Tough round) 6-3 to the 7 seed. He then went on to beat #1 seed and #1 at his weight Gabe Arnold in the wrestlebacks. Hope he gets 3rd tonight, very excited about this kid.

Feldman (285)- No summary needed. Dominant once again. He faces a tough challenge tonight vs the #2 ranked guy at his weight according to most polls. Not worried one bit.

Overall an up and down tournament for these guys and a pretty poor showing by the Ohio schools (Eds/Moeller/Wadsworth) but thats why these tough tournaments exist, to learn and get better come March.

Feldman (285)- No summary needed. Dominant once again. He faces a tough challenge tonight vs the #2 ranked guy at his weight according to most polls. Not worried one bit.

Happy New Year everyone.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason Fair added to this discussion on December 30, 2021

Agree that It’s easy to be excited about Feldman. He will be ready to make an impact immediately and it will be interesting to see how they handle him (and Bouzakis and Mendez). Do they go right away or RS?

I think Welsh looked like the better wrestler in his QF match. Not worried here and glad to see him fight back in consolations with the win over Gabe Arnold. While Welsh beat Geog I think he (Geog) could be a sleeper down the road.

Kilkeary has taken some losses this year. Maybe adjusting to 120 (Wasn’t he at 106 last year?).

Looking forward to Bouzakis vs Church and Feldman vs Mullens.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 30, 2021

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"…

Welsh (172) The aforementioned Junior fell in the Quarters (Tough round) 6-3 to the 7 seed. He then went on to beat #1 seed and #1 at his weight Gabe Arnold in the wrestlebacks. Hope he gets 3rd tonight, very excited about this kid.

Happy New Year everyone."

To falter (relatively) early but still maintain composure - enough defeat Arnold - and get into the 3rd place match is noteworthy.

Strong crop of kids coming in. I hope they enjoy the rest of their seasons and keep it up in the future.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 30, 2021

HUGE TD in the last 15 seconds for Welsh!!!!! 3rd place finish after a tough QF loss.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on December 30, 2021

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"HUGE TD in the last 15 seconds for Welsh!!!!! 3rd place finish after a tough QF loss."

Welsh QF ran into a guy who was an excellent leg man, seemed to catch him off guard. He can get better in that position. I liked Kilkeary, but in his 2-1 loss he put his opponent on his back but the ref called it out of bounds even with his one foot still on the mat. Is it different in HS than college? I liked his high energy level though. Are Welsh and Kilkeary underclass men? I'll say this about the Pa. kids, they can ride. BTW did you notice Sammy Sasso has a younger brother named Sonny who won Beast of the East at 195 lbs? I think he is undefeated and is a junior, and like a foot taller than his older brother. When I saw Nic Bouzakis and younger brother win at 126 I thought of Logan & Hunter.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 30, 2021

We can talk all day about rankings but the studs of this class are Bouzakis and Feldman. Jesse Mendez is also very good. so I think.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 1, 2022

I prefer to not have a coach mic'd up, but here is Feldman's finals match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9MPNqbW4Jg

► Add to the Discussion