Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Graham vs. Saint Edward dual January 8th 2022
Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 5, 2022

Top 2 teams battle it out in Lakewood this Saturday. There is always shifting around of lineups on both sides for this dual but i'll attempt a prediction based on the the starters for each weight:

106. B. Jordan vs. Butler- SPG tech 5-0 Graham
113. Tucker vs. Richer- SPG dec 8-0 Graham
120. Ryan vs. Brown- Eds dec 8-3 Graham
126. Koler vs. Bennett- Eds maj. 8-7 SPG
132. Morris vs. Goldberg/Androsik- Eds maj. 8-11 St. Eds
138. Hughes vs. Eaton- Eds pin 8-17 St. Eds
144. Gessler vs. Hopkins- SPG pin 14-17 St. Eds
150. Jacks vs. Ty Miller- Eds dec 14-20 Eds
157. Crumblett vs. J. Miller SPG dec 17-20 St. Eds
165. James vs. Bennett- Eds maj. 17-24 St. Eds
170. Burroughs vs. Geog- Eds tech 17-29 St. Eds
190. Lykins vs. Slaper- Eds dec 17-32 St. Eds
215. C. Neves vs. Delsanter SPG pin 23-32 St. Eds
285. N. Neves vs. Robinson/Kilbane- SPG pin 29-32

I have the final score 32-29 in favor of Saint Eds.

Probably way off here but should be a great dual! Hoping Androsik & Kilbane get the nod for the Eagles.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 7, 2022

SPG will not be making the trip to Lakewood due to COVID.

As of now, Eds and Milan Edison is still on for Saturday, don't know enough about their lineup to make predictions but I know they are a very tough D3 team.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 7, 2022

I've noticed that over the last 4 or 5 years St. Edward's standing at the Ironman has slipped lower and lower. Is that due to the school deciding to deemphasize wresting or do you think it is for some other reason?

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 7, 2022

Saint Ed's aren't bringing in every wrestler from the area anymore; It's much more spread out. I think it began 10 or so years ago when Jerome Robinson & Dave Habat decided to attend St. Ignatius.

I also believe schools like Blair and Wyoming Seminary are recruiting harder than ever. When there are a few teams so stacked 106-285 it makes for an even more difficult playing field at tournaments like Ironman (Let alone the tournament aims to bring in several top teams from across the country). These teams were good for the last 10-15 years, but the way they are bringing in kids from across the country these days turns it into a whole new ballgame.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 7, 2022

NE Ohio was arguably the toughest wrestling region in the country for most of the history of high school wrestling in the USA. Only Western PA can make a claim to have been as good/better. It's now a shell of itself. St Eds is suffering because the talent isn't there.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 7, 2022

The greater Cleveland area has lost as many as 300,000 people over the last 20 years. A decline of some sort was bound to happen.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 7, 2022

Straight from @BobP

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"right Hank, almost no one has any depth nowadays, consequently not many good dual meet teams in Ohio--- its different than what was 20 and 30 years ago esp in Cleveland area, i've said this for years. (Of course Cuyahoga County population is down 1/3 since 1970, too.) --its a problem in Pennsylvania too.

maybe the sport is too tough, to be good have to wrestle over 1/2 year, not just seasonal ?? maybe its cultural , the way kids & parents think nowadays ?? After all even high school FOOTBALL numbers are down nationally."

Find that quote and more here: http://ohiowrestling.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1450&highlight=population

Mark, can we suggest a book for you? ;-)

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 10, 2022

yes, talent in Greater Cleveland way down. Did we have a college D1 AA from GC last season, or the 2019 season? Not 100% positive but i think maybe not.

Big reason is decline of YMCA and Catholic Youth Org teams. Which in turn measures parental interest and numbers of kids wanting to participate. And population loss.

it is culture too, Cleveland was once a haven for tough immigrants (many Italian, Irish & Eastern European) willing to do hard work and their sons/grandsons.

The man, Mike Milkovich once told me in an interview, "I failed a grade, i did not speak English. My parents were from Croatia. We did not have enough to eat."

Theres a reason why the Mentor Meatgrinder was the toughest tournament for its size anywhere until the Ironman came along.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 11, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"NE Ohio was arguably the toughest wrestling region in the country for most of the history of high school wrestling in the USA. Only Western PA can make a claim to have been as good/better. It's now a shell of itself. St Eds is suffering because the talent isn't there."

Western PA or Eastern? Genuinely asking. I thought that Lehigh Valley corridor was like the Fertile Crescent for wrestling.

► Add to the Discussion