Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: tOSU vs MSU 1/8
Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 8, 2022

Big Ten opener. 5pm @ MSU on Big Ten Plus. Spartans look to be favorites at 133, 157, and 197. Bucks should roll in this one. The lineup projections still show Betancourt (133), Reeves (141), and Hubbard (157). Curious if they stick with that. My how things have changed at 141. We went from the deepest room in the country to a potential 4th string starter. One other thing of note, if by chance they are even remotely considering pulling Paddy’s redshirt, this would be the place to do it. Good but not great opponent, first second semester competition, he’s either ready to go, or ready to be kept shelved.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on January 8, 2022

Pulling Paddy's shirt would be a terrible decision, and, no, I don't think it's being considered. Besides, I want to see more of Hubbard. He can wrestle.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on January 8, 2022

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Pulling Paddy's shirt would be a terrible decision, and, no, I don't think it's being considered. Besides, I want to see more of Hubbard. He can wrestle."

This. What's going on with D'Emilio?

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 8, 2022

Not a terrible tuneup before a showdown with the Wolverines next week. Like Scott, and the rest of us, I’m not sure what’s up with D’Emilio. I thought most of the lineup performed as expected. Definitely concerned about Karchla being potentially dinged up. Not much that can be done about that, but it’s always been the concern. Hopefully it’s nothing. I thought Hubbard had a shot, outside of one sequence, to win that match.
The next couple of weeks are going to be a grind. Let’s hope the Bucks make some noise and emerge healthy.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 8, 2022

And I thought Hubbard caught a break when he got a no call on his double leg that the MSU kid under hooked and turned him, similar to what O'conner did to him. I thought it was 2 TD + 2 backs. Hepner is sort of the same kind of wrestler. Looks great at times but gets caught out of position some times. We'll see what TR does at 157 vs Mich.
BTW, Smith really wrestles with an attitude. Even when he wrestled Mehki Lewis he was in his face yelling at him at one point in the match. He doesn't back down from anyone, I like that.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 8, 2022

BTW, who was running the scoreboard at the meet? Whoever you are, don't give up your day job.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 9, 2022

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"And I thought Hubbard caught a break when he got a no call on his double leg that the MSU kid under hooked and turned him, similar to what O'conner did to him. I thought it was 2 TD + 2 backs. Hepner is sort of the same kind of wrestler. Looks great at times but gets caught out of position some times. We'll see what TR does at 157 vs Mich.
BTW, Smith really wrestles with an attitude. Even when he wrestled Mehki Lewis he was in his face yelling at him at one point in the match. He doesn't back down from anyone, I like that."

Hubbard has a lot of upside. However, it looked like he gave up at least 2 and 2 but I have no idea when time ran out. I'd stick with Hubbard at 157.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on January 9, 2022

Is there a chance that Rocky is the new guy at 197, or was this just for the MSU dual since Orndorf was out?

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 9, 2022

It seems like Hoffman not making weight might put him in Ryan's doghouse for a bit. Rocky still had his usual issues during his match with Caffey. Got in on a single leg repeatedly but just stopped there and also was not able to get out on bottom.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on January 9, 2022

Do we know that Hoffman missed weight? Seems more likely Tate couldn’t go and Hoffman bumped up to 285 to replace him. Otherwise, why bench Tate for Hoffman?

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 9, 2022

I’m of the mindset that he was weighing in at 198 on purpose. This allows him to stay within his weight ascension plan for 197 this week. My guess is that Tate is either sick or banged up, and rather than blowing a redshirt for the MSU dual they figured they could still get the win with Hoffman against an undersized 285. Plus you have a serviceable back up with Rocky.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 10, 2022

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"It seems like Hoffman not making weight might put him in Ryan's doghouse for a bit. Rocky still had his usual issues during his match with Caffey. Got in on a single leg repeatedly but just stopped there and also was not able to get out on bottom."

Hoffman was purposely weighing in at 198 so he could wrestle 285 without repercussions. He wrestled a nice match.

► Add to the Discussion