Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: 2022 Districts
Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 3, 2022

Figured I would get some high school chatter going with districts starting up this weekend. Any major match upsets, news, or misc can be started here. I'll focus mainly on D.1 since I have little knowledge about D2/3.

The Perrysburg district is a powerhouse with state #1 and #2 Eds/Perrysburg together. I know St. Eds won the state duals, but Perrysburg looks to have more projected champs coming out. Could get interesting.

I also think Brecksville has a chance to make some noise at a relatively easy Hoover district. Guys like Stanley, Vanadia bros, Jett will need to on their game to challenge for a state title. it all starts tomorrow.

Overall, I am looking forward to some great matchups this weekend and next with what looks to be an exciting team race as well.

I'm looking forward to relaxing all weekend following districts and B10's.

I know Baumspage will update brackets (they do a pretty good job staying on top of it) Any idea if there is video stream for any of the district sites?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

Sorry to sound like an old crotchety complainer but I'm astonished at the weakness in some districts. Shaker is at Perrysburg. After the quarterfinals there are 8 teams that haven't scored a point. There are several more with 4 or less. That means more than 25% of the teams at this district are terrible. Several teams like Shaker with a few solid wrestlers are hovering a bit above ten points. This is a district and at least half the teams are weak.

In my day...
You got to Mentor and you were almost always good. Solid wrestlers often went 0-2 or 1-2. The quarterfinal matchups were often preludes to state placement matches.

Ohio has some outstanding programs but the "middle class" has gotten much worse. And the "poor" have grown.

I don't think we are even a top 5 state nationally at this point.

As the cliche goes, "it is what it is."

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

Hank - that depends in what metrics you’re using. Top end talent we still are. Depth may be a question. I’ve watched three other stye tournaments and same problems there.

The states with only 1 class mask those issues — split them into 2 and 3 classes and you’d see the same.

In other news — only three girls, to my knowledge, made it to Day 2 at districts.

My wrestler Makayla Young, Chloe Dearwester (Harrison) and Makennah Craft (Jackson).

Girl’s wrestling is jumping levels in Ohio.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

Hank, I get what you're saying but I'm just happy to see teams fielding wrestlers, even if they aren't full teams. I think this speaks about very weak sectionals. Maybe cut down on the number of sectional sites in the upcoming years?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

Hey Cruiser96 -- aka Mark -- you have any big news?

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

I have to just give a little shout out to my hometown team the St.Marys Roughriders. They have 3 brothers, 2 seniors and 1 frosh and all 3 qualified for state. This is our first ever freshman state qualifier and the future is very bright for him. HE was 38-1 coming into the tournament and finished 3rd. We also had 1 other qualifier, i believe 4 is 2 more than we have had in 1 year previously. Awesome year.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

Shumate goes down to Camden McDaniel in OT. McDaniel will be a very good D1 wrestler, but Shumate continues to show that he has plateaued, at least in my opinion.
Another surprise was the hammering that Ayoub put on the Cernus kid in the semi finals. If you haven’t been following. I believe Cernus has signed with Kolat at Navy. He’s had stops at Culver in Indiana and most recently at Wyoming Seminary (at least that’s what I was informed of, please correct if inaccurate). Could be a likely state final at 126.

Jeff Fortman added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

I wasn't really aware of Shumate, looks like he had a few losses going into districts. I was impressed his first 3 wins were all pins in less than a minute.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

The Ayoub/Cernus match was outstanding. Not sure what you mean by "hammering", but it was a well wrestled match on both sides, and could be a preview of next Sunday night.

Shumate is a monster, but so is McDanal. McDanal was a junior national finalist last summer. That could also be a preview of the state final.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 5, 2022

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"The Ayoub/Cernus match was outstanding. Not sure what you mean by "hammering", but it was a well wrestled match on both sides, and could be a preview of next Sunday night.

Shumate is a monster, but so is McDanal. McDanal was a junior national finalist last summer. That could also be a preview of the state final."

Hammering was the wrong descriptor.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Hey Cruiser96 -- aka Mark -- you have any big news?"

Li’l Cruiser indeed qualified for the state tournament! A first round loss sent me spiraling into places I didn’t want to go. I hid a couple of times, buried my head, and wept. It was uncontrollable and would sneak up on me. I felt the boy could qualify for the state tournament given his level and the field’s level. But an early round loss makes it difficult. (I think the tears stemmed from the possibility of the untapped & unknown ability, and thus the forever wondering of “what might have been”.)

His second match on the back side was against the kid he lost to in the sectional finals. I knew it would be a hard-fought battle; one with such an uncertain end. The result proved this as the boy won 3-1 in sudden victory.

Consolation quarterfinals had him against a streaking, red-hot wrestler who had a couple pins already. Kid has a cradle for sure! We fought off one attempt, got one of our own, and secured the fall.

Next up: the go-to match! Opponent was game - most def! But he was a kid who we hadn’t seen in two years; a kid who went 2-2 at the district tournament last year, where we went 1-2. The boy went for a FHL, lost position for a second, opponent popped his head up, and my son rode that momentum for a chin-whip. Worked it to a half-nelson and the fall!

Incredible feeling. Glad to be able to share these stories rather than another, less-thrilling version.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Hey Cruiser96 -- aka Mark -- you have any big news?"

Li’l Cruiser indeed qualified for the state tournament! A first round loss sent me spiraling into places I didn’t want to go. I hid a couple of times, buried my head, and wept. It was uncontrollable and would sneak up on me. I felt the boy could qualify for the state tournament given his level and the field’s level. But an early round loss makes it difficult. (I think the tears stemmed from the possibility of the untapped & unknown ability, and thus the forever wondering of “what might have been”.)

His second match on the back side was against the kid he lost to in the sectional finals. I knew it would be a hard-fought battle; one with such an uncertain end. The result proved this as the boy won 3-1 in sudden victory.

Consolation quarterfinals had him against a streaking, red-hot wrestler who had a couple pins already. Kid has a cradle for sure! We fought off one attempt, got one of our own, and secured the fall.

Next up: the go-to match! Opponent was game - most def! But he was a kid who we hadn’t seen in two years; a kid who went 2-2 at the district tournament last year, where we went 1-2. The boy went for a FHL, lost position for a second, opponent popped his head up, and my son rode that momentum for a chin-whip. Worked it to a half-nelson and the fall!

Incredible feeling. Glad to be able to share these stories rather than another, less-thrilling version."

This is fantastic! You have to be overjoyed for your son. Please keep us updated on how he does at State(s).
#TheMightCruiser2.0 #TMC2.0

Doug Gainous added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Great story Mark. Thanks for sharing

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 6, 2022

Your wife must have great genes! ;)

Congrats. Awesome story and I'm thrilled for your son

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 9, 2022

Good point about Shumate, Jared! He has been in decline the last two years. As a sophomore, he was ranked #1 in the nation and beat Feldman head to head at the Ironman. Ever since then, the results have been less and less. Coming in 4th at the Ironman and second at his District have to be concerning.

I hope the Buckeyes are seriously looking at recruiting some top talent for 197. It could be a pretty big hole in the lineup after Hoffman graduates (next year?).

► Add to the Discussion