Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Sprint at the end
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 7, 2022

Hats off to Max Murin in his match with Yahya. Broke him in the last ten seconds after an amplified pace. You really do mess with someone's head when you do that to them. That willingness to make yourself so uncomfortable that the wrestler across from you gets overwhelmed is a nasty but wonderful part of the sport. It's wonderful in that a guy can push himself that hard in the pursuit of winning. Ugly to see a guy mentally break like that.

Last year, Warner from Iowa was thrown to his back in the first round but came back because he sprinted. He held a pace which his opponent was not able to accommodate.

I did it in the Big Ten finals my junior year in OT. Rather than trying to be cagy. Maybe I sensed the fatigue in my opponent. Maybe I just I knew I had it in me. Don't know for sure now. At the whistle, I shot, came up in a bear hug and transitioned into an inside trip for a finish on the edge.

It'll happen again this year. It'll be the difference maker in someone's performance and mean the difference between advancement and consolation or the year being over.

It's got to be part of your wrestling and it takes courage. Balls. Guts. Whatever you want to call it that has meaning to you.

So, hats off to the guys that sprint at the end and win because they are willing to endure real discomfort.

Props to Ethan Smith for his win over Labriola as well.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 8, 2022

Great points.

On the topic of great sprints, there isn't a wrestler in the country that is more fun to watch than RBY when he HAS to score. He can turn it up to a level that guys just can't hang with.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 8, 2022

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"Great points.

On the topic of great sprints, there isn't a wrestler in the country that is more fun to watch than RBY when he HAS to score. He can turn it up to a level that guys just can't hang with."

I don't know about that. If you are stupid enough (like me) to look at the Iowa forums once in a while, all RBY does is stall.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 9, 2022

"I don't know about that. If you are stupid enough (like me) to look at the Iowa forums once in a while, all RBY does is stall."

When I was coaching and had a lousy wrestler on the mat, I tended to carp more at the refs. One ref said to me after the match--"Your issue isn't with me. Your kid just isn't good enough." He was right. Similar issue with fan bases screaming for stall calls.

► Add to the Discussion