Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: State Tournament Change Ideas
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 15, 2022

My list:

I: 2 Championship rounds on day 1 -- for two reasons: (1) Person in championship quarters shouldn't be at a disadvantage when dropping to the consolation bracket. Under the current tournament structure (OH State Tournament is only tournament on the planet that does this to my knowledge) the consolation rd 1 winner from evening of day 1 gets to watch the quarterfinals and scout the "loser" of that match who they will wrestle about 120 minutes later. and (2) 0 kids would be eliminated on day 1 as opposed to 156. That's 156 sets of parents returning on day 2 - which means more $ for parking, concessions, etc.

II: All awards given after the 285 pound match. The awards in-between kill the atmosphere and crowd size. By the time 157 hit, the crowd was 50% of initial size and when 215 wrestled, I'd bet it was <20% of initial size. Those guys should wrestle infront of the big crowd also. It would also get the wrestling fan not associated with anybody there out in WAY less than 4 hours. We left immediately after last 285 pound match. It was 9:17PM. Almost a 4 hr round. On a Sunday night.

III: Move back to Thurs to Sun. I know this is an issue with tOSU -- but the Sunday finals crowd seemed smaller than past finals -- and it was on the Spring forward day. Monday at work was a drag.

IV: Bring the Girl's State tournament to the Schott at the same times as the boys. Start the tournament at noon or 1PM on day 1. The Girl's deserve to wrestle in the same venue. I don't think it'll happen but still on my wish list.

I love the production value of the finals. The parade, the stage (and the sounds associated with it), the fireworks, the whole works. OHSAA does a great job with that. I'm just brainstorming for ways to make it even better - for competitors and fans.

Thoughts?

Other ideas?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 16, 2022

Permit Girl Scouts to sell cookies on each mezzanine.

I’d easily wipe out a sleeve of Thin Mints each round.

#ZeroDarkThirtyThoughts #MightyCruiserTrained

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 16, 2022

I agree about the awards. Have the winner stay matside after they win and make the announcement about them being schools 1st champ then or whatever it is.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 16, 2022

I agree about the awards. Have the winner stay matside after they win and make the announcement about them being schools 1st champ then or whatever it is.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on March 16, 2022

Thursday-Saturday format was great. Hope they decide to bring this back first and foremost.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 16, 2022

Tag-Alongs. Periodt.

It's funny to me that the state association stated that the reason for the move from Th-Sat to Fri-Sun was a scheduling conflict with girls basketball.

However, over the last two years (when the Schott was not the host of the event), girls (and boys) basketball state events have moved to Dayton. My point - the expressed reason for shifting wrestling is no longer valid, thus the event should return to Th-Sat.

...unless, of course, the given reason was just an easy scapegoat for a the move, not thinking that the event would/could move locations, and now that is has a) the state ossociatoin is left scrambling or b) will come up with a new, more iron-clad reason.

In the end, the shift sucks, for sure. But even then, the state tournament for wrestling should be the last Thursday, Friday, Saturday in February. Periodt.

ps: Daylight Savings Time may no longer be an issue if the House approves the upcoming bill. (Example #1010 of why I will ***NEVER*** vote FOR a sitting member of congress. Periodt.)

► Add to the Discussion