Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Make wrestling a better product.
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 23, 2022

Some really good ideas here on changing wrestling. I'd like to make a new thread which addresses how to positively impact wrestling and make a better product. It seems like we always revisit this topic and it warrants a thread which is easily searchable. If you have an idea, please enumerate it. Give your opinion as well. But by enumerating, one can read ideas rather than opinions.

1. 1st period 3 minutes neutral, 2nd period 2 minutes split into 1 minute top/bottom/neutral choice, 3rd period 2 minutes neutral. Riding time if you acquire 1 minute in the second period, otherwise there is no reward.

I think you could hold a tournament at the beginning of the year and explain the experimental format. See the results and decide what is good/bad and make changes based on feedback. But, the end goal is to make a better more watchable, interesting, less gameable product.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 23, 2022

Rex: I love your idea but would suggest we divide matches into two three minute periods. Neutral for the first. 2nd period is subdivided into 2 x 1.5 minutes. Each man has a choice. No riding time point. Point for a full period ride out.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on March 23, 2022

Widen the point gap between a takedown and an escape. Options include three points for a takedown and one point for an escape or, my preference, two points for a takedown and no points for an escape.

Tired of Wrestler A dominating the first period with two takedowns but leading only 4-2. Scoring a takedown is hard. Most escapes are not.

The 4-point nearfall was a nice change. Now address the takedown-escape scoring ratio.

Discontinue giving a wrestler choice of top, bottom or neutral after his opponent takes injury time. Penalizing someone for getting hurt is almost barbaric. I understand the reason for the change; injury time was getting abused in order to take a breather. But it’s just too punitive.

In a tournament setting, challenges get allocated not to teams but to individual wrestlers. A wrestler should be guaranteed a certain number of opportunities to challenge a call and not be limited because a teammate failed in his challenge. This necessarily would benefit upperweights who take the mat later than their teammates.

Get rid of the headgear as mandatory.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on March 23, 2022

Still trying to wrap my head around whether I actually want to remove riding time and implement a pushout rule. Will circle back to that.

If riding time remains, I'd at least like to see these small changes:

(1) Remove 30/30 OT rideouts.

(2) Hooking an ankle with your leg from the top position is stalling. Add it to the 5 second criteria.

(3) Repeating the same stall ride from the top position is an automatic stall call (e.g. picking up the outside ankle upon an attempted stand up)

My gut tells me that if the majority of proposed changes out there are centered around limiting what currently constitutes "top wrestling," the problem is deeper than a couple of rule tweaks and might warrant a more radical change.

William Danforth added to this discussion on March 23, 2022

Adam Tirapelle has some interesting points.

You do not have to be a Rokfin subscriber to view the video.
https://rokfin.com/post/79394

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

I watched it.

Opinion; Wrestlers need to be rewarded when wrestling, not gaming. I gamed the system myself and knew how to do it. Riding time to me, meant I get a point and wear my opponent down.

After sleeping on it, this would qualify as a rough draft,

First period, 3 minutes gives each wrestler enough of an opportunity to score from their feet.

As of now, if score, you are immediately rewarded for accruing riding time and preventing the bottom man from scoring an escape. If you take away riding time from the first stanza, you take some of that motivation away.

If you make a takedown 3 and an escape 1; you have deemphasized the importance of the escape as it worth less and margin of 3-1 is > than 2-1. If the top man rides for 20 seconds with no improvement by bottom man, then they are both stood up with no escape awarded. Bottom man needs to get to work right away otherwise that point is off the table. Same thing for top man, he has to be very active to stop the escape.

Second period, 2 minutes; each man given an opportunity for top, bottom and/or neutral. Rule change, no hooking leg or ankle ride. If bottom escapes, it's 1. I'm still working through the gaming of opponent drops to a single leg scenario and intentional stalemating. This is avoidable if you stand up with hand control, which is still something of which wrestlers do a poor job. If you ride the opponent for 1 minute you are given a point.

Third period, 2 minutes, back on your feet, giving the best conditioned athlete a chance to pick up the pace. No riding time available in this stanza.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

While I am all about ideas to improve the product, I have to say that this seems like an administrative nightmare.

John Ice added to this discussion on March 24, 2022

No riding time without back points!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 25, 2022

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"While I am all about ideas to improve the product, I have to say that this seems like an administrative nightmare."

Agreed. The K.I.S.S. rule applies here. I hope to return with more input. Gotta run!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 25, 2022

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Agreed. The K.I.S.S. rule applies here. I hope to return with more input. Gotta run!"

With that in mind, why not just switch to Freestyle?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 25, 2022

I think there's a world of difference between a hard double leg where you drive through your opponent and lift him in the air vs countering a shot, crossfacing and spinning behind. Make successful leg attacks with lift and/or back exposure worth 3. Same for throws/headlocks/inside trips. Make short offense takedowns only 2 points.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on March 25, 2022

I just want the step out rule and tighten up the stalling calls. It used to be you could barely take a step back in the 3rd period with the lead, now they run all over the place, especially for the last 20 seconds.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 25, 2022

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"I just want the step out rule and tighten up the stalling calls. It used to be you could barely take a step back in the 3rd period with the lead, now they run all over the place, especially for the last 20 seconds."

Freestyle fixes this too.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 25, 2022

Calling stalling properly probably fixes 99% of the problems.

Change “Riding Time” to “Turning Time”. No NFs earned, no additional point.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 25, 2022

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Calling stalling properly probably fixes 99% of the problems.."

In a thousand years, that won't happen. People, being people, will always disagree on what stalling is. It is always the other guy, not my guy.
I have long maintained that you could put 20 coaches in a room and they would disagree with one another over what "stalling" really is.

That said, I do not understand what I see NCAA officials call (or not call).
Sprawling in the middle of the mat to avoid being taken down?? Not in my book.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next