Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Opinion-Rank/Prioritize order of importance Collegiate events for tOSU
Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 7, 2022

NCAAs top 10, top 4, Big Tens top 3, Dual meet record 90% winning%, CKLV top 2, NWCA Academic Team, tOSU beating UM, Having 1 NCAA champ on your team, Having a Freshman AA on your team, Having 4 or more AA on your team, No one getting arrested.

Just looking to spark some discussions and see if we mostly agree.

Last edited by Rex Holman on April 7, 2022; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Opinion-Rank/Prioritize order of importance Collegiate events for tOSU
Alex Creech added to this discussion on April 7, 2022

Are we to use your categories or make our own. Using yours it would be :

NCAAs, Big Tens, Having 4 or more AA on your team, Having 1 NCAA champ on your team, NWCA Academic Team, No one getting arrested, CKLV, Dual meet record, tOSU beating UM, Having a Freshman AA on your team.

Last edited by Alex Creech on April 7, 2022; edited 1 time in total

It's a work in progress as I started with the idea before fully putting parameters on it.

1. Top 4 NCAA
2. NCAA Champion
3. NWCA Academic
4. Top 3 Big Ten
5. 4 AA
6. Top 10 NCAA
7. Freshman AA
8. No one getting arrested
9. tOSU beating UM
10.90 % winning dual

Obviously, these things are not mutually exclusive, but excellence in some things matter more than others.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2022

Slightly off topic but I'm betting most of you care more about beating PSU or Iowa than Michigan.

I care most about NCAA tourney performance but watching Rocky and Hoffman win back to back against Rutgers to eke out a dual win was a dmn fine moment.

1 NCAA Champ for a team is a great accomplishment, 2 means something better. 3 is amazing. 4 is better than amazing and 5 is half of the weights contested.

The thing is guys can be great at 19 years. We know this from World teams made and past World Champions. You can own enough wrestling and be competent enough to win Championships if given enough direction and support early on. It's not about paying your dues. It's about surgically addressing the areas of your game to hasten improvement. How many seasons have I watched guys do the same stuff different day, it's about establishing best practice. The days of just keep working until you figure it out is so stupid. I grew up under that guise of coaching and it needs to go away. You want champs, then there is no enabling weak position or mental breakdown. Practice needs to be conditioning of greatness. PSU gets this. They get the cream and then those capable rise up.

Hank-
I agree with that being a great moment. A lot of boxes to check and you want to make the opportunities for guys that contribute in other ways.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2022

"The days of just keep working until you figure it out is so stupid. I grew up under that guise of coaching and it needs to go away. You want champs, then there is no enabling weak position or mental breakdown. Practice needs to be conditioning of greatness. PSU gets this."

Moneyball might be the finest film about sport ever made. And it all boils down to the scene where it's obvious the scouts don't understand analytics nor do they want to even try. We, the audience, are aware this concept represents a sea change in professional sport. Yet Billy Beane and Paul DePodesta are met with fierce resistance.

The sport of wrestling has far too many old school baseball scouts in its ranks.

"An ugly girlfriend means no confidence." -old scout

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=moneyball+ugly+girlfriend+quote&qs=n&=%25eManage+Your+Search+History%25E&sp=-1&pq=moneyball+ugly+girlfriend+quote&sc=1-31&sk=&cvid=4D544C8944214C5D80EF47651295393D&sid=21DB9792463F6FD71E9B86ED47976E7E&jsoncbid=0&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dmoneyball%2520ugly%2520girlfriend%2520quote%26qs%3dn%26form%3dQBRE%26%3d%2525eManage%2520Your%2520Search%2520History%2525E%26sp%3d-1%26pq%3dmoneyball%2520ugly%2520girlfriend%2520quote%26sc%3d1-31%26sk%3d%26cvid%3d4D544C8944214C5D80EF47651295393D%26sid%3d21DB9792463F6FD71E9B86ED47976E7E%26format%3dsnrjson%26jsoncbid%3d0&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=EA2C9E7546476DB5B24DEA2C9E7546476DB5B24D&FORM=WRVORC

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on April 8, 2022

1) NCAA Top 4
2) NCAA Champ on Team
3) 4 or more AA
4) Freshman AA
5) NCAA Top 10
6) Big Tens Top 3
7) NWCA Academic Team
8) Freshman AA
9) Dual meet record 90%
10) Beat UM

I left off the arrests thing as I think it belongs in a different category. If I thought there was a serious character issue with the team (leading to arrests), that would obviously vault to #1 in terms of importance.

I suspect I would care more about the dual record if I could attend more in person. Also, if UM rattles off a few more wins in a row that particular matchup might start to creep up the list.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on April 8, 2022

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"1) NCAA Top 4
2) NCAA Champ on Team
3) 4 or more AA
4) Freshman AA
5) NCAA Top 10
6) Big Tens Top 3
7) NWCA Academic Team
8) Freshman AA
9) Dual meet record 90%
10) Beat UM
"

Brian -
You can’t rank the same item twice. (See #s 4 and 8.)
That’s worse than having an ugly girlfriend.
So sorry, your vote is disqualified. ;)

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 8, 2022

Quote from Casey Talbott's post:

"

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"1) NCAA Top 4
2) NCAA Champ on Team
3) 4 or more AA
4) Freshman AA
5) NCAA Top 10
6) Big Tens Top 3
7) NWCA Academic Team
8) Freshman AA
9) Dual meet record 90%
10) Beat UM
"

Brian -
You can’t rank the same item twice. (See #s 4 and 8.)
That’s worse than having an ugly girlfriend.
So sorry, your vote is disqualified. ;)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EqFVWzOfN8

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on April 8, 2022

^^^ LOL…

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on April 9, 2022

Important tOSU wrestler events
1. making weight
2. the meal after making weight
3. the pretty girl congratulating you after a win
4. ???

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 10, 2022

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EqFVWzOfN8"

Well Played.

....I took my chances and went against this advice. :)

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next