Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Sonny Sasso
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 23, 2022

I've watched some video from his PA state matches this year and he's a lot of fun to watch. Great counter wrestler (duh), tough on top, crafty with his finishes. He's very long and not quite as polished as the stud recruits of this season. But his potential seems unlimited especially when you look at the success long wrestlers like Keegan Mueller and Dean Hamiti and the Cal Poly kid are having.

Only issue I see is that he projects as a 197 and you've already got Shumate. And you grow this kid. You don't suck him down. So 184 doesn't make sense.

We'll see if he commits.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 23, 2022

Dano already booked em. Sounds like a lock. Shumate is not the future at 197. I just don’t see it. I have mentioned it before whether it’s burnouts or injuries he just isn’t that level at which he won’t be over recruited. Sonny is the better prospect imo. I would be very surprised if Shumate ever was an all American wrestler. Much would rather pick up a guy who seems to be improving every year than slowing down

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 23, 2022

Shumate is ranked 16 at 195 in the high school rankings. Slowly declining for years in all rankings. Didn’t win a district title his senior year. I would actually be surprised if he actually made the lineup at Ohio state period any year. If he does it will be an obvious hole. Think people are just too high on him

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on June 23, 2022

Say what you will about Shumate, but any ranking that has him 16th in his weight is ridiculous. He’s pretty tough.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 23, 2022

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Say what you will about Shumate, but any ranking that has him 16th in his weight is ridiculous. He’s pretty tough."

He had an incredible sophomore season and has merely been outstanding ever since. Did he peak early? I don't think so. I just think others got better. I do think he's an excellent prospect.

But Sonny Sasso's potential runs deep. Good potential problem for the Bucks.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on June 24, 2022

This is not meant as a pro or con regarding any prior comments. Every once in a while posts like these remind me of just how far Buckeye wrestling has come: debating whether or not not one excellent recruit will fill a weight close over another excellent recruit.

I remember gaping holes in weight classes for the Buckeyes pre-Tom. Yes, we once in a while get 33 and 57 like last year but not often.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 24, 2022

Roe: No question. And with the transfer portal and NIL, a wrestler with ability can easily make his way elsewhere if he's stuck in a tough spot.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on June 24, 2022

Sasso has a ton of upside. He also appears to possess that same grittiness that his brother has, which I’ll take over other qualities all day. Body size wise he is a more suitable candidate for 197 in that he has the frame.
I’m not writing Shumate off. Look at the kids “hit list”. Show me someone else with a win over Nick Feldman……. Seth is compact, explosive, and has a high attack rate. When he loses matches it nearly always comes from over aggressiveness. That can be fixed. I do think he is better suited for 184 with his height. He’s one of the moe dominant upper weights in Ohio in the last quarter century. His loses have been to the elite of the elite in close matches. Fishback and the Oklahoma kid were off of one sequence of events. His loss to the Teays Valley kid in the district finals was a close one as well, and was avenged the next week. The TV kid is another nationally ranked foe. He’s not losing to chumps, let’s put it that way.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 24, 2022

I believe the 184 spot will be Geog’s once Romero is gone. And I think Geog will be an absolute stud there. Way under rated in my view. Tom Ryan went on record to say he was the best 182 pounder in the country and I agree. Other than Ironman ( where it was said he had like a 102 fever and still competed) his was beating highly ranked guys pretty easily. Tom Ryan compares him to Heflin and Romero saying that Geog the higher he goes up in weight the better it is for him because he can add the muscle and still keep the elite quickness and athleticism that others in the weight class will have a hard time dealing with.

Don Bork added to this discussion on June 24, 2022

Having three quality kids competing for two spots is ideal and where this program needs to be in order to compete for a trophy year in and year out. And as Hank said, with the changes that have taken place with regard to NIL and transfers, all three will have ample opportunity to compete here or elsewhere.

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 24, 2022

Keep in mind Sonny Sasso is a two-sport athlete (and a pretty damn good QB). Splitting his year has certainly had an impact on his perception on a national level, and probably led to slightly slower development.

In the past 18 months he went from an unheralded prospect with a familiar name to a legit top 30 big board guy with serious upside.

Contrast that with Shumate, who over the past couple years went from a top 10 recruit to a guy ranked outside the top 10 in his own weight class.

That's not to disparage or write off Shumate. If he's good enough, he'll make the lineup. All of these guys should be in a great position to improve rapidly and prove themselves. There will inevitably be a few transfers, which is par for the course these days.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 24, 2022

So if Sasso becomes a Buck, how do these weights shake out?

174: Welsh, Geog
184: Geog, Shumate
197: Shumate, Sasso

And sophomore Kharchla could move up at some point.

As Roe mentioned, these are issues which we've rarely seen from a historical perspective.

And I'm sure some of you very smart guys will point out other variants I've missed.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on June 25, 2022

Geog has a better chance going 197 then 174. His 174 days are done

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on June 27, 2022

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"So if Sasso becomes a Buck, how do these weights shake out?

As Roe mentioned, these are issues which we've rarely seen from a historical perspective.

And I'm sure some of you very smart guys will point out other variants I've missed."

I'm not one of the "very smart guys," but I think you've got it.

Agree Kharchla could move up, but I also don't think he plans to use all of his eligibility. He said as much after NCAA's this year. I know it's an interview at the end of a long season, after a tough tournament, but it didn't seem emotional to me. Just matter of fact.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 27, 2022

Quote from Brian Mathews's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"So if Sasso becomes a Buck, how do these weights shake out?

And I'm sure some of you very smart guys will point out other variants I've missed."

I'm not one of the "very smart guys," but I think you've got it.

Agree Kharchla could move up, but I also don't think he plans to use all of his eligibility. He said as much after NCAA's this year. I know it's an interview at the end of a long season, after a tough tournament, but it didn't seem emotional to me. Just matter of fact."

Kind of had you pegged as one of the smart guys.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next