Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Fargo 2022
Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 20, 2022

Ries of Wadsworth wins 285 title.

Only 2 other 16U AAs. from NE Ohio. Are we not sending many or just slipping talent-wise?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 20, 2022

slipping i believe-- no more YMCA and CYO support for the sport up here though there are several good clubs. And there will always be St Eds & a few standout programs like Wadsworth and Brecksville & Elyria-- but not as many anymore.

and what Intel is building will separate Central Ohio from the rest of the state in prosperity & population. Although it is white collar and im not sure that the sons of computer geeks can replace the sons of steelworkers in wrestling and football?

(an investment of $20 to 100 billion dollars, r u kiding me?! hope the feds don't mess up the deal. ...8 to 20 manufacturing plants, i guess plenty of wrestlers & footballers will emerge. And teachers/coaches salaries will rise.)

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 20, 2022

I'm not sure the impact Intel will have on wrestling. However, while it's economic epicenter will be close to Columbus, it's a big enough operation that it will impact the entire state, methinks.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 20, 2022

We've discussed many times the slip in quality of NE Ohio wrestling and how it has impacted the state.

But we are also seeing standouts in places like Idaho and Kentucky due to exceptional club(s).

Where are the great clubs in Ohio? Are there any in the Northeast?

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on July 20, 2022

In Columbus Collin Palmer has a pretty good club. Using his club into a feeder to the DeSales program which he has rejuvenated. DeSales may be the team to beat now in division two next year that can finally knock off st Paris graham.

In Cleveland area I know Adam Koballa runs arsenal wrestling which I also believe is a pretty successful club.

Others in Columbus are Miron who has always been around and a newer one called persuit wrestling which i think is just a couple years old and Tom Ryan’s son and others are involved in.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 22, 2022

Team Ohio appeared to have the most success at the 16u boys level walking off with three champs. Marcus Blaze was the talk of the tournament as the Perrysburg rising sophomore knocked off formidable opponent after opponent on his way to winning the toughest weight of any bracket and any division. He also took home the outstanding wrestler award. In case we weren’t already aware, Blaze just put his stamp on being the next big Ohio recruit, and he has three years remaining.
Wadworth’s Aaron Reis took home a title at heavy and Jarell Miller too a title at 170. I know next to nothing about both guys, but impressive feats to say the least. I believe the 16u boys had 11 AAs on their way to a third place finish.
The ladies had one champ at 200lbs and two other AAs. While the Juniors had no champs and finished 9th. Copley light weight Javon Yarbrough was a finalist as was Dublin Coffman’s Ayoub at 138. His brother Omar was sixth at 132. Wadsworth had another AA as Jaxon Joy was 7th. Central Ohio continued bring home some hardware as state finalist McDaniel was 6th at 195, and 2x champ Russo from Liberty wrestled all the way back from an earlier loss to take 5th.
I think one of the points that was brought up on Flo, as it pertains to Ohio’s perceived fall off, was that states like Iowa and Illinois historically do a great job of getting their seniors to attend. Most of Ohio’s seniors do not.
In other Ohio related news…future Buckeyes Kilkeary (7th) and Welsch (2nd) AA’d as did Vince Bousakis (2nd), brother to Nick

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 28, 2022

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"
and what Intel is building will separate Central Ohio from the rest of the state in prosperity & population. Although it is white collar and im not sure that the sons of computer geeks can replace the sons of steelworkers in wrestling and football?

(an investment of $20 to 100 billion dollars, r u kiding me?! hope the feds don't mess up the deal. ...8 to 20 manufacturing plants, )"

well, somehow it happened, the Semiconductor Chips Act got thru Senate and will certainly get thru Congress and be signed maybe this week. No more Intel to Germany, no more at mercy of China, no more Taiwan for most of chips we depend on.

Its new day for Central Ohio-- ohio too somewhat-- but esp C. Ohio is a new economic powerhouse. ....we will find out if sons of computer Geeks can replace sons od auto and steel workers on the mats, lol?

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on July 28, 2022

Quote from Nick Lecklider's post:

"In Columbus Collin Palmer has a pretty good club. Using his club into a feeder to the DeSales program which he has rejuvenated. DeSales may be the team to beat now in division two next year that can finally knock off st Paris graham.

In Cleveland area I know Adam Koballa runs arsenal wrestling which I also believe is a pretty successful club.

Others in Columbus are Miron who has always been around and a newer one called persuit wrestling which i think is just a couple years old and Tom Ryan’s son and others are involved in."

Got to give a shout to Crazy Goats for Central Ohio. Ross Thatcher, Jimmy Edwards and Tommy Rowlands. These guys run a great room and teach to the level of the wrestler.

► Add to the Discussion