Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: All Star Match
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 22, 2022

Good out between Rocky Elam and Jacob Warner. Also enjoyed Kerkvliet vs Cassiopi. Anyone else watching?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 22, 2022

I'm watching.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 22, 2022

Great 1st two periods for Sasso then a poor 3rd and Gomez wins 10-9.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 23, 2022

Brady, is there anything Sammy needs to improve on to beat Gomez?

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 23, 2022

Ultimately I just think Gomez is just better. In the last two loses he has come from behind to beat Sammy. If Sam can’t force scramble situations he can’t score. In my mind Gomez’ speed is too much for Sasso. He is past his head, hands, and hip defense before Sammy can react. He also finishes lightening quick which prevents Sasso from turning it into a scramble. He looked like he was drilling on Sammy in the third period.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on November 23, 2022

Well it's not like Gomez kicked his hind end. It was a battle, 10-9. But no doubt, Gomez is a stud, and presents a match-up problem for darn near everyone. Ask Yianni, who Gomez just dominated, 9-3.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on November 23, 2022

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Brady, is there anything Sammy needs to improve on to beat Gomez?"

I'm not Brady, but I'll chime in because I watched the match. Gomez scored four takedowns in the third period all on the same side; my thought after the second and third one was that Sammy should switch his lead leg to take that shot away from Gomez. But he kept the same lead leg and not surprisingly Gomez shot on it again.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 24, 2022

Incredibly tactical move by the Buckeyes coaching staff. Sammy wrestles like himself for two periods, and the coaching staff suggests he let Gomez open up and come back, knowing that the first and/or second move(s) will SURELY be Gomez’s best. So, we just got a look into who Gomez is in preparation for March.

Like in poker when a player is on tilt, he’s more likely to reveal his tell when he feels he’s in the advantage.

We may have lost this battle, but due to strategic & tactical maneuver, we will win the war.

#GoBuckeyes

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 27, 2022

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Incredibly tactical move by the Buckeyes coaching staff. Sammy wrestles like himself for two periods, and the coaching staff suggests he let Gomez open up and come back, knowing that the first and/or second move(s) will SURELY be Gomez’s best. So, we just got a look into who Gomez is in preparation for March.

Like in poker when a player is on tilt, he’s more likely to reveal his tell when he feels he’s in the advantage.

We may have lost this battle, but due to strategic & tactical maneuver, we will win the war.

#GoBuckeyes"

This is the kind of next-level optimism we’ve been missing around here lately. Well done.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on December 3, 2022

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Brady, is there anything Sammy needs to improve on to beat Gomez?"

My $0.02

The best coach I ever had told me (paraphrasing here), "sometimes good technique is bad technique vs. certain opponents." I think Sasso's leg defense is incredible -- except vs. Gomez and Yianni.

Randy Lewis, Hawkeye great, wrote that Jim Jordan was "easy" for him to wrestle because he had learned how to beat his style through earlier battles with Land (I think that's the correct name if my memory serves me well). I think Gomez may be the same way with the leg D of Sammy and Yianni. When he hit both of their legs, he was scoring.

I think more "basic" leg D would serve him better vs Gomez -- but utilizing something he normally doesn't is difficult to do, but not impossible. Dake utilized such a strategy (avoiding a position he normally engages and wins in) vs. D.T. in their epic NCAA finals match.

I think Sammy will get Gomez this year.

► Add to the Discussion