Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Spencer Lee
Matt Schein added to this discussion on December 31, 2022

Anyone see the Lee Ayala match? I saw the pin, but have no context. Lee looked upset as someone.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on December 31, 2022

Spencer lee is still not 100 percent. He wanted Ayala to mff to him. Ayala said no I’m wrestling. Spencer lee didn’t like it and punished him basically.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on December 31, 2022

I'm generally a Spencer Lee fan, but I don't know why he felt entitled to have his teammate medically forfeit to him to give him the title. If he didn't feel like wrestling he should've medically forfeited himself. I agree with Ayala's decision to wrestle if he was physically able to.

Now for me to go off on a tangent and rant: I'm not a fan of wrestlers forfeiting out of a tournament if they're still able to wrestle. We're seeing it more and more at all levels - HS, collegiate, and post-collegiate. If you MFF out when you're not injured it is not in line with the wrestling mentality and when young wrestlers see high level guys do it it sends the wrong message. I'm sure that some of them are legitimate injuries, but you can't convince me that they all are. A lot of times guys MFF out after losing in the quarters or semis because of an "ego injury."

Matt Schein added to this discussion on December 31, 2022

Shouldn’t that be a coach’s decision?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 31, 2022

Spencer Lee is training and competing while hampered by injury. It's been a long road.

It takes the fun out of it.

With each match, he takes on additional risk.

We are all living on borrowed time. I suspect he knows that each time on the mat could be his last.

Probably plays into his attitude with respect to risk/reward. Very little reward and substantial risk.

That being said Emmit Smith had a rough go of it with the Cardinals after a HoF career with the Cowboys. Still felt like he had a lot left in the tank but the game is brutal and there is a definite half-life to one's career.

What I am saying. If Spencer Lee has one more big knee injury, he's likely nearer towards the end of his career.

The longer you go in sport, the more likely you are to incur serious injury. You lose the plasticity of youth after a college career in wrestling.

Also, Can we get back to the other format. I feel like I'm on a 1990s message board.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on December 31, 2022

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"
Also, Can we get back to the other format. I feel like I'm on a 1990s message board."

Agree 100%

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 31, 2022

Please change the format back.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on December 31, 2022

I just emailed Dan about it as well,
Jim

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on December 31, 2022

Jeff, are you saying Spencer didn’t have a legit reason to default?

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 1, 2023

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Jeff, are you saying Spencer didn’t have a legit reason to default?"

Not at all. I said: "If he [Spencer] didn't feel like wrestling he should've medically forfeited himself."

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 1, 2023

Not related to Spencer Lee at all but I just received this from Dan. I don't pretend to understand what it means but it sounds like he can fix it.

"Thanks for the heads-up. It's due to a server update that messes with the now-ancient phpbb system. I will have it all fixed tomorrow"

Dan

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 2, 2023

I seem to remember Tom Brands making a statement that he (Spencer) decides when he is able (wants) to wrestle. On the surface that was a surprising thing to hear from a coach. Speculatively I think it’s more along what Rex was explaining.
On a secondary note there’s all sorts of social media stuff going around from Ayala’s mom. Essentially, she called out Spencer for being a punk towards his teammate. She indicated that Drake has never worked out with Spencer because he doesn’t “work out with the team”. Sounds like not all is right in Iowa City. They do have a history of teammate drama. Ramos-Dennis. Ramos-Gilman. Gilman-Spencer. Sounds to me like the coaching staff doesn’t communicate well with some of their athletes. It’s a bit of a frequent occurrence.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 2, 2023

Jared: when you say “he doesn’t work out with the team” the “he” - as I read it from Ayala’s mom - meant Spencer Lee.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 4, 2023

Yes.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 8, 2023

Rewatched.

Ayala is not near Lee level.

Wrestling with him is not going to improve his game.

The after-match expression was warranted, measured and by a man in control of his emotions. Kudos. When you want to say FU but you but instead you just nonverbally express it.

Maybe you guys know this but on YouTube, BTN is offering Select Matches. Great way to catch up on matches.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next