Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: One Size Fits All
Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 2, 2023

I've written about this concept at length.

Through my own career, I pretty much blindly or at least with blinders on, went and did what was asked of me in the practice room.

Coaches pass down the methods they were taught. Once engrained in the culture, it becomes a habit which is hard to change.

It's just how it works unless something comes along to disrupt that existing culture/model.

A guy like Spencer Lee. 3x NCAA Champion has won everything at every level.

I watched the standing ovation when he entered the arena and the nastiness he directed toward his "teammate".

Thanks Jared! You filled in some missing important information. I figured it was something Ayala said or did. Turns out, it was Ayala by way of Ayala's mom. The irony here is extreme. His mom voiced her opinion on social media and Spencer gave a real showing of disrespect.

Most wrestlers in any D1 room are putting forth extreme effort. 99% percentile of all athletes, all sports, all populations. Ayala falls into this category.

Spencer Lee has already proven himself. That type of effort as part of a team is not going to improve his ability to compete. So, he does his own thing.

The only thing doing that type of practice will accomplish is making him extremely fatigued and ripe for another injury.

They are both not wrong.

Ayala's assessment that Spencer is not a good teammate to him.

Spencer will likely win another NCAA championship by taking an alternate route.

Who do you want on your team?

Also, I suspect that Ayala feels his progress as a wrestler has stalled.

Coaches want that extreme effort and will tell you that's going to improve you. But the truth is that attention to detail and improving position is what is going to make you better.

Hard lesson to learn on the fly and in the face of a culture that rewards the effort flex.

Hard as in trying to find a needle in a haystack.

The effort flex as in hitting a new PR in the weight room on a largely inconsequential lift and hurting yourself in doing so.

So, Ayala is dealing with the OSFA philosophy and Spencer is getting the tailored treatment.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion